Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Hi, My Samsung Xtend stopped due to a power failure. Now my

My Samsung Xtend stopped due to a power failure. Now my pc won't recognize the disk. I have tried most ususal things. I can't reach it. What should I do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer

Which version of windows are you running?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi!

I run Windows 7 on a Toshiba Satellite

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

thanks,

Please go to the below link

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=964205da-1ebf-465e-aa67-1af46f766ed9&displaylang=en

Download and run the file

Restart your computer and test if it is detected please

If you still have problems, please let me know

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi again,

I have followed your instructions and it is still not detected. When I listen to the disk drive I hear a soft clicking noise, like a subdued clock. Is that a hardware problem?

Yours

/Olle

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

It can be Olle but I want to rule other potential factors out first please

Can you do the following

1) Close all open programs
2) Click on Start, run and type REGEDIT and press Enter
3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
* SYSTEM
* CurrentControlSet
* Control
* Class
* {4D36E965-E325-11CE-
BFC1-08002BE10318}

4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

* UpperFilters
* LowerFilters
* UpperFilters.bak
* LowerFilters.bak

5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
7) Reboot your computer

Then test and please let me know if you still have the problem

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi again,

I did not find any of the keys in the register. So there was nothing to change. Do you have more suggestions?

(I will be busy a couple of hours now at the local university, so I will not be able to respond to you as promptly. as I will be using another computer then.)

See this screen dump:

graphic

Yours

/Olle

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hi Olle,

Yes that can be the case.

The last thing to try is the following

Click start, right click computer and select manage

Go to Device Manager, DV/CD Rom and look for the device

Right click on it and select uninstall

Restart the computer and test. If its still not working then I am sorry but you will need to have the drive replaced as it is faulty.

If you need any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry