Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.

How do I get rid of the Initializing Places Bar that comes

How do I get rid of the "Initializing Places" Bar that comes up when I save a file?
Hi. Thank you for submitting your question to JustAnswer. I will be the expert assisting you today. Can you please tell me if this is happening with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel? Let me know - thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not use Excel very often, so I had to find a file to see. It does it in both Word and Excel.
OK - thank you for that information. Please open up Word and perform the following steps:
  1. Click on the Office Symbol or File Menu and choose Open.
  2. Right-Click on the Live Desktop icon in the bar that runs down the side of the dialog box (That’s the My Places Bar, by the way.) and choose Delete.
  3. If you don’t see it, expand the box to make it bigger. The default size, of course, isn’t big enough for the extra entry.
  4. If you see another entry, that might be the culprit. Anything over a network will slow things down.
Once you remove that, it shouldn't be as laggy. Let me know if this helps by clicking Accept.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
did not work / there was no delete option
Did you see the icon there on the left side when you had the Open... window up? You need to right-click on the Places icon and it should Remove or Delete.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There was a "Remove" and I used it. Will that take care of the issue?
Yes, that should be it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They are wanting to charge me an additonal $18 for the first answer. I erronously hit Accept Answer the first time instead of Reply to Expert. How do I get out of the loop? I also signed up for the $18 per month process and I do have another question. How do I access that?
Hi - since you only clicked Accept once, you will only be charged $18 once (for the question + answer). To ask another question, check your e-mail -- there will be a link that says "Ask another question" or something to that effect, and you can ask it. Or just go to and type in a new question.

Edited by Frederick Szczepanski on 8/7/2010 at 7:41 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a good evaluation the first time.