Tom K
Tom K, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  BS in IT from University of Massachusetts Lowell, 10+ years working on computer related problems
38490348

I have a Lexmark Prestige pro905. How do I scan multiple documents

I have a Lexmark Prestige pro905. How do I scan multiple documents into 1 pdf file. Currently it creates a pdf file for each page.
Chat Conversation Started
Tom K :

Hi I am hereto help.

Tom K :

Let me know when youre ready.

Customer:

I'm ready!

Tom K :

Ok hang on for a minute while I look up some info on this problem.

Customer:

no problem

Tom K :

Ok in order to scan multiple documents into 1 PDF file, you have to use the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) which is the tray you can load paper in on the top of the printer.

Customer:

that's what I tried, didn't work.

Customer:

I can try it again while we're on line?

Tom K :

Ok, what happened that it did not work?

Customer:

It scanned each page to a pdf.

Tom K :

Ok, all you'll need to do is place each document you are scanning in (one on top of the other) into the ADF.

Tom K :

Then on the computer, click on Start (lower left corner), then All Programs, then select the printer program folder from the list, then select Printer Home, choose the Lexmark Prestige Pro905 as the printer, then click PDF, and the scanning should start.

Tom K :

All the documents that are going to be scanned have to be placed in the ADF at the same time.

Customer:

I'm scanning at the moment thru the adf, I chose to scan to pdf

Tom K :

Ok, good, is the ADF pulling each document through?

Customer:

yes

Tom K :

Ok, when it is complete, take a look at the PDF, all the pages that were scanned in should be there.

Customer:

It actualy worked. I have no idea why, Do you mind if I try another scan?

Tom K :

Absolutely, if you feel you need to double check.

Customer:

It worked, I've tried it many time direct from the printer, this time I used the Lexmark Printer icon on the desktop.

Tom K :

Thats the key, you have to use the menu from the computer.

Tom K :

Well if its working and you have no further questions, you can click on Accept Answer to close this question.

Customer:

I'm trying a scan directly from the printer to see if I get the same results.

Tom K :

Scanning directly from the printer may not be able to add multiple pages in the PDF.

Tom K :

This is typically a limitation in many printers, which is why the printer program on the computer has to be used.

Customer:

I tried it direct from the screen on the printer and it scanned all individual files, I'm going to try the same procedured using the desk top icon.

Tom K :

The desktop icon should work, as long as the documents are all loaded in the ADF.

Tom K :

As I mentioned above, the only way to scan multiple pages into one PDF is by using the printer program on the computer.

Customer:

okay that worked.

Customer:

can i get assistance with the scan to email?

Tom K :

Sure, what did you need help with?

Customer:

the setup, I tried with a different tech, outsourced I think because of the accent, but was unable to get it completed.

Tom K :

Ok well to scan to email, these are the instructions.

Customer:

ok

Tom K :

Place the documents you want to scan either on the scanner glass (for one item) or the ADF for multiple items.
Open up the printer program on the computer, then choose your printer from the list. Click on Email, and then select Photo or PDF, do not select document, this is actually an advanced feature only to be used with an OCR program.
The scan should start, and once finished an email message should be created with the scanned document attached.

Tom K :

The email should open in whatever email program is installed on your computer, like Outlook, Outlook Express, or Thunderbird/

Customer:

am I doing this from the desktop icon or directly from the printer

Tom K :

From the desktop icon.

Tom K :

Be mindful if you sign into your email online with a service like Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. and did not use the address with Outlook, or Outlook Express, you will not be able to use the scan to email function.

Customer:

I'm checking my outlook for settings, I'm with fidnet which uses gmail for the pop and smtp servers.

Tom K :

Ok, did scan to email create a new email on your computer with the scanned item attached?

Customer:

I'm inputting the server setting into the program

Customer:

It just pulled up my outlook! I think it's working!

Tom K :

Ok excellent!

Customer:

can I click on accept anwer now!

Tom K :

Yes you can!

Tom K :

Glad we got it working!

Customer:

great job, much better than the outsource!

Tom K :

No problem, very happy this is working for you.