Leon Russell
Leon Russell, Computer Repairer
Experience:  1 year brick computer science institue, 5 years Traffic systems integration
32681815

my dell laptop will not connect to the internet with my ethernet

Customer Question

my dell laptop will not connect to the internet with my ethernet although a PC in the house, using the same ethernet, works fine. I have checked the cables. I have turned off the windows firewall. I got a new McAfee download just before this happened. please tell me what to do now?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Leon Russell replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Leon Russell :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX will assist you today, on the dell please go to start/control panel/network connections/then look for local area connection does the status say connected?

Customer:

Hi, the local area connection is "disabled" and the wireless net5work connection is "not connected." I have had to unplug the FIOS cable to bring it to where the working PC is located. When it is plugged in it shows as connected, but won't work.

Customer:

hi again, leon

Customer:

by the way, when I hit Function and the F2 button, it doesn't seem to change anything. The red X stays upon the network icon, so I can't tell if the network is connected or not.

Leon Russell :

ok when you have the ethernet plugged in to the dell go back to the "local area connection icon, right click it, go to properties at which point a properties screen will pop up, on this properties screen you will see a list, at the bottom of that list you should see tcp/ip, click on it once so it will highlight blue the click on properties under it, the next pop up will have some options to "detect network settings automatically" select it. and select the other automatic option at the bottom of that screen.. all automatic options should be selected. finally press ok on all the screens so they will close out, then go to that "local area connection" again and right click, select repair, aafter the repair process finished try to access internet

Customer:

OK, I'll have to be silent for a few minutes while I haul the Dell to the ethernet plug. Back soon.

Customer:

Hi again. I did as suggested and after hitting "repair" I got this reply from Windows. "Windows did not finish repairing the problem because.... Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed." Now what? Should I try it aghain?

Customer:

yoo hoo!

Customer:

welcome back

Leon Russell :

yes im here, unplug your modem for 15 seconds, but again be certain that you are connected to the ethernet

Customer:

will do. back in a mo

Customer:

hey leon! I unplugged the modem for 15 seconds. The Dell showed "cable unplugged." I turned Dell off then on, and now icon shows connected... but....

Customer:

i still cannot connect to the internet.

Customer:

Leon, I just re-did the steps you originally suggested and I got the same message back from windows. that it could not complete the repair because "failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection." What now?

Customer:

welcome back

Leon Russell :

lol thanks ,lets back track, you have the ethernet from your modem connected to your dell correct?

Customer:

yes, the ethernet from my modem is connected to my dell.

Leon Russell :

the same ethernet that works fine on another pc you have correct?

Customer:

yes. the pc I'm using to communicate with you is on the same ethernet. it obviously works.

Leon Russell :

ok, what operating system are you using on the pc your on now?

Customer:

internet explorer

Leon Russell :

operating system is like xp,or vista,or windows 7

Leon Russell :

internet explorer is a browser

Customer:

ooops. windows xp

Leon Russell :

on the pc your using now go to start/control panel/network connection/ and right click on local area network, then click on properties, then go to tcp/ip on the list . Tell me is your ip settings set for auto matic or do you see numbers in the fields

Customer:

Hi Leon, there are numbers. to wit:

Customer:

Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network Conne

Customer:

Hi again

Leon Russell :

i dont understand what your saying, when you go into the tcp/ip properties do you see numbers or is "automatically detect network settings selected?

Customer:

looking again. back in a mo

Leon Russell :

on hte pc your on that works

Customer:

Checked on the pc that works (the one I'm on) and both boxes are "automatic." Thre are no numbers.

Customer:

hi again

Leon Russell :

unplug your modem, turn off the dell, connect the ethernet cable to the dell, wait 15 seconds then turn the modem baack on, after all the modem light are on turn the dell back on, then go to a web page, also if a webpage does not open, click "file" in the upper left hand corner of internet explorer and look all the way at the bottom of the menu, make sure "work offline" is not selected

Customer:

OK, will do. Back shortly.

Customer:

hi again.

Customer:

I have done those steps. When I got to E I, the usual "can't connect" message comes up. But the FILE works, and I went down to the bottom to "work offline." It is not selected.

Leon Russell :

so as it stands now you can not get internet access?

Customer:

that's correct. The LAN shows no red X. The LAN text shows it is connected. But I cannot get to the internet. and the "repair" thing always stops midstream

Customer:

hurrah

Leon Russell :

tell me what connection you have in " network connections"

Customer:

checking....

Customer:

For the Local Area Network, it's Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Leon Russell :

ok so just so you understand local area network pertains to what ever the ethernet is connected to, so its stating that its connect to the modem, everyting indicates that the connection is there but the internet is not working, how are you confirming if the internet works?

Customer:

I click on the Internet Explorer icon and wait for my home page to come up. What comes up is a dialog box saying that windows cannot connect.

Customer:

leon, the local area network infor I just gave you is for the pc that works. the dell that is refusing to connect has a different network device. it says Broadcom NetXtreme 57xxgigabit controller

Leon Russell :

yes and as long as you have that device set to detect automatic network settings it should work, go to start/right click my computer/properties/ select hardware tab/ device manager/look on the list for "network adapters" /click the plus sign to the left of it, do you see any items in the list with a symbol next to it?

Customer:

AHA, MAYBE THIS IS THE PROBLEM. There are five items listed when the plus sign is clicked on network adapters. Three have exclamation points by them. The first one says Broadcom NetXtreme 57xxgigabit controller. The second one says the same, but there is an exclamation poihnt and the words McAfee Core NID/S Intermed Filter Miniport. The third says Dell Wireless 1470 Dual Band WLAN-Mini PCI card. The Fourth says the same (dell wireless 1470 etc) with an exclamation point and the words (same as above) McAfee Core NID/S Intermed Filter Miniport. Fifth item is WAN miniport (IP) with exclamation point and the same McAfree Core etc. comment.

Leon Russell :

ok,in the lower right had corner do you see the mcafee icon?

Customer:

Yes, it's there on my ttroubled Dell.

Leon Russell :

right click on it and tell me your options

Customer:

The options, when I right click on the mcafee icon:

Customer:

Open McAfee total protection

Customer:

run a scan

Customer:

change settings

Customer:

check for updates

Customer:

verify subscription

Customer:

upgrade product

Customer:

view my account

Customer:

get help

Leon Russell :

open mcafee total protection, tell me your options

Customer:

It lists four categories, and I'm up to date on all of them, i.e., i'm a subscriber, etc. Then there's a list of things I can ask it to do. I'll have to copy them down for you

Customer:

OK, it says;

Customer:

Your computer is secure

Customer:

Next scan 8/10/2010

Customer:

real time scanning on

Customer:

updates current

Customer:

firewall o9n

Customer:

firewall on

Customer:

subscription active

Customer:

Then I can click on the following from the dialog box: virus and spyware protected; web and email protected; data protection and packup; home network defense; PC optimizer; parental controls.

Leon Russell :

turn that firewall off

Customer:

OK

Customer:

i turned it off for 60 minutes

Leon Russell :

now try to connect to internet

Customer:

I just tried and it still won't connect. Perhaps if I turn everything off again?

Customer:

how can I repair the Local Area Connection? By the way, I did unplug all and let modem be off for 15 seconds and still Internet Explorer won't connect.

Leon Russell :

ok. well go back to that list were u saw the exclamation marks and right click on every item that referenced mcafee and remove it,

Customer:

OK. Will do

Customer:

None of the three would "uninstall" and the dialog box says "failed to uninstall. the devide may be required to boot up the computer." So I DISABLED all three. Still can't connect to internet.

Customer:

oops, meant to write "the device may be required to boot up the computer."

Customer:

Since this didn't work, should re-able those three?

Customer:

Leon, I am offline for a while, too. Please e-mail me when you have anything to add. I have the awful feeling my next step is Verizon, supplier of the ethernet. I feel as though I should re-able those mcafee items in fear that I won't be able to boot up .

Leon Russell :

well mcafee is the issue so maybe you should contact them

Leon Russell :

im not familiar with the settings of the mcafee, but i can tell you that thats the issue

Customer:

Thanks Leon,

Customer:

I only posed the q to justanswer because I spent an hour on the phone with mcafee yesterday, and a nice guy from India walked me through quite an elaborate tour of my computer only to tell me at the end that it was not a mcafee problem. If not mcafee, i figured it was a Dell problem; hence my connection to you. I'm entitled to 30 days free McAfee tech support, having just re-upped my mcafee subscription, so perhaps I should try McAfee again. Anyhow, I'm out of here for a while.