lifesaver, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Engineering degree in Computer science,Microsoft Certified Professional.JA computer expert.
16528259

How do I transfer my Windows Media Player Playlists to iTunes

Customer Question

How do I transfer my Windows Media Player Playlists to iTunes play lists?
Category: Computer
Expert:  lifesaver replied 4 years ago.

Hi and Welcome to Justanswer

FOllow these steps:

• Open the iTunes program. Go to "File" and click "Add Folder to Library."

• Select your "My Music" folder.This is usually where Windows Media Player stores your audio library. If you have songs stored in another location on your computer that you wish to transfer to iTunes, simply locate and select the folder that contains your song files.
  • If your song files are in WMA (Windows Media Audio) format, iTunes will prompt you if you wish to convert the format. Click "Convert" to begin the process. This process may take awhile, especially if you have a large audio library.
  • Once conversion finishes, your song files will be in your music library in iTunes.
  •  

Hope this helps.

Edited by lifesaver on 8/23/2010 at 1:49 PM EST
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My apology for being so long in responding. I tried to print the page with my case number XXXXX it but found my printer wasn't working. In tryiing to resolve that I lost the page and have also spent the last 6 hours with Netgear to solve the printer problem.

My follow up question to you is that the playlists that I want to copy over are not identified as playlists in the MYMusic folder. I have numerous playlists in windows that I want to copy to iTunes, but how do I get them to a file for selecting by iTunes?

Expert:  lifesaver replied 4 years ago.

Save the songs in windows media player in a playlist, but change the playlist type to M3U.To do this you can use the "Save Playlist As" option from the list pane when you're editing the playlist. Then change the "Save as type:" field from WPL (the default) to M3U. then open the folder that you saved the playlist in and drag it into iTunes.

See if it helps.

Note:some of the WMA files may not transfer so you might have to convert them to mp3 with a program like switch .

Clicm free version available at http://www.nch.com.au/switch/

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    There is no Save To option in my Windows Playlist screen.
    Expert:  lifesaver replied 4 years ago.

Strange.Please recheck

1.

Click Library.

2.

In the Contents pane (the left pane), expand the My Playlists category, and then click a playlist.

3.

On the File menu, click Save Now Playing List As (Save Playlist As in Windows Media Player 9 Series), click Save as type, and then click M3U Playlist(*.m3u).

4.

In the File name box, type a file name for the M3U playlist, and then click Save.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmediaplayer/getstarted/makeplaylist.mspx

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I saved as type, then clicked M3u playlist. In the file name box a typed the name of the playlist and then clicked save.

When I went to my documents to find the My Playlist I had saved it to, it was not in there, and I can't find it. I can find My Playlist under My Documents with a few other playlists in it, but the one I just saved was not there.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I went back through the process but instead of saving to the "My Playlist" folder I found another folder in MY DOCUMENTS titled just "Playlist". I found my copied playlist in that folder along with some others that had been saved there.

So I went back to the iTunes File menu and Clicked Add Folder To Library. Then went to the "Playlist" Folder. It would not let me select just the last playlist I copied there. SoI had to copy all the playlists in that folder to the iTunes library.

It processed for quite a while then brought up an iTunes screen with what looks like "All" of my Windows Media file songs, but I didn't find the playlist I wanted or the others that were in the Playlist folder with it.

I had hoped it would save them in the iTunes playlist window. I really don't want to rebuild all of my WMP playlists in iTunes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    I have received no more replies from anyone? Have you dropped my case?
    Expert:  lifesaver replied 4 years ago.

WMp saves,indexes and organises its playlist in a different manner than itunes.

I don't think there is any other means by which you can import the playlist and leep it in the same manner in itunes,,
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.

But, are you absolutely sure about that? If you are I will consider the case closed and pay the fee, though considering how I asked the first question it seems you could have provided this answer immediately.

This is very important to me in using iTunes instead of WMp, and a huge dissapointment if it can't be done.

Expert:  lifesaver replied 4 years ago.

Sorry to say this the answer is no.

The playlists can be imported but not kept in the same fomat.Microsoft and Apple certainly don;t go together.
    lifesaver, Computer Software Engineer
    Experience: Engineering degree in Computer science,Microsoft Certified Professional.JA computer expert.
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What format are you referring to? iTunes has playlist just like WMP. I realize the recording format is different, but that's convertible.

Expert:  lifesaver replied 4 years ago.
    THe format in which WMp indexes its file.

The songs will be transferred to your itunes playlist from WMP playlist after following the procedure i gave but not the exact playlist pattern.
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    O.K. I'll accept that as your final answer. Again it seems like that should have been your first answer based on the way I asked the question. But, I would have felt obligated to pay if that had been the case, so I will ACCEPT the answer.
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    You know what? I tend to remember that a member of the BestBuy Geek Squad did copy a playlist from WMP to an iTunes playlist several months ago when I had him out her to set up my wireless network. I'm going to verify that with the Geek Squad and if I find that to be true I will expect my $18 to be refunded from Just Answer.