Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.
33925084

How can I find kindle books saved on my PC so I can transfer

How can I find kindle books saved on my PC so I can transfer them to another computer
Category: Computer
Expert:  Wanda G. replied 4 years ago.

Would like to help but need more information. Did you already do the search c: on your start menu? If you have let me know, so I can tell you another route

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What operating system are you using?
-What internet browser are you using?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried C:\Find *.azw also tried the name of the specific book eg Book.*
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am still waiting for an answer to my question. I have tried all standard search methods. What I need is the directory where books for Kindle for PC are stored. The extension is usually .azw .prc oe .azw1. I know the files are there because they show up in the Kindle for PC application while disconnected from the internet. A timely respnse would be appreciated. An alert on my cell phone would also be appreciated Phone # XXXXX
Expert:  Frederick S. replied 4 years ago.
You can download Kindle books you have purchased from Amazon to your computer with the following steps:

1. Visit the Manage Your Kindle page.
2. Scroll to the "Your orders" section and locate the item you wish to download.
3. Click on the "Deliver to" pull-down menu and select "Transfer via Computer."
4. Select the Kindle your wish to transfer the file to and click the "Download to computer" button.
5. Choose "Save file" when prompted by your Web browser.

This will then allow you to transfer those Kindle files to another computer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will try that but that is not the question I asked. I use Kindle for PC to load and read Kindle files on my computer. They are already stored on my computer but I cannot find them on my PC. Again, how do I find the files that have been downloaded via Kindle for Pc so I can move them to another computer???
OK - thanks for that. Check out this guide and see if it is what you were looking for: http://nyquil.org/archives/1235-Converting-Amazon-Kindle-For-PC-Books-Now-Possible.html

Let me know - thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is an old fix and no longer works. The new fix requires that you find the saved file that was downloaded from Kindle for PC (any version will work). That is why I need to find the directory that holds files downloaded for Kindle for Pc. That was and remains my original question.
OK - I will go ahead and open this up to other experts who can try to help if you don't feel like Accepting the amazon.com answer (which I totally understand). I thank you for your patience - please stand by and hopefully another expert joins soon.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mr. Szczepanski, your work around to save a usable file to a recognized directory works just fine. It is not the asnswer to my question but it is good enough. I would like to accept your solution (and pay the $18) but would ask you to give me a solution for removing the DMR from Kindle books (I have over 100 of them now) so I can give them to my daughter who just bought a nook much to my consternation. I have tried multiple solutions but to date none are working. The program I would really like to get going is EZskindle4PCv1_1_1 It is independent of Kindle4PC and supposedly works for azw and Topaz (azw1) files. When I run the program now,it opens the command acreen which it should but gives the message "Please Enter the name of the book to be converted. Don't forget the prc file extension. Watch out for zeros and O's Zeros are skinny and O's are fat". The problem with that error is it leaves the command screen with no other options. It takes its input from an input folder that has the files that you allowed me to download. None of these files have any spaces, zeros or O's. I have used bothe the skindle version 0.5 and 0.6 and both give me the same problem. I am running Windows 7 64 bit verion Home premium. At this point I will take any solution that will remove the DMR from prc and Topaze files. YOur help would be greatly appreciated. How do I make sure you get paid for the first question and I am of course willing to pay an additional $18 if you can answer this much more important issue. I am basically looking for a step by step instruction sheet. I am willing to erase all files and start over again.
Hi - I stumbled across this guide but they do mention that it cannot yet remove the protection from Topaz-encrypted eBooks. Maybe it will help you out, though... please skip the first 40 seconds of the video -- it's a complete waste of time:

http://kindle.shopper-euphoria.com/kindle-hacking-101-e-book-drm-removal/
Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience: Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I need to leave for about 2 hours. I will pick up again and try your suggestion. I owe you at least the first $18. If you do not have my email address I will send it you to make sure you get paid. Thanks and I will be back on line around 9:00pm EDT.
OK - I appreciate that. You can click "Accept" to any of the responses I've sent to give me credit for one answer (which will not cost anything additional on top of the deposit you've paid), and if the other one works, you can return and click "Accept" to that one as well (which will cost $18). Let me know how it turns out - thanks.

Edited by Frederick Szczepanski on 8/7/2010 at 10:35 PM EST