Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
Experience:  Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration
2888018

Sony Vaio laptop. Keyboard not working. Have to use keyboard

Customer Question

Sony Vaio laptop. Keyboard not working. Have to use keyboard assessory to access computer. Mouse pad works on laptop, but not on the wireless mouse assessory.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Justin replied 6 years ago.
Please try this.

Go to start, in the searchbox type:

devmgmt.msc hit enter.

Look for keyboard, hit the > next to it to expand. Some listings should be in there, anything with an exclamation or red X? If not, please type out what's listed there.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Under Keyboards are 2 things: 1) HID keyboard device 2) standard ps/2 keyboard.

Neither one is with a red x or esclamation. Both devices are working properly with up-to-date drivers.

Expert:  Justin replied 6 years ago.
I need you to right click on both keys, and click delete. Unplug your external keyboard, reboot (use the power down button if necessary). Let Windows start back up, give it a minute or two to reinstall the keyboard drivers.

If it doesn't work at that rate, you likely have a defective keyboard in need of replacement. Keyboards are pretty simple for laptops. If ANY of the key's worked we'd diagnose differently, but since none of them do, a replacement may be your best bet.

Once again, this isn't an answer, I need the results of the above steps. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Okay, I un-installed the keyboards and restarted the computer. At first I was scared that I had lost all keyboards and would not be able to log on with my password XXXXX the computer restarts.

The laptop keyboard did not work, still, but the mouse was still working. When I plugged the wireless keyboard, it still worked. And now the mouse works too. So that's the one improvement.

I am satisfied with your explanation with regard the the keyboard on the laptop going bad. I can get that replaced for a reasonable price I'm sure.

I sure don't like Windows Vista though. Is the upgrade to Windows 7 a good idea?

Expert:  Justin replied 6 years ago.
I'm going to leave this as an answer, but do not feel required to accept at this point as I have further information for you below that may help. I'd like to make sure you're 100% satisfied before you pay a dime. Just respond with a reply rather than an accept if you want me to assist you further.

I love windows 7 over Vista. Especially from a technician standpoint. But for an overall user, its faster and MUCH more stable.

As for finding a keyboard for your model, I'm 100% sure I can find a cheaper keyboard than what sony will recommend (likely the same exact one they will sell you at an inflated price). My availability may be a little limited today but I promise to check back.

If you're interested in me researching a price, I will find one, and also give you directions with pictures on how to replace the keyboard as its a very easy process (the hardest being, getting to the keyboard in most cases).
Expert:  Justin replied 6 years ago.
Hey there. Noticed you accepted. I'm going to leave this open for you to continue replying. Did you want Mr to find you a.replacement? You already paid, I just want to make sure you're 100% good to go. So reply if you need further assistance. And thank you.