Rita
Rita, Network Administrator
Experience:  Network Administrator for large company, Microsoft certified system builder

When syncronising my Blackberry with Outlook I get the following

When syncronising my Blackberry with Outlook I get the following message when Intellisync reads to Calander in Outlook:
---------------------------
Intellisync
---------------------------
Error encountered. Error code - 0x80040ffe.
Check documentation.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------
I have run the scanpst.exe program and have "repaired" my Outlook.
I use the latest version (6.0) of Blackberry Desktop software and have alos removed and re-installed this software, but my problem persists.

Can you please assist?

Thanks

Neels (XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX)
Category: Computer
Expert:  Rita replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Rita :

Hello

Rita :

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer

Rita :

Lets try the following and see if this resolves the synch issues you are experiencing

Rita :

close Desktop Manager

go to C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry

delete the intellisync folder

go back to Desktop Manager, reconfigure syncronization( just for calendar for starters)

Now lets test it and see if it synchronizes successfully

Customer:

Rita :

I posted some troubleshooting steps to try above, once those are completed please let me know if it synchronizes successfully

Customer:

Hi, the only folder I can find is C:/Document and Settings/All users/Appdate/Research in Motion/Blackberry with a file called ip_modem_configuration.xml. Is this the file I should delete?

Rita :

No

Rita :

Under C:/Documents and Settings/ (are there any other user names listed here)?

Customer:

Hi, I found the corrct folder (I think) under C:/Document and Settings/Neels/Appdate/Research in Motion/Blackberry. It has some sub-folders called 2269AF32, 2269AF32.CFG, Device and Device.CFG. Do I delete this Intellisync folder?

Rita :

Yes this is the Intellisynch folder you need to delete, once this is completed you will reopen Desktop Manager and will need to reset up the synchronization and see if it sychs successfully

Customer:

Ok - will try and come back to you.

Rita :

Ok i will be here

Customer:

Hi, sorry, the problem is still there. The Contacts syncronise fine, it is only the Calender that seems to be an issue.

Rita :

hmmm sounds like your outlook calender may be damaged

Rita :

i know you mentioned you have already run the scanpst.exe tool

Rita :

what version of outlook are you running

Rita :

Also do you know how large your pst file is? Is it over the 2GB recommended size

Customer:

I am running Outlook 2007 and I try to keep my .pst file as small as possible. It is currently 562223kb

Rita :

ok

Rita :

basically if you have already run a repair and it is still failing to synch the next steps would be to create a new .PST file but first export all your data (calendar, inbox, notes, etc) then create a new .pst data file and then import all your data back into the new .pst file

Customer:

ok will be back once I have done this

Rita :

I can post a link that will explain step by step on how to perform these steps from microsoft

Rita :

let me know if this works successfully or if you have any furthur questions

Customer:

Rita, I have created a new .pst file and imported the data from the "old" file - problem still persists!

Rita :

Ok that basically eliminates that the issue was within a corrupted pst file so the issue is there is a file within the calendar itself that is corrupt and this is why it is failing

Rita :

does it start to synch the calendar and fail immediatly

Rita :

Lets try the following and see if we can narrow down what calendar entry is corrupt

Rita :

How to find and delete a corrupted Calendar event

Fact:

1) View the user's calendar folder in Outlook by selecting View | "Day/Week/Month" (standard view). Outlook finds this event and pops up the following dialogue box indicating the "subject" of the corrupted event.

"Cannot locate the recurrence information for "subject " "

2) Change the view of the calendar folder by selecting View | "by Category" and find the calendar event that matches the subject indicated.

3) Delete this calendar event. A popup dialogue box will appear with an error indicating the item may have not been deleted correctly. Verify the appointment was removed.

4) Verify there are not any more corrupt events. View standard view and then view by category again to see if it complains of corrupted events. You need to switch the views back and forth to view the error again if it exists.

Rita :

Another potential issue is if you have reminders setup within your calendar that could be causing the synch to fail i will post the steps below

Rita :

• Close the Microsoft Outlook window and make sure the application is no longer running.

• 2

Open the Start menu and click on "Run."

• 3

Enter "outlook.exe /cleanreminders" into the "Open" text field.

• Read more: How to Clean Corrupt Microsoft Outlook Calendar Entries | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5885921_clean-microsoft-outlook-calendar-entries.html#ixzz0wqqPh7vE
    Rita :

Try both of these steps and then try to synch again and see if it is successful

Customer:

Rita, Sorry, got tied up with something else. Will work through your suggestions and come back to you.

Customer:

Rita, I could not find any corrupted events, but is seems that the "cleanreminders" fixed the probelm as the sync now seems to run smoothly. Thanks!! I have another issue with my birthday events that are entered as an "all day" event with yearly recurrence. These events were deleted off my Outlook and are now only available on my Blackberry and do not sync back to Outlook, even if I change a minor detail in the event on the Blackberry.

Customer:

Rita,

Customer:

Rita, I am happy with the assistance as I got the problem fixed. Could you help me with the other issue on birthday events that got cancelled in Outlook but still appears on the Blackberry?

Rita :

Rita :

Glad to hear the first issue is resolved successfully

Rita :

I have to step away for just a few minutes real quick and will be right back

Rita :

and can furthur assist you at that time

Rita :

Ok im back thank you

Rita :

In regards XXXXX XXXXX birthday events not synchronizing with outlook in the DM when you go to setup the synchronization are you doing a two way synch so everything on the blackberry is copied to your outlook?

Rita :

Do you receive any error messages when these items attempt to synch

Customer:

Hi, yes I did a 2 way sync and did not receive any error messages. Real strange, as all the birthday event "dissapeared" fro Outlook but shows up on the Blackberry!

Rita :

hmmm

Rita :

on your outlook i know we had changed the view on a previous step during troublshooting so lets try the following

Rita :

In Outlook switch the
    VIEW selection from "Day/Week/Month" to "Day/Week/Month View with
    AutoPreview" and check and see if the birthday events show now

Rita :

One other thought do you have AutoArchive setup within outlook? It is possible it has archived these events

Customer:

Some of these event actually show with this view but not all - seems like some were deleted off Outlook but not all. I do have AutoArchive set up within Outlook

Rita :

Try and browse and see if the missing items are in the archive location and if so you can bring them back into outlook

Rita :

when did these items disappear, was it after troubleshooting the previous issue?

Customer:

No - thses disappeared some time ago already. They are not in the Archive Calender either.

Rita :

ok, thats strange so some items are there and are synching correctly but there are a few that are missing out of the calendar

Rita :

Ok there are a couple of things i can think off that could be causing this but this one has me somewhat stumped honestly

Customer:

Jip - been like that for some time. I even tried to make small amendments to those that are not there to "force" Outlook to pick up "new events" and sync these back in, but to no avail!

Rita :
    On your Blackberry,
    go to Options
    Advanced Options,
    Default Services,
    Under Calendar (CICAL) does it list the correct account (should have your email address listed here)

Customer:

Hi, Jip - lists the correct account. I am going to log-off now and go home!! If you can come up with a suggestion it will be great - will look at whatever you suggests tomorrow. Thanks for the help. I will "accept" the assistance and might therefore lose this link. Howver, we can set up a new "chat" in the morning? You can sms me at XXXXXXXXXX Neels

Rita, Network Administrator
    Experience: Network Administrator for large company, Microsoft certified system builder