Qin Xia
Qin Xia, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer hard ware, software, 6+ years

Hello, I have an Acer Aspire 5532-5535. Will not charge when

Hello, I have an Acer Aspire 5532-5535. Will not charge when AC adapter plugged in. Took it into Best Buy and they sent me a generic adapter with different ones for end. None of them stay in well, have to tape it in place and still will not charge battery. Says plugged in but not charging. Do you think it is adapter or battery problem?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Qin Xia replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Qin Xia :

Hello, Welcome to JustAnswer!

Qin Xia :

I will help you on this

Qin Xia :

Have you tried to update the BIOS

Qin Xia :

If not, please give a try and follow this

Customer :

how in the wprld do I do that?

Qin Xia :

Give me a minute

Customer :

okay

Qin Xia :

What is your current BIOS version?

Qin Xia :

To activate the BIOS Utility, press F2 during POST (when “Press <F2> to enter Setup” message is prompted
on the bottom of screen).
Press F2 to enter setup.

Qin Xia :

Let me know your current version

Customer :

Acer V1.07, 9/24/2009

Qin Xia :

Ok, I will chekc to see if there is higher version

Customer :

thank you

Qin Xia :

Could you please click here

Qin Xia :

Then choose Notebook, then Aspire, then Aspire 5532

Qin Xia :

Then click Bios tab

Qin Xia :

Then download the new version 1.10

Qin Xia :

After download, then open the zip file

Customer :

I am on my pc , not laptop, will pull up web page on laptop now and do it.

Qin Xia :

After download, then open the zip file

Qin Xia :

Use the one for windows

Customer :

ok

Qin Xia :

Close all the open programs, double click it to flash BIOS

Qin Xia :

NCWXX110.exe

Qin Xia :

After flash, restart the laptop and give 5-10 minute and see if the battery is charging

Qin Xia :

If this one will also not works, very likely your battery is dead and need to be replaced.

Qin Xia :

Again, it is not the problem of your Ac Adapter

Qin Xia :

Keep me updated

Customer :

I have it downloaded but not sure it unzipped.

Qin Xia :

Can you double click it and open the content of the zip file

Customer :

it says the one I am trying to load is not compatible with the version of windows I have. I need to decide if I need an x86(32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version. I am looking now in system info. to decide, which it says my system type is x64-based PC..is this what I need to know?

Customer :

ok, I need to decide what windows is running, trying to figure out where to go to do that.

Qin Xia :

Hello

Qin Xia :

Try this

Qin Xia :

Click Start, then right click Computer

Qin Xia :

Choose Properties

Qin Xia :

What version of windows 7 you have, 32 bit or 64 bit

Qin Xia :

You have 64 bit windows 7

Qin Xia :

Ok, could you please try to use 1.09 version?

Customer :

I did that, it just says Windows 7 home premium. The system type says 64 bit operating system

Customer :

ok

Customer :

do I need to remove what I just downloaded since it hasn't unzipped yet?

Qin Xia :

just close it

Customer :

i did.

Qin Xia :

Have you tried the BIOS version of 1.09, does it work?

Customer :

not yet, working on it.

Customer :

restarting computer now. will get back with you soon.

Customer :

it updated to version 1.09. will see in a few if battery starts to charge. Right now it is not charging.

Qin Xia :

For some models of Acer laptop, the battery will be not charged if the level is low (you said you have 1%). And the BIOS update will solve this issue.. ive some time to see if it can start charging. However, if still not working, your battery is dead and need to be replaced.

Customer :

okay. I think the battery needs replaced, but will wait to see. I have looked at many places on internet to find one for this notebook, difficult to find. Thank you so much for all your help, at least the Bios is updated, even if I don't understand what that does. You were a big help in confirming my thoughts on the dead battery though, I appreciate it!

Qin Xia :

Qin Xia :

This one is compatible, click here

Qin Xia :

If you want to confirm, please let me know the battery part number, is it AS09A75?

Customer :

It is ASO9A61, so it says on battery.

Customer :

but the one you just showed me looks like the one I have. I have found several that LOOK like mine but with different number. Guess they would work.

Qin Xia :

Yes, here is list of compatible replacement for this battery

Qin Xia :

* AS07A31
* AS07A32
* AS07A41
* AS07A42
* AS07A51
* AS07A52
* AS07A71
* AS07A72
* AS09A61
* LC.BTP00.012

Qin Xia :

Any one of them should work.

Customer :

oh thank you very much! I think I will just go ahead and order one instead of piddling around trying to figure out if dead, which I am sure it is. Great job! thanks!

Qin Xia :

Sorry I did not give you much help

Customer :

Will let you go now, appreciate the help!!!

Qin Xia :

You have a good night!

Customer :

oh, yes you did!!

Qin Xia, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer hard ware, software, 6+ years