Tom K
Tom K, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  BS in IT from University of Massachusetts Lowell, 10+ years working on computer related problems
38490348

Windows installer keeps coming up trying to install Smart Web

Windows installer keeps coming up trying to install Smart Web printing and not matter what I do I cannot get it to stop. I do not want Smart Web printing. How do I get this to stop?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Tom K :

Hi I am here to help.

Tom K :

Let me know when youre ready.

Tom K :

Ready?

Customer :

I am ready to go.yes

Tom K :

Ok what version of Windows are you using on the computer having trouble?

Customer :

windows xp

Tom K :

Ok can you click on Start, then click on Run, then type in msconfig in the Run box and hit Enter.

Customer :

should I be doing this now as we converse?

Tom K :

Yes.

Tom K :

Sorry for not pointing that out.

Tom K :

Let me know once you've done that.

Tom K :

A window should open on your screen.

Customer :

Ok the system config box has come up

Tom K :

Ok click on the Startup tab.

Tom K :

And once under the Startup tab under the Startup Item column, uncheck any listing that mentions HP, Smart Web printing, or Windows Installer.

Customer :

Ok now a box came up with the option to restart the computer or exit without restarting

Tom K :

Ok you shouldn't have closed it yet.

Tom K :

Choose not to restart and get back into the msconfig window.,

Tom K :

Double check all the HP, Smart Web printing, and Windows Installer items are unchecked from the Startup Tab.

Tom K :

Then click on the Services tab, check the box for Hide All Microsoft Services, and once again uncheck any item that mentions HP, Smart web printing, or Windows Installer.

Customer :

I tried again and it came up with the same window. on the original sys config window it has options with the "normal startup" box checked. At the bottom is the ok command which i hit. Am I doing this correctly?

Tom K :

No thats not it, open up msconfig again and click on this tab I have circled in the picture:

Full Size Image

Tom K :

Now under the Startup tab, look under the Startup Items column, and uncheck every listing that mentions HP, Smart Web, or Windows Installer.

Customer :

I have done this - the only applicable line was HP WuSchd2

Tom K :

Ok, now click on the Services tab, check the box for Hide all Microsoft Services, and uncheck any HP, Smart Web, or Windows Installer listings.

Tom K :

And once you are done, click Apply, then click OK to exit and click on do not restart.

Customer :

Ok - I unchecked 2 boxes - hpqcxs08 and Windows Installer - I did not check the box HTTP SSL

Tom K :

HTTP SSL should be left alone.

Tom K :

Ok now click on Start, then Control Panel, then click on Add or Remove Programs.

Customer :

I did make one mistake - I did not check the box "Hide all Microsoft Services" Should I go back and redo?

Customer :

Sorry Tom did you see my last reply?

Tom K :

No thats fine.

Tom K :

Customer :

I still am in the window where I checked the boxes. Should I hit the "apply" button at the bottom?

Tom K :

Hit Apply, then Ok, then click to not restart.

Customer :

Ok - I am now in the "add or remove programs" section of the control panel

Tom K :

Ok in the Add or Remove window, look in the list for HP Smart Web printing.

Tom K :

Do you see it?

Customer :

Actually I do not see it. I deleted that program using the "add or remove" section of the control panel in my attempt to get rid of smart web printing. Now when windows installer comes up it keeps asking for me to put in a disk so that it can install smart web printing.

Tom K :

Ok, from the options that have been unchecked from MSconfig, the windows installer pop up should no longer bother you.

Customer :

That would be wonderful. How do I check to make sure that it is truly gone?

Tom K :

Is it still popping up at this moment?

Customer :

NO

Tom K :

Does it usually continually pop up while you are on the computer?

Customer :

It comes up at different times usually when I enter a new program such as windows explorer or outlook express. I hit cancel about five times and then it leaves me alone for a while

Tom K :

Ok, typically you'll need to restart to see if the changes from MSconfig have stopped it. But since that would mean this chat session would close, try opening Outlook Express or Windows Explorer and see if it pops up.

Tom K :

If it seems to be working OK now and all looks good, you can click on Accept Answer to close this question.

Customer :

It looks as if it is gone. If I hit accept and then restart the computer only to find that it is not gone, should I recontact you in that case and if so, how?

Tom K :

Or add this page to your favorites.

Tom K :

Just leave a message and I will get back to you.

Tom K :

You can click on Accept Answer now to close this question.

Customer :

THanks

Tom K, Information Systems Manager
Experience: BS in IT from University of Massachusetts Lowell, 10+ years working on computer related problems