Sandeep Pamarati
Sandeep Pamarati, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Bachelors in Electronics and Proficient in troubleshooting Computer-related problems
383181

what is printer not activated error code 41.

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  RPI Solutions replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Robert Preston :

What's the brand and model of the printer?

Robert Preston :

Is the message on the computer or on the printer?

Customer:

Model is hp 7760. Message shows on screen when printing is attempted

Robert Preston :

Hi

Robert Preston :

Turn the printer off

Robert Preston :

Uninstall it and restart the computer

Once restarted, reinstall the printer

Power it on when prompted by the installer. If it does not prompt you, wait until it is done installing and then power the printer on.

Then you should be good to go

Thanks and please click the green ACCEPT button after reviewing my answer.

Thanks,
Rob
?

Customer:

Rob, It did not work . I still get the same message.

Robert Preston :

What program are you printing from? Do you get the message in every program?

Customer:

I get the same message from every program.

Customer:

I don`t have quickbooks. What is error code 41?

Robert Preston :

One second

Robert Preston :
Solution
Step one: Make sure the desired printer is set as the default printer

1. Click Start and then click Printers and Faxes to open the Printers folder.

2. If the desired printer icon is missing, please go to Step two.

3. Make sure the desired printer has a check mark next to it which indicates it is set as the default printer.

4. If the desired printer does not have a check mark next to it, right-click the printer icon and then click “Set as Default Printer ”.

5. Right-click the printer icon, and then click Print Test Page to print a Windows self-test page.

6. If the Windows test page prints successfully, close all windows and try printing from the application you were using before.

7. If the Windows test-page does not print, go to Step two.

Step two: Re-install the USB Composite Device from Device Manager

1. Click Start and then Run .

2. Type devmgmt.msc in the Run window and then press Enter to open the Device Manager Window.

3. Click the plus sign (+) next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

4. Right click USB Composite Device , click Uninstall , and then click OK .

5. Disconnect the USB cable from the computer and then reconnect it.

6. Follow the instructions in the Found New Hardware wizard to install the drivers.

7. Right-click the printer icon, and then click Print Test Page to print a Windows self-test page.

8. Close all windows and try printing from the application you were using before.

Step three: Reinstall the HP Software
If the above steps do not resolve the issue, please uninstall and reinstall the HP software.

Customer:

This will take a while. I have to stop for dinner.

Robert Preston :

Ok

Robert Preston :

I'll be around

Customer:

Rob, I have tried your solutions and the message is still there. Les.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Expert:  Sandeep Pamarati replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and Thanks for your query...

I am happy to help you...
Let me know the operating system..?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Sandeep, as you know I have worked with Robert Preston on my problem. We tried a number of things none of which worked. When I attempt to print I get a message that says printer not activated see error code 41.
Okay, Thanks for the info. Lets try performing a hard reset

A hard, or mechanical, reset is performed when the printer is in a condition where its normal printing process is interrupted. Examples include a paper jam, carriage stall, or mechanical noise. To perform a mechanical hard reset, follow the steps below.

1. Disconnect any USB cables attached to the printer and remove any memory cards from drive bay.
2. Restart the computer.
3. Remove any paper from the paper tray.
4. Unlock the ink cartridge locking clips.
5. Remove all printer ink cartridges.
6. Lock down the ink cartridge locking clips.
7. Close the main printer door.
8. Turn off the printer using the power button and wait for the printer to shut down before proceeding to step 9.
9. Unplug the power from the back of the printer.
10. Unplug the power adapter from the wall outlet.
11. Remove the rear access door.
12. Locate the clutch inside the printer.
NOTE: The clutch is located in the same place as pictured above in Figure 1, however, you must access it from the left, just above the paper output tray.
13. Press the clutch firmly towards the back of the printer, while rolling the wheels in the back of the printer upward two full rotations.
14. Release the clutch and roll the wheels up two more rotations.
15. Locate and then roll the internal rollers in an upward direction until a clicking sound is heard.
16. Reinstall and lock the rear access door.
17. Connect the power adapter to a wall outlet.
18. Reconnect the power cable to the printer.
19. Turn the printer on.
20. Re-insert the paper into the input tray.
21. Wait for the appropriate missing cartridge error to verify that the printer recognizes this error.
22. Re-insert one ink cartridge only, to minimize confusion in case one of the cartridges is defective, and print an internal test page.
23. If no errors are found, insert the other ink cartridge(s) and ensure that they are functioning by performing internal test pages or calibration pages. If an error occurs due to a defective cartridge, perform the appropriate steps for Resolving Ink Cartridge Rejections.
24. After returning to the main Windows screen, reconnect the USB cable to the computer then to the printer.
25.Test for printer functionality.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I followed your instructions, and I still get the same message. What is error code 41?                                          
Well... in that case the unit seems beyond regular support instructions.
You need it serviced.

Thanks for your time.
Have a great day ahead.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what is error code 41?
It is a temporary error for which a power cycle reset is suggested.
But that did not work in our case. Hence I suggested a service.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THANK YOU.

Most Welcome...

God Bless....

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sandeep, I was under the impression that you could solve my problem. Since you have not solved my problem how can I accept the answer?
No need to Accept.... I f you are not happy....