Qin Xia
Qin Xia, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer hard ware, software, 6+ years
23665630

My Screen Resolution Print Size is set to 150%. I just rebooted

Customer Question

My Screen Resolution Print Size is set to 150%. I just rebooted and everything is back to default 100%, even though it says 150%. I have tried resetting to 100%, rebooting and going back to 150% and there is no change. Everything is small and the pages are very vertical in format.

I tried to do a System Restore and that failed.

Any ideas. Thanks!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Christopher James replied 4 years ago.
hi
welcome to just answer

First, I'd like to have you try removing the printer and reinstalling. This can be accomplished by doing the following:
* Unplug the printer from your computer
* Go to Start->Control Panel->Printers
* Right-click on your printer and choose Delete.
* Confirm that you want to delete your printer.
* Once the printer is removed, plug your printer back into your computer
* Test printing something that usually came out tiny.

thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Printer? This has NOTHING to do with a printer. No printer is hooked up to this computer!

This is resolution on the screen - MONITOR - which is displaying at minimal default setting of 100% even though I have had it set at 150% since I got this computer new about 2 months ago. This suddenly happened after a Shockwave crash on the computer. I rebooted and now I can't make the computer recognize0 the 150% screen resolution print size.
sir,

please go this link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-your-screen-resolution

you will get how to adjust resolution

thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have already done all of this. The screen resolution is set to MAX. Has been since the day I set up the computer. The print size on the screen is static at 100% which is too small. It has been working fine at 150%. It is set at 150% but the resolution is at 100% just like it was when I set it up about 60 days ago. I cannot get the system to recognize the 150% setting.

The problem is unresolved.
Expert:  Wiz of All replied 4 years ago.

1. Open Screen Resolution by clicking the Start button

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
    , clicking Control Panel, and then, under Appearance and Personalization, clicking Adjust screen resolution.

2. Click the drop-down list next to Resolution, move the slider to the resolution to Recommended, and then click Apply.

Now Go to Appearance > Display.
On the left of the screen you will se 'Set Custom Text Size Display'. Select 150%

Hope this would solve the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The screen resolution is already set for recommended which is MAX setting. Already went through all of that.

I really don't understand this. I have changed nothing, just a reboot and now the screen is displaying at default (100%) even though I have it set at 150%. I tried going back to 100%, reboot, then 125%, reboot, then 150% reboot. No change in text or element size on screen.

The computer will not recognize any of these setting changes. Otherwise it appears to be working fine.

I am presently resetting to an earlier System Restore point and going to try a full System Restore again. The earlier one failed.
Do you have NVIDIA card in your system?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nFORCE 630i

DAC Type: Integrated RAMCAC

Bios Info: Version 6.73.32.12.1

Properties says graphics card is working fine.
Please go to Nvidia Control Panel and Click to Add Custom Resolution..Create desired resolution and click Test and if it's ok with you use it.

Let me know if that works.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have the Nvidia Control Panel Open.

Display Resolution is MAX = 1600 x 1200

Color Quality is MAX = 32 bit

The 2nd attempt at System Restore Failed.

Moreover make sure you are using the latest Windows7 driver set downloaded from nVidia's site.

Once you’re inside, click on graphics drivers in the grey box in the window and it will try to scan your PC for relevant graphics drivers.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is what the nVidia scan found. The release date is AFTER I received my computer. The only thing relevant I see is "numerous bug fixes". Should I downloaded it? I don't want to create more problems. Please advise. Thanks.

GEFORCE/ION DRIVER RELEASE 256

Version:
258.96 WHQL
Release Date:
2010.07.19
Operating System:
Windows 7, Windows Vista
Language:
English (U.S.)
File Size:
94.3 MB

RELEASE HIGHLIGHTSSUPPORTED PRODUCTSADDITIONAL INFORMATION
This is a WHQL-certified release from the Release 256 family of drivers (versions 256.xx to 259.xx). This driver package supports GeForce 6, 7, 8, 9, 100, 200, 300, and 400-series desktop GPUs as well as ION desktop GPUs. Learn more about Release 256 drivers here .

New in Release 258.96

Adds support for GeForce GTX 460 .
Adds support for NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround technology. Learn more about this technology including the hardware and software requirements here.
Adds additional performance increases for GeForce GTX 400 Series GPUs in several PC games (these improvements are in addition to the previously reported Release 256 improvements). The following are examples of some of the most significant improvements measured with GeForce GTX 480. Results will vary depending on your GPU and system configuration:
Up to 11% in Aliens vs. Predator (1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF – Tessellation on)
Up to 7% in Crysis: Warhead (SLI – 1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF – Gamer)
Up to 4% in H.A.W.X (SLI – 1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF – Very High)
Up to 10% in Just Cause 2 (SLI – 1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF - Concrete Jungle)
Up to 6% in Metro 2033 (1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF – Tessellation on)
Up to 7% in Metro 2033 (SLI – 1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF – Tessellation on)
Up to 10% in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat (1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF)
Up to 12% in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat (SLI – 1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF)
Up to 4% in World in Conflict (SLI – 1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF)
Upgrades PhysX System Software to version 9.10.0224.
Upgrades HD Audio driver version 1.0.15.0 (for supported GPUs).
Includes numerous bug fixes. Refer to the release notes on the documentation tab for information about the key bug fixes in this release.
Users without US English operating systems can select their language and download the International driver here.
New in Release 256 Drivers

Adds support for Blu-ray 3D with NVIDIA 3D Vision technology. Learn more about the hardware and software requirements here .
Increases performance for GeForce GTX 400 Series GPUs in several PC games. The following are examples of some of the most significant improvements measured with GeForce GTX 480. Results will vary depending on your GPU and system configuration:
Up to 14% in Aliens vs. Predator (1920x1200 noAA/AF – Tessellation on)
Up to 4% in Batman: Arkham Asylum (1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF PhysX=High)
Up to 5% in BattleForge (1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF – Very High settings)
Up to 5% in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF)
Up to 4% in Crysis: Warhead (1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF – Enthusiast setting)
Up to 24% in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (1920x1200 no AA/AF)
Up to 9% in Far Cry 2 (2560x1600 8xAA/16xAF)
Up to 25% in Just Cause 2 (2560x1600 no AA/AF - Concrete Jungle)
Up to 7% in Metro 2033 (1920x1200 no AA/16xAF – Tessellation on)
Up to 40% in Metro 2033 with SLI ((1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF – Tessellation on)
Up to 8% in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat (1920x1200 no AA/AF – Day)
Up to 110% in Stone Giant with SLI (2650x1600 – Tessellation on, DoF on)
Up to 6% in The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena (2560x1600 no AA/AF)
Up to 9% in Unigine: Tropics (2560x1600 no AA/AF – OpenGL)
Up to 5% in 3DMark Vantage (Performance and Extreme Presets)
Up to 19% with Transparency AA (1920x1200 4xTrSS – measured in Crysis)
Adds support for OpenGL 4.0 for GeForce GTX 400 Series GPUs.
Adds support for CUDA Toolkit 3.1 which includes significant performance increases for double precision math operations. See CUDA Zone for more details.
Adds support for new extreme Antialiasing modes for 3-way SLI PCs, including up to SLI48x AA for GeForce 200 series GPUs and up to SLI96x AA for GeForce GTX 400 series GPUs.
Adds support for a new ‘Quality’ mode for NVIDIA’s Ambient Occlusion control panel feature.
Adds a new NVIDIA Control Panel setup page for SLI and PhysX for ultimate control over multi-gpu configurations.
Adds a new NVIDIA Control Panel feature for ultimate control over CUDA GPUs, allowing the user to effectively choose which GPU will power each CUDA application.
Additional Information:

Supports the new GPU-accelerated features in Adobe CS5 .
Supports GPU-acceleration for smoother online HD videos with Adobe Flash 10.1. Learn more here .
Supports the new version of MotionDSP's video enhancement software, vReveal, which adds support for HD output. NVIDIA customers can download a free version of vReveal that supports up to SD output here .
Supports DirectCompute with Windows 7 and GeForce 8-series and later GPUs.
Supports OpenCL 1.0 ( Open Computing Language ) for all GeForce 8-series and later GPUs.
Supports OpenGL 3.3 for GeForce 8-series and later GPUs.
Supports single GPU and NVIDIA SLI technology on DirectX 9, DirectX 10, DirectX 11, and OpenGL, including 3-way SLI, Quad SLI, and SLI support on SLI-certified Intel X58-based motherboards.
Supports GPU overclocking and temperature monitoring by installing NVIDIA System Tools software .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where does Shockwave fit into this problem? Shockwave has crashed again, just looking at some 9/11 photos on a New York Times blog. I have also notice that EVERY TIME I reboot, I'm seeing momentarily "Aw Snap" with an frown face in B&W which is what I see when Shockwave Crashes.

Is there a way to reload Shockwave? Could something be corrupt in that program that is causing this?

Thanks.........
With regards XXXXX XXXXX Flash crashes, below are a few possible causes of the issue and work-arounds that may help. These do not work for everyone; please only make changes you feel comfortable making.

1. You may be on an outdated version of Google Chrome. Check if you are on the latest version by going to Tools > About Google Chrome.

2. Hardware acceleration of Adobe Flash may be causing crashes. Hardware acceleration is used to speed up performance of your graphics hardware. If your video drivers are outdated, hardware acceleration can cause issues with Flash. Try turning off hardware acceleration by right-clicking the video, selecting Settings, and deselecting the "hardware acceleration" checkbox.

Which laptop are you using?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Checked Google Chrome and it is up to date. I can work on the Shockwave crash after I get this resolution issue fixed.

SHOULD I DOWNLOAD THE nVIDIA DRIVER UPDATE???
Yes, if the scan says you there are bug fixes then you should.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Doing it now, will advise. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Unreal! nVIDIA says the drivers are intended for Windows 7 32 bit system and that is not what my OS is. Give me a break. That is exactly what it is, and the nVIDIA control panel verifies that. The computer control panel verifies that, programs like iTunes were downloaded in 32 bit format after the 16 bit DL failed, so they would work.

I am at a loss to understand this..........
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Actually, the computer is 64 BIT, so I am downloading those nVIDIA drivers now.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, the nVIDIA driver update successfully installed. REBOOT. Applied the 150% Type Size Resolution. REBOOT = NO CHANGE. Still at 100% default resolution, even though it is set at 150%. I don't get it.
I am sorry this could not help you get through the problem. I would like another expert to answer this question.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I appreciate all your help. Everything you suggested seems logical and reasonable. In 30 years of using desktop computers, I have never seen anything like this. Can't wait to purge MS everything from my system. I'm going with Google Chrome OS the moment it is available! Thanks again!
Expert:  D. Marino replied 4 years ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answers, My name is Denise.

I see you have set your display several times and they are not responding can you give this a try and let me know if it helps. In windows 7 there is also a way to enlarge your screen resolution for people who are having trouble seeing the screen. Try this and see if it fixes the problem ok. Go to start, control panel, ease of access, and choose under the ease of access center, optimize visual display. It should be the third choice down on the list "make things on screen larger" choose the blue-change the size of text and icons. when you choose this the control panel and personalization screen comes up but this time you can choose: Set custom text size (DPI) open this use the scroll down to change it to 150% hit ok and close. Hit apply on the easy access screen and give it a try.This should lock the settings to the correct print on the screen.

Expert:  Qin Xia replied 4 years ago.

As justanswer experts, we are all here to try to solve this problem as you have seen many experts give their inputs to solve this problem.

If I read your problem correctly, seemed that font size simply not applying. I have seen this before, so I will give my input.

1. When you change text size, there is check box for "XP DPI Scaling", make sure you check it.

If not working, then you probably need to create a new user account. This is what I did in one computer has similar problem

2.
Click the Start button, click Control Panel, click User Accounts and Family Safety, and then click User Accounts.
Click Manage another account.
Click Create a new account.
Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type, and then click Create Account.

Just my input to help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delay in replying, I was up all night working on this problem. I don't remember seeing the check box "XP DPI Scaling" Let me go look for that. NEW USER ACCOUNT: I have never set one up before. My only question is, will I be locked out of my current work. This is just one of my blind spots on PC software management. If you could let me know, that would be great. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I found and checked the "XP DPI Scaling" which allowed me to "APPLY" the 150% Print Resolution. However, upon reboot, nothing changed. Please advise if creating a new user account will lock me out of any files or work. Thanks!
Expert:  Qin Xia replied 4 years ago.
Creating new user account will make some changes. Please create an administer type account so have authorizarion to get files in the account you are using now.

If not wprking, it will not hurt and just delete the new account.

Again, if not working, I will opt out
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I'm back home. I've give this New User Account a try. Thanks!
Expert:  Qin Xia replied 4 years ago.
Keep me updated. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The phone has rung non-stop. I am worn out. I'll do this in the morning when I get up and let you know what happens. Thanks for your help. I hope this works!
Expert:  Qin Xia replied 4 years ago.
Don't worry. Just let me know.
You have a good night!