Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.
33925084

My mouse does not move the arrow on my screen. The arrow is

Customer Question

My mouse does not move the arrow on my screen. The arrow is stuck in the center of the blue screen, Can you help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Frederick S. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be happy to assist you.

Do you have a laptop or a desktop PC?
Does the rest of your computer finish loading?
If you press [CAPS] lock on your keyboard does the light turn on indicating the keyboard is functional?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am on a laptop now but it is the desk computer that is stuck. W It shows my name and asks for my password, then after I type in my password, I have to press enter toopen the computer.The keyboard light does announce that caps is on or off when I press it.
OK - can you please disconnect the mouse from one USB port and plug it into another USB port in the back? Then give it about 30-60 seconds to install drivers. If that doesn't work, after you've changed the port, turn the computer off and back on.

Is the mouse an optical mouse or a mouse with a little ball? Is is wired or wireless?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My mouse has a little ball and it is connected to the computer. I did what you asked and nothing.
Has this mouse worked before? For how long?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes it has worked for about a year. I tried a new mouse and still no results. I was trying to download a Kaspersky security when this happened.
Please restart your computer and repeatedly press [F8] until you get to a Boot Options screen that allows you to select "Safe Mode with Networking"... Are you able to move the mouse in that mode?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nothing happens when I repeatedly press the F8 button after I turned the computer off and the back on...still nothing Except theWindows xp and my name asking dor my password.
OK - please shut the computer off, wait 5 seconds, then power it back on and immediately start pressing the [F8] over and over until you get that menu - thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok...I was able to get to the safe Mode with Networking...Tke mouse will not move to the selection, but I can reach it by pressing the up arrpw button.
Yes, please use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode with Networking, then once the login window appears, let me know if the mouse works.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, the mouse still does not work My sign in page has my name and Administer name.
OK - please log in, and after you log in, you will be asked if you would like to perform a System Restore. Please confirm that "Yes" you want to use System Restore by pressing [TAB] until the faint box appears around the "Yes" and press [ENTER]. Then press the [TAB] key in the next window to select the right date and press the [SPACE] key if you cannot select a date with the arrows on your keyboard, then press [TAB] a few times until you get to the "Next" option and press [ENTER]. This should allow your system to be restored to a previous day and you should be able to complete this process just fine without use of a mouse. Let me know if this works for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I log in? I can't get to the box with my name?
You can press the [TAB] and [ENTER] keys to get to it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I got to the date and it was correct, then I pressed Enter and a black screen with icons came up, i pressed Enter again and a white screen with my enternet,email,notepad ect came up. The mouse still does nothing. What should I do next?
Did the restore finish? If you cannot see the restore window, please hold [ALT] and press [TAB] until you're able to see the restore window once again to finish the restore.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't see arestoe window... .The black screen says Safe Mode in all 4 corners
So the System Restore completed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't know if it restored? How do I know...sorry to be so stupid!
It's okay. It should take a while to do the restore. You would see a progress bar on the screen. Since you didn't see this, and since the computer did not automatically restart, please go ahead and shut the computer down then press [F8] again, select Safe Mode again, then log in and press "Yes" once more to start System Restore.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok..Now I see my screen with my stuff on it but the mouse won't move.Should I just wait some more?
In Safe Mode you see stuff? Did System Restore load yet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What I see is the black screen....My Computer,My Documents,Recycle Bin, and the rest. At the top of the page it says Safe Mode. I don't know how to tell if the System Restored or not . I dom't know what to look for.
When you first log in in Safe Mode it should ask you if you want to do a system restore. You will need to select yes to that screen first. Otherwise you can go to Start menu by pressing Windows key on keyboard (or press Ctrl+Esc at same time), then use arrow to select All Programs, accessories, system tools, then select system restore by pressing Enter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is restoring my settings now...how long does this take/
It should take less than 5-15 minutes. Let me know if that helps - thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The system restored,but the mouse still doesn't move the pointer.I am about to throw this thing out the back door.
Is it a USB mouse? Please try to connect it to a port on the front of your computer and see if it works there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I plugged the mouse into the front , the red mouse light turned on, but the pointer still does not move.What if I restored things to a date in August prior to this problem? Can that be done?
Can you try the same with the alternate mouse?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I 'll try...wait a few min.
Ok let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nothing !!!!!!!!!
OK - I'm sorry to hear that you are still having issues with your mouse. Did you do a system restore far back enough before you installed Kaspersky? It looks like you are not the only one with this issue...

See if you can select a system restore point from a day or more before you installed Kapersky... Let me know if that works.

Edited by Frederick Szczepanski on 9/5/2010 at 3:44 AM EST