Adam Lowrance
Adam Lowrance, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  10 plus years of work experience with Windows, networking, pc and laptop hardware, MS Office
26447752

you dont have appropriate permission to perform this operati

"you don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation"

When I push the send/receive button in Outlook 2007
Category: Computer
Expert:  Adam Lowrance replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Adam Lowrance :

Hello there, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Customer :

Thanks

Adam Lowrance :

Ok this seems to be a fairly common problem

Customer :

great

Adam Lowrance :

Ok, lets try this. Open the Computer Icon on the start menu. Then the C drive, then users

Customer :

done

Adam Lowrance :

Open your user account

Customer :

done

Adam Lowrance :

ok, do you see a roaming folder?

Customer :

yes

Adam Lowrance :

ok open the roaming folder, then microsoft, then outlook

Customer :

done

Adam Lowrance :

did it give any sort of permission error?

Customer :

i just opened the folder. didn't try to open a file yet. No error.

Adam Lowrance :

how many files are in that folder?

Customer :

5

Adam Lowrance :

ok, do you see one that ends in .ses

Customer :

ther is a .srs

Adam Lowrance :

delete that file

Customer :

done

Adam Lowrance :

reopen outlook and try the send/receive

Customer :

its working. needs all of my passwords for the different accounts. I know 2 of the 3 and those account have already downloaded! Greata job. Will they auto download when I open Outlook from now on?

Adam Lowrance :

It should, that is just a hiccup with that ses file for some reason

Customer :

How did that file get created?

Adam Lowrance :

It is a database file for outlook. If it gets damaged you delete it and outlook will recreate it.

Customer :

outlook is not remembering any of my email passwords anymore. It wants me to enter them everytime. is there a way to get it to work like it did before?

Adam Lowrance :

let me check something real quick

Adam Lowrance :

On the Tools menu, click Account Settings.

On the E-mail tab, click your e-mail account.

Customer :

done

Adam Lowrance :

Do you see anything that says save password?

Customer :

yes it is checked on all 3 of my accounts

Adam Lowrance :

Ok, uncheck it, exit outlook. reopen and then go back and recheck and enter the password XXXXX that screen. See if it will save it then

Customer :

k

Customer :

nope

Adam Lowrance :

ok, this srs file is being a headache lol

Adam Lowrance :

ok, it looks like a new outlook identity will have to be created to fix the problem

Customer :

do u mean erase all of my email accounts and recreate each one?

Adam Lowrance :

no, the identityion outlook is what stores all of the downloaded email, contacts, calendar info

Customer :

will I loose my information and emails and email folders?

Adam Lowrance :

it will be several steps so have you got plenty of time?

Adam Lowrance :

no your email will be ok

Customer :

im in if u are! :)

Adam Lowrance :

ok, i am going to post information from microsoft. I will be here to guide you through it though

Adam Lowrance :

Create a new Outlook Profile

Create a new Outlook profile, and then configure the new profile to use the personal folders (.pst) file that was used by the damaged profile. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Locate the .pst file

To locate the .pst file that your profile uses, follow these steps for the version of Outlook that you are using.

Adam Lowrance :

For Microsoft Office Outlook 2007

1. Start Outlook.

2. On the Tools menu, click Account Settings.

3. On the E-mail tab, click your e-mail account.

4. In the Account settings dialog box, under Selected e-mail account delivers new e-mail messages to the following location, you will see the path and the file name for the .pst file that is associated with your e-mail profile. For example, the path and the file name may resemble the following:
    C:\Documents and Settings\ user_name \Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Personal Folders(1).pst

5. Note the path and the file name for the .pst file that is associated with your e-mail profile.

Customer :

got it

Adam Lowrance :
  • Click Start, and then click Run.

• Copy and paste, or type the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:
    control panel

Note If you are using a 64-bit version of Windows, double-click View 32-bit Control Panel in Control Panel to display the Mail icon.

• Open the Mail Setup dialog box:

For Windows 7:

• If Control Panel is in either Large icons or Small icons view, click Mail. The Mail Setup dialog box appears.

• If Control Panel is in Category view, under View by, click to select either Large icons or Small icons, and then click Mail. The Mail Setup dialog box appears.

For Windows Vista or Windows XP:

• If Control Panel is in Classic View, double-click Mail. The Mail Setup dialog box appears.

• If Control Panel is in Category View, under Control Panel, click Switch to Classic View for Windows XP, or click Classic View for Windows Vista, and then double-click Mail. The Mail Setup dialog box appears.

• In the Mail Setup dialog box, click Show Profiles.

• On the General tab, under When starting Microsoft Office Outlook, use this profile, click Prompt for a profile to be used, and then click Add.

• In the Profile Name box, type the name that you want to use for the new email profile, and then click OK.

• In the E-mail Accounts dialog box, click Add a new e-mail account, and then click Next.

• Click the appropriate server type for your new email account, and then click Next.

• Type your account information in the required boxes, and then click Next.

• Click Finish, and then click OK.
  • Adam Lowrance :

how are you coming?

Customer :

Should I do all 3 accounts like this or just pick one?

Adam Lowrance :

just one for right now

Customer :

k. it's searching for settings.

Customer :

k. It's done.

Adam Lowrance :

are you still in the mail options?

Customer :

no

Adam Lowrance :

• Click Start, and then click Run.

control panel

• Open the Mail Setup dialog box:

For Windows 7:

For Windows Vista or Windows XP:

• On the General tab, under When starting Microsoft Office Outlook, use this profile, click Always use this profile.

• In the Always use this profile list, select the profile that you want to use, and then click OK.

• 9:19 PM

this should be the last step

Customer :

All of my mail is gone. Do I need to import it somehow?

Customer :

i switched back to the original and its there. just not in my new profile.

Adam Lowrance :

sorry, one more step i didnt see at the bottom

Adam Lowrance :

For Outlook 2007

1. Start Outlook.

4. Click Change Folder under Selected e-mail account delivers new e-mail messages to the following location at the bottom of the Account Settings dialog box.

5. Click New Outlook Data File, click Office Outlook Personal Folders File, and then click OK.

6. Locate and then click the .pst file that was used by the damaged profile, and then click OK.

Adam Lowrance :

this will bring all your old email in

Adam Lowrance :

how is it coming along?

Customer :

worked. im getting an error has occured in the script on this page. is that a concern? Also Im closing it now to see if it remembers my password. Is there a way to get rid of th eduplicate Personal Folders at the top of the list or should I not worry about it?

Adam Lowrance :

best thing to do is right click on the one not being used. you should be able to close it

Customer :

Great. I hate to even tell u after all of this but, its still not remembering passwords now. Sorry uughh

Adam Lowrance :

omg lol. how many email accounts are showing up?

Customer :

just the new one

Adam Lowrance :

ok, let me check some more

Adam Lowrance :

ok, there is a moee advanced step but it can be a little risky

Customer :

in what way/

Adam Lowrance :

it involved editing the registry. there is a very small chance typing something wrong could make the computer crash

Customer :

lol. What do you think?

Adam Lowrance :

I am going to paste the instructions below and let you look them over. I dont think it will be a problem as long as you follow them exactly.

Customer :

k

Adam Lowrance :
  • Exit all programs.

• Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box , and then click OK

• 3. Locate and then click the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider

• On the Edit menu, click Permissions.

• Click the registry key for the user who is currently logged on. Then, make sure that the Read and Full Control permissions are both set to Allow.

• Click Advanced. Then, verify that the user who is currently logged on is selected, that Full Control is listed in the Permissions column, and that This Key and Subkeys is listed in the Apply to column.

• Click to select the Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects check box.

• Click Apply, and then click Yes to continue.

• Click Ok two times

• Double-click the Protected Storage System Provider key to expand the key. Click the user subkey folder that is directly underneath the Protected Storage System Provider key, click Delete on the Edit menu, and then click Yes in the warning message dialog box.

The user subkey folder resembles the following example:

S-1-5-21-124525095-708259637-1543119021-16701

Note For every identity that you have, there may be a subkey under the Protected Storage System Provider key. To resolve this issue in all identities, you must delete all the user subkeys folders that are under the Protected Storage System Provider key.

• On the Registry menu, click Exit. Then, restart the computer.
  • Customer :

can i leave this open?

Customer :

also dont have start-run in Vista

Adam Lowrance :

yes, except for the last step it wants you to restart

Adam Lowrance :

hold down the windows key and hit r

Customer :

very cool

Adam Lowrance :

dont restart until you reply back

Customer :

im the only user on the computer but there are 4 to choose from. How do I know which one is actually logged on as?

Adam Lowrance :

what options are there to select from?

Customer :

XXXXX XXXXX (me)

Customer :

SYSTEM

Customer :

Administrators(XXXXX XXXXX...

Customer :

RESTRICTED

Customer :

im using me

Adam Lowrance :

is it the one thats highlighted?

Customer :

they all look the same. When i log in though, it is my name. i don't know why th eothers are there. I just followed the steps to "apply to child objects" and it said reg editor stopped working properly and closed. also the wording for that said "desendants" not "child" anything.

Adam Lowrance :

great, i love it when microsoft does not update their kb files

Adam Lowrance :

I wish we could use remote desktop, I could guide you through this so much easier.

Customer :

it did the same thing for administrator. Says it will let me know if a soultion is found and restarted reg editor

Customer :

i have it installed

Adam Lowrance :

Company policy says we cannot use it

Customer :

k

Customer :

well, ill let you off the hook. thanks for trying so hard. i'll deal with the password XXXXX for a bit and maybe try again tomorrow.

Adam Lowrance :

This is the point where I say you had probably take it to either a computer shop or the local computer guru. I am nervous about that registry error

Adam Lowrance :

Let me send you the link to the microsoft article.

Customer :

no problem. thanks!

Adam Lowrance :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290684

It will be method three. A computer tech will be able to do it in about two minutes.

Customer :

thanks man. goodnight.

Experience: 10 plus years of work experience with Windows, networking, pc and laptop hardware, MS Office