Santonu
Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Diploma in Hardware

hp pavillion dv7 1264nr wont stay on

hp pavillion dv7 1264nr won't stay on?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Santonu replied 3 years ago.

What happens when you turn it on. Does it turn off after a few seconds ?

If so, how long is it able to stay on before turning off

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
varies - 30 minutes to a second
Expert:  Santonu replied 3 years ago.
And when it able to stay on, does it starts windows Or do you get any error message ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
starts windows - no error message
Expert:  Santonu replied 3 years ago.
Whenever you see the problem next, please try the following:

1 Disconnect battery and adapter
2 Wait for 2 minutes.
3 Press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds and then release power button.
4 Reconnect battery and adapter and turn it on.

The above procedure will reset the hardware and should correct any minor problems which might prevent the system from starting up.

If the problem remains, the other possible reasons can be overheating.

You can use a can of compressed air to clean the cooling vents after turning off the system and taking out battery and adapter.

You need to make sure that the processor heatsink/ fan assembly is clean of any dust.

Let me know if you already tried it

Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Diploma in Hardware
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Computer still on - but will not charge battery properly- I noticed that when I plug it in - it will charge for 3 seconds then stop charging - keep unplugging and then plugging it in and it has consisently charged 3 seconds then stopped. I have the bAttery level up to 30% now. I must quit messing with it now- can we talk tomorrow ?
Expert:  Santonu replied 3 years ago.
Sure, post a reply when you are online and I will get back to you as early as possible.

Also take a note of how long the system is able to stay on and let me know.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have more info for u.
Expert:  Santonu replied 3 years ago.
Please let me know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No battery plugged in runs 30 second. With charged battery runs fine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are u there
Expert:  Santonu replied 3 years ago.
Yes I am here.

How long it is taking to fully charge the battery ?

Also, what happens when you connect both (that is fully charged battery and adapter). Does it stay on for sometime ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When battery has charge it runs fine whether ugged in or not. - the time varies to charge battery depends if I am running computer
Expert:  Santonu replied 3 years ago.
I think the next step will be to test the adapter and match it with its specs.
You can use a multimeter to test the adapter and see if the voltage output is within the specified range. You should see the output ratings on the adapter itself.

If the system turns off after 30 seconds when trying to start without battery (with only adapter connected) then it can be due to adapter.

I initially thought about over heating. But it seems that overheating is not the actual cause. If it was due to overheating, the system should always turn off after certain period regardless of whether battery is connected or not.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am using adaptor that was purchased w computer... Are adapters suppose to be very very warm?
Expert:  Santonu replied 3 years ago.
It can get a little warm(not too much) after an hour or so.

I think you should test the adapter. The system should not turn off while using adapter only. It only indicates that the system is not getting enough power from the adapter to stay on.

When you have a fully charged battery and you connect the adapter, the system draws power from the battery when it is unable to to get enough power from the adapter. That is why it is not turning off while battery is connected (with or without adapter)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where do I get a multimeter
Expert:  Santonu replied 3 years ago.
You can get it on a local electronics shop or buy it online such as the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Portable-Digital-Multimeter-/120477346803?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

And the following guide will describe the procedure

http://www.ehow.com/how_5058768_test-laptop-power-supply.html

Edited by Santonu on 8/20/2010 at 4:01 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank I will do that today and get back to u. If that is the problem - I will gladly accept answer .. Thank you.
Expert:  Santonu replied 3 years ago.
No problem, take your time and let me know results.

We need to eliminate possible causes one by one.

Post a reply when you are online and I will get back to you as early as possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Went to electric shop - an electrician tested output 19 as noted on adaptor.. He said is good - he could only check output.
Expert:  Santonu replied 3 years ago.
Try to reset the hardware again:

1 Turn off the system, disconnect battery and adapter
2 Wait for 15 minutes.
4 Reconnect adapter and turn it on

Let me know the exact duration the system is able to stay on

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
10 mintues and still on. - I will use computer for a 2 days and see if u have solved the "off" issue. Will get back with u tomorrow. Thank you, Linda Will Accept Answer iff all is fine tomorrow.
Expert:  Santonu replied 3 years ago.
No hurry, I want you to make sure that the system is working properly before you click Accept.

Thanks