John P
John P, Information Systems Architect
Experience:  13+ Years of Cutting Edge Systems Engineering, Consulting (Fortune 100 and SMB), and Architecture

My HP printer is model 6120 and the SN is SN-MYZ8K1N8FV.

Customer Question

My HP printer is model 6120 and the SN is SN-MYZ8K1N8FV. If this is not correct. please change '1's' to 'I's'. My question concerns a paper jam. What do I do? Paper shows about 2" when top is put up. Please let me know. Thank you so much. Josephine Appell
My email XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. Thanks again.
Category: Computer
Expert:  John P replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
John P :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X would like to assist you with your paper jam today.

John P :

Please let me know when you are ready Josephine.

Customer :

Go ahead - I am here. JA

John P :

Great, your initials are the same as this site. :)

John P :

Please power the printer off to start.

Customer :

Interesting - any luck with a reply as to my paper jam?

John P :

Yes, I'll walk you through the steps, but first please verify that your printer is powered off.

John P :

I know this is frustrating and I will be here with you throughout the process.

John P :

Also, if your printer is connected via USB, can you please remove the cable from the rear of the printer along with any telephone line inserted into the modem port?

John P :

The one thing we don't want to do is to pull the paperjam out from the top of the unit, unless we absolutely have to, it has a tendency to leave scraps of paper stuck in the printer and cause more issues than a single piece of paper

Customer :

How do I know if the power is off? I pressed the power button and light but the flashing light (indicating unfinished printing request) is still flashing.

John P :

At this point, remove the power cable from the rear of the unit.

John P :

That will turn the unit off for certain.

John P :

Please turn the unit around if you can, we'll need to remove the rear door. You will need to push in on the two release tabs on each side and pull towards you. See the picture below:

John P :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

John P :

Give me a second, that image didn't upload

Customer :

How do I know whether the thin cable or the heavier one is the right one? Both seem difficult to pull out!

John P :

How many cables do you have going to the printer?

John P :

The power cable is to upper left cable when looking at the rear of the unit.

Customer :

Finally - all set!

John P :

The lower left cable is the USB cable.

John P :

All set, with the power off, or you removed the back and pulled out the paperjam?

Customer :

Go ahead - mission accomplished...JA

John P :

Great, have you removed the rear door by pressing inward on both tabs in the rear?

John P :

We have to have the power off of the unit to allow the feed rollers to move freely.

John P :

You also need to pull the rear door towards you once you push in on the tabs.

Customer :

Am trying to pull the paper out...got it!

John P :

perfect.

John P :

Please check the paper to ensure that there's no pieces torn off of it.

John P :

If so, you need to check the rollers to see if you can find the scraps of paper

John P :

Please let me know when to proceed.

Customer :

Any advice as to how to put back back on?

John P :

Yes, just push it back on, you'll hear it snap into place. There is no need to depress the tabs on the door.

Customer :

Thanks - any other advice? ja

John P :

Yes, at this point, I would open up the top of the unit and ensure you do not see any other jammed paper.

John P :

Similar to what you did earlier to see the 2" of paper.

Customer :

ok - is done!

John P :

Do you see anything?

John P :

Great. Now please reconnect the USB cable if you took it off.

John P :

Reconnect the power cable, and turn the printer back on.

John P :

Please let me know if it prints and the error message is gone.

John P :

If not, we'll continue working on it.

Customer :

No - what I had seen earlier is gone. Have plugged in the cable..may I turn it around again?

John P :

Yes, you may

John P :

Please print something as a test once the unit is powered back on, and verify that your problem is solved.

Customer :

Paper does not go it fully.

John P :

Paper isn't feeding into the device?

Customer :

mean "in" instead of "it" - sorry

John P :

Are you seeing an error message displayed on the printer again as well?

John P :

I understand. Press the power button off one more time.

John P :

Remove the power cable afterwards.

John P :

How far into the officejet did the paper go?

John P :

If you open the front, do you see the paper again?

Customer :

Never did see an error message - tried printing but just a line at the top came out and no further message! ja

John P :

So, there is another piece of paper stuck in the document feeder, is this correct?

Customer :

Oh yes, got the paper in where it should go...no further piece of paper stuck, as far as I can see..

John P :

Okay, can you remove all of the paper from the paper tray, and gently pull the stuck piece of paper out of the printer from either the document feeder at the bottom or from the top of the unit?

John P :

Or did I misread your earlier response?

John P :

I apologize it is difficult to visualize what you are seeing without being there in person.

John P :

I want to be thorough.

Customer :

Paper comes out just fine but still won't print...tried to go back and ask for something to be printed but it tells me I am losing your chat...but you will email me back...is this correct? You have been very patient with me and I appreciate it. Ja

John P :

Please bookmark this page to return here, also there should be a link in your email that will take you to this question.

John P :

I cannot access your email, as I am a third party consultant.

John P :

JustAnswer does that to protect your privacy and personal information.

John P :

You can try to print this page if you want.

John P :

I'll be here when you return.

John P :

How did it go?

John P :

Please post back here with any problems that you have. Also, remember if the problem is solved, to please click Accept. It's the only way I get compensated for my time.

John P, Information Systems Architect
Experience: 13+ Years of Cutting Edge Systems Engineering, Consulting (Fortune 100 and SMB), and Architecture
Expert:  John P replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi - I guess the problam was that I erased the current requests for printing so requested something else and it printed ok...so thank you for your help - I think all is ok. may I access you in particular if I have a further problem with this? How?
Expert:  John P replied 3 years ago.

You can use this thread or request me if you need to open a new question. Thank you again.