automatic update cannot install : sec. update for .net framework 2.0 sp2 and 3.5 spi on windows server 2003 and windows xp x86 (kb983583) error code 0x645
Computer OS: Windows XP
Chat Conversation Started
Hello Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer
I will assist you with this issue
First lets stop the Automatic Update service by going to Start - Run - type in services.msc and hit enter - scroll down the list till you see the Automatic Update Service - Right click on this and choose stop, Now lets remove the content of the folder (go to start run and copy and paste the following in the run command and hit enter) %systemroot%\softwaredistribution
and clear out the items in this folder
Now go back to the services window and start theAutomatic Update service again.
Click start, run and type in wuauclt /detectnow to tell the update agent to look for new updates and see if the updates run successfully now.
Windows cannot detect wuauclt/detectnow
there is a space after the wuauclt
O.K. Will try again
shall I try installing update?
I tried installing update and again it failed. What now?
Shall I repeat the process?
Are you receiving the same error message?
It says that the update could not be installed and no error code was given.
What else can we try?
This problem can be caused by a corrupted state of the .NET Framework that currently exists on your computer. . Download the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool from the following link:
2. Using the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool, uninstall the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5.
3. Restart the computer. 4. Download the following components: .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (this will also install .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2)
.NET Framework 1.1
.NET Framework 1.1 SP1
5. Install the downloaded updates in the following order (the order is very important):
6. Restart the computer 7. Visit Windows Update, and then select CUSTOM update.
8. Under Optional Software Update, check whether other versions of the .NET Framework are being offered. 3. Restart the computer. 4. Download the following components: .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (this will also install .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2)
8. Under Optional Software Update, check whether other versions of the .NET Framework are being offered. IF YES: Install the update by using Custom Update, 9. After the installation is finished, restart your computer, and then try to install the updates again.
Rita, I downloaded .net framework cleanup tool & uninstalled .net framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 restarted & downloaded .net framework 3.5sp1, 1.1, 1.1sp1 to temporary folders (was that O.K.?) & installed restarted & in microsoft update custom downloaded & installed 7 high priority updates which included the security update that would not install earlier. All installed sucessfully. Also , under optional updates, I installed 1 update for .net framework 4 client profile for windows XP , xp86(KB982670) In the earlier procedure I had deleted 8 folders from the systemroot software distribution into the recycle bin. Should I dump these out of the recycle bin?
Yes empty out the recycle bin, great glad to hear they are installing successfully now. So there was some corruption in your .net framework files. and that was what was causing the issue
Please let me know if i can be of any furthur assistance
Rita, Thank you so much for your help.
Network Administrator for large company, Microsoft certified system builder