namstech
namstech, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  M.S. Signals and Information Processing
31303650

my computer thinks i am in chicago ill. when i live in ind

my computer thinks i am in chicago ill. when i live in indiana
Category: Computer
Expert:  namstech replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
EngineerNajeeb :

Welcome to JustAnswer!

EngineerNajeeb :

How do you get this indication?

EngineerNajeeb :

How do you get this indication i.e. you computer telling that you are in chicago instead of indiana?

Customer :

when i go to different web sites they say go to this store in chicago.

EngineerNajeeb :

for instance, which website asks you this?

Customer :

like this morning i was looking for gps and typed that in to my internet exployer and it came up with walmart and kmart and other stores all around the chicago area instead of around indiana where i live. it didnt always do this i may have changed something and dont know it

EngineerNajeeb :

do you use google for this?

EngineerNajeeb :

I mean searching for the stores etc?

Customer :

im not sure i use what comes up on my internet provider which is comcast i just cked it is google

EngineerNajeeb :

Actually, your IP address is something that determines your location

EngineerNajeeb :

your computer has an IP address from which the website that you access can determine your location

EngineerNajeeb :

let me research on why are you getting the error

Customer :

ok

EngineerNajeeb :

open the link that I pasted above to see what location it detects

EngineerNajeeb :

let me know

EngineerNajeeb :

once you open the page, scroll down to to IP Country and City

EngineerNajeeb :

what city has it detected?

Customer :

98.226.14.31

EngineerNajeeb :

ok please open the following link

EngineerNajeeb :

http://www.whatismyip.com

EngineerNajeeb :

when the page is open, find and click on the link that says IP Address Lookup

EngineerNajeeb :

and click it

EngineerNajeeb :

let me know when you are done to this point

EngineerNajeeb :

I have looked up the IP that your computer is showing

EngineerNajeeb :

i.e. 98.226.14.31

EngineerNajeeb :

and it is giving city as Chicago

EngineerNajeeb :

check the above link

Customer :

yes thats what i am getting to

EngineerNajeeb :

You have to contact your Internet service provider about this

Customer :

is that comcast

EngineerNajeeb :

So it is the IP that is giving your location as chicago

EngineerNajeeb :

COMCAST CABLE COMMUNICATIONS INC

EngineerNajeeb :

yes

EngineerNajeeb :

I think there server is configured for Chicago may be

EngineerNajeeb :

you have to check this with them

EngineerNajeeb :

So its the IP address that is culprit of you indicating as living in Chicago whereas actually you are living in Indiana

Customer :

comcast has to change the ip address

EngineerNajeeb :

Yes they can resolve this IP address issue

Customer :

ok thankyou

namstech, Electrical Engineer
Experience: M.S. Signals and Information Processing