Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Certificate Course In Computer Maintenance
15197395

Ok, all video on my computer is choppy, the audio is fine,

Customer Question

Ok, all video on my computer is choppy, the audio is fine, Hulu, netflix, youtube, anything, very choppy, basically just a bunch of freeze frames with smooth audio. My system is Windows xp, labtop is Dell Latitude D800 year 2005, got it a year and half ago, video worked fine until four months ago or so. I'm pretty sure I have latest version of Adobe Flash player, don't know what else to do, looked a lot online for help, couldn't find anything that great, tried a lot of stuff, tried Adobe Shockwave, didn't help, tried disabling hardware accelleration, didn't work, got Microsoft essentials, cleaned my computer, upgraded memory, wtf!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
WELCOME TO JUST ANSWER!! My name isXXXXX will assist you to solve or identify your problem.

Do you use firefox?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I thought Mozilla and Firefox were the same thing, but yes I do
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
Yes they are same I just ask to make sure of that anyway do you face this problem with Internet Explorer also?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I ran into other problems with IE, a bunch of months ago I used this answer service and the answer was to swith to mozilla
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.

Please reset firefox and then check the issue after that please let me know the results.

To reset preferences:

1. Close down Firefox completely: At the top of the Firefox window, click the File menu, and select the Exit menu item.Close down Firefox completely: On the menu bar, click the Firefox menu, and select the Quit Firefox menu item.Close down Firefox completely: At the top of the Firefox window, click the File menu, and select the Quit menu item.
  2. In Windows, click Start, open the All Programs list, and navigate to the Mozilla Firefox folder. In the Mozilla Firefox folder, select Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode).Hold down the option key, as you start Firefox.Go to your Terminal and run: firefox -safe-mode You may need to specify the Firefox installation path (e.g. /usr/lib/firefox-3.5). Firefox should start up with a Firefox Safe Mode dialog.

3. To reset your user preferences, click to put a check mark by Reset all user preferences to Firefox defaults.

4. To apply your changes, click Make Changes and Restart.

Firefox will restart with your settings changed back to the defaults.

Edited by Sudipto on 9/7/2010 at 8:14 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
alright,done
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
Do you still face the same problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yup, just went to hulu and its still freeze frame
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
OK
Now Click on Tools-->Clear Recent history

Then Select Everything from the drop down box beside "Time Range to Clear"

Then Click on Clear Now and check the issue after all the cache memory is cleared.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Theres only "Clear private data" under tools, is that what you mean?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
Please click on Help and select About Mozilla Firefox and let me know the exact version of firefox........
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
version 3.0.1.9
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
I think that could be your problem please download the latest version from the link below and install it after that follow my steps that I have provided to clear the cache and let me know the results..

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgrade.html
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hello
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
Yes...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, for some reason everything screwed up for a while, I kept typing things and pressing the "reply to expert" button and it wouldn't go through, just kepts refreshing the page I was on basically anyways

The problem remains, still very very choppy, horrible
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
Do you have downloaded and install the latest version to make sure check the version of Firefox and let me know...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
version 3.6 8
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
OK
Do you have cleared the memory by following the steps after installing the latest version?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, I did all that
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
OK
It can happen due to slow internet speed also please open the link below and click on "Begin Test" and let me know the results..

http://www.speedtest.net/
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, so it wanted to scan my registry first, but as a control, I tested the speed, I'm not sure which peice of data you want but Under Earthlink it has three our of five stars, I'm am roughly 15% below the ISP average, download speed 5.5mb/s
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
OK
5.5mb/s is a good speed so the problem lies anywhere else please download and install CCLeaner a free tool from this LINK and then watch the video to know how to use it after that check the issue and let me know...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, I'm sorry, but I have to go pick up some babyshower cards at this local printing place that my girlfriend put there, they close at 6 so I gotta go now, Its my girlfriend's fault, but I'll be back in 15 mins.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Alright, I came back, followed all instructions in the vid, exited out of mozilla, repeated the ccleaner process again then oped mozilla, went to hulu and the vids are still freeze frame, any other ideas?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
This can happen due to viruses also please open the link and follow the steps one by one to use Malwarbytes free version to clean your PC then check the issue...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/how-to-use-malwarebytes-anti-malware-tutorial#tutorial
Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
Experience: Certificate Course In Computer Maintenance
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello again, so I downloaded AVG, it took three hours or so, then scanned my entire computer, found two threats, a virus and a trojan or something, got rid of them. Checked the issue, still freeze frame.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
AVG?? I told you to download and use Malwarebytes and you have downloaded AVG why?

Edited by Sudipto on 9/8/2010 at 7:15 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thats the link you sent
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
Please open the link below and let me know where you can see AVG in the webpage..??

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Its right in the center middle of the screen big letters AVG AntiVirus 9.0, doesn't matter now, I just downloaded Malware and doing a scan
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
OK
After the scan let me know the results........
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Scan complete, no malware found
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
I am also out of ideas I will open the question so that other experts can help you with this issue...you will be notified by email as soon as anyone reply you.

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Cool well thanks for your efforts
Expert:  Magic C. replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm Magic, and thanks for asking your question on JustAnswer. I will be glad to help you.

You said that you are using a Latitude D800, correct?

What security protection(s) are you using on your computer? You can check by clicking Start > Control Panel > Security Center.

You said that you installed AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials. Do you have any other security protections?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, don't know if you're still there yes Latitude D800
Expert:  Magic C. replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I'm still here. It will take a few posts back and forth to resolve the issue, but I am here to help.

Alright, from what I can see about your laptop, it has an onboard Nvidia video adapter. I would first download the latest Nvidia video drivers for your chipset from this page:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=u s&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R105341&SystemID=LAT_PNT_PNT_D800&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=5007&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=3&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=6&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=135945

Next, we'll need to remove any additional security protections. Which is the protection that you are going to use to protect your computer? I saw that you downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials and AVG 9.0. You cannot have more than 1 antivirus protection on your computer because it will cause conflicts. Look in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel to verify what security programs you may have installed. Look for things like "Internet security", "antivirus", or "anti-spyware". You may also see things like AVG, Norton, McAfee, Microsoft Security Essentials, Lavasoft Ad-aware, etc.

Lastly, we'll need to remove and reinstall the flash player for Internet Explorer and Firefox.
1) Download the Flash Player uninstaller from here and save it to your Desktop - http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html. Remember to close ALL internet browsers before doing this (check for firefox.exe and iexplore.exe in Task Manager).
2) Restart your computer.
3) Reinstall the Flash Player for Internet Explorer and Firefox here:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html#main_ManualInstaller

Save both downloads to your Desktop. Then open the files to install them.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi again, I'm downloading the nvidea(sic) driver now, I don't have any virus protection, I hate them, I download them and scan, get rid of any nasties, then remove the software and use ccleaner to get rid of any existing files pertaining to that antivirus software.

Its rediculous, most antivirus software has real-time protection or whatever it is, it slows my computer to shit! I go to the task window and go to processes, my cpu usage when antivirus software is installed on my computer is 100% at all times, thats why I don't have it.

But, right now I'm dl ing the drivers for nvidia or what not so I think that will take a minute
Expert:  Magic C. replied 4 years ago.
What does your CPU usage show right now as you're using the computer day-to-day?

From what I have seen on a similar laptop to yours, it's to use Microsoft Security Essentials or Avira Antivir. Those are the 2 most "processor-friendly" antivirus programs I have seen. Microsoft Security Essentials will provide at least some type of protection.

Usually if you are having problems with your antivirus not acting correctly or your computer being slow, it's usually due to some type of trojan or other malware on your computer.

First, try going through the steps of fully uninstalling the previous Flash Player, then installing the newest one.

Next, check what processes are taking up your CPU time in Task Manager. If you see any strange names or processes like svchost.exe or iexplore.exe taking up more than 60% of CPU, then there's something else going on.

Also, make sure to remove ALL toolbars from Internet Explorer, especially MyWebSearch and others.

Do you remember exactly what trojans or other infections were removed by AVG and/or Malwarebytes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey, so I downloaded the nvidia thing, now I'm trying to run the flash uninstaller but it says I have "windows messenger" open and it will automatically start when it is closed, but I checked the task manager and its not in there under applications, dont konw
Expert:  Magic C. replied 4 years ago.
You may still have the old Windows Messenger that came with Windows XP installed. I recommend removing it since it's no longer supported (and can cause problems). I would shutdown your computer completely (Start > Turn Off Computer > Shutdown), then turn in back on and login to Windows again. Then do the following:

Click Start > Run, then copy/paste RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove into the Run box, then click OK. That should remove Windows Messenger.

Afterward, run the uninstallation for Flash player, then restart again (Start > Turn Off > Restart). Then, install the latest Flash using the 2 downloads from the link I gave earlier (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html#main_ManualInstaller)

Let me know if this helps.
Expert:  Magic C. replied 4 years ago.
Also, how much RAM do you have installed on this computer? IF you have anything lower than 512MB, you're going to have a hard time getting video to play smoothly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Good morning,

I remember that the AVG got rid of "Pakes" virus, and one other that I can't remember

When I ran malwarebytes, nothing showedup

I recently upgraded my ram up to about a gig and a half, that's what I figured the problem was so I did that a while ago, but video freezing still happens. So now I'm going to go through the processes you suggested.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Heres a nother thing to dwell on, So I just did all the things you asked, and went to Hulu, watched a clip and checked my cpu usage, it was at 100 percent, could the freeze frame problem be with the cpu?
Expert:  Magic C. replied 4 years ago.
It's very possible that it could just be your CPU. Today's movie clips are much more processor intensive and built more for the latest processors, especially high-quality clips like those above 360p resolution. What you are seeing with your processor being maxed out is not uncommon on computers with older processors.

What process exactly was taking up 100% CPU usage? If you take a look at the Processes tab, it should show which program is taking up the CPU.

Are you using any other security programs other than AVG? I remember you said you installed Microsoft Security Essentials earlier.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Both avg and microsoft security essentials have been removed from my computer, I currently have Malwarebytes installed.

But the thing is, hulu and other videos used to run smoothly, this only started up like 6 weeks ago. Also, I just discoverd,google earth barely works too, (choppy and slow)
Expert:  Magic C. replied 4 years ago.
Hmm...that sounds like the problem might be your video drivers.

Have you ever had any other security software other than AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials on this laptop, like Norton or McAfee? If so, I recommend running each one of their removal tools as well as the AVG removal tools:

Norton removal tool - http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&selected_nav=&pvid=&docurl=20080710133024EN

McAfee removal tool - http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

AVG removal tool - http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools

Next, try creating a new user account that has administrative privileges. You can do this by going to Start > Control Panel > User Accounts. This will test to see if your user account is corrupted.

After creating the new user account, try reinstalling your video drivers if you have not done so already. You can do this by booting into Safe Mode. To get into Safe Mode, tap the F8 key repeatedly as soon as you see the Dell screen when you turn on the laptop. you will see "Windows Advanced Boot Options". Choose "Safe Mode", then press Enter twice. Once in Windows, click the "Administrator" user name, then go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. Click "Nvidia Display Drivers", then click Uninstall. After the uninstall is complete, click Yes to have laptop restart.

Download the latest Nvidia driver for your computer by going to this link: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=u s&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R105341&Syste mID=LAT_PNT_PNT_D800&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=5007&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=3&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=6&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=135945

Do you remember any changes that happened around 6 weeks ago before your computer started doing this?