Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.
46034742

My sound icon has disappeared and my computer has no sound.

My sound icon has disappeared and my computer has no sound. How do I get the sound back?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for choosing justanswers.com I will be glad to assist you today. Ok have you tried uninstalled the device and rebooting to see if it picks up again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This has nothing to do with an installed device. This is the sound that is just in the computer. I have never had an outside device installed. I can't get any sound at all, not for you tube, games, etc.
Ok I not meaning an external sound device I am talking about your sound card. Have you attempted to uninstall and reinstall it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have no idea what a sound card is. The computer came with sound and no it's gone
Ok click on start then control panel and double click on on system let me know when you are there
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok
Ok at the top you should have a hardware tab click on that and then click on device manager.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok it says no audio device
OK that is one problem. Does it have a yello exclamation mark or yellow triangle there where you are seeing this message?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can't find one. I found one the other day when I was digging around and I can't find it now. I've never been in these areas before so I'm completely unfamiliar. The one I found before seemed to refer to an outside device which I have never used. I'm not sure I'm in the right place now. I'm not sure it's the device manager. I will look further.
Ok close all of that out and open control panel again. check to see if there is anything that says classic view on the left of that window
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
got it
Ok click on classic view and icons should appear
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I see them
Ok click on the icon that says system and at the top of the window that pops up click on the hardware tab. Then you should see device manager and should be able to click on that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Got it. That's where I found the yellow circle with the ! in it. The IDT High Definition Audio CODEC is marked.
Ok that's what I was looking for now then can you tell me the make and model of the computer. The problem is your sound driver has somehow became uninstalled but can easily be fixed I need this information so we can download the driver so that you can have sound again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is a Dell Dimension E510
Ok on the back of it does it have a service tag number on it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The service tag is 4SJ1291
Ok I am sending you a link to click on. I need you to click on the 3rd button on this site that says download. accross from it, it will say sigmatel Driver. When you click on that download button it will download the program you need. Let me know when download is complete.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The download is done.

Ok do you know where the program was downloaded to? If you do run it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I do.
Ok go ahead and run what you downloaded and it should start installing.
How are we doing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other
I got the answer yesterday and everything is working but I couldn't get back to you to say it was fixed. Thank you for you patience.
That's great. the problem was the sounds drivers some how became uninstalled don't know how it happened but it did. Let us know if there is anything else we can do for you and you have a great day.
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience: 2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.