Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

How do I wipe out my laptop and restore it to factory settings

How do I wipe out my laptop and restore it to factory settings (not to a date in the past -- completely CLEAN)?
Chat Conversation Started
Andy :

Hi, What is the make n model of the computer ?

Customer :

hp Pavilion dv4000

Andy :

You need to perform system recovery on your computer. You can do it in two ways as explained below.

Follow the steps below to use HP Recovery Manager to return your notebook to its baseline factory condition, then allow the PC to run all the setup programs.

Please let me know if you are stuck at any step.

1. Press the power button to turn on the PC, and press F11 on the keyboard immediately while the computer is starting up. The HP Backup and Recovery Manager window will appear.

NOTE: Depending on the BIOS version, your computer may display multiple prompts during startup including F11 to start System Recovery. Pressing the F11 key on a computer with an HP factory image wiill start System Recovery even if the prompt is not displayed.

2. Click Advanced options , select the System recovery option, and then click Next .

3. If the Recovery Manager can access the hard drive it displays a prompt to backup up user files before continuing the recovery. You may either backup your files, or skip the backup and recover the operating system.

4. If the Recovery Manager cannot access the hard drive to fix the system errors, you will need the Recovery disks.

If you dont have the disc, you will have to call HP and order the disc :
800-HP invent
or
(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

If you are not located in US let me know your country's name.

Put the Recovery Disk into your drive and restart your computer. Restart computer and on startup screen it will mention a Key to enter setup. Press that key immediately to enter setup. Then you will find many tabs. Goto BOOT tab. Change the boot order to make the CD Drive as 1st device in Boot order list and do Save and Exit. Then restart computer making sure disc is already in CD Drive. This will load computer from recovery disc.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Please click "ACCEPT" to acknowledge my answer.

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Customer :

Suggestion did not work. When I started the laptop and held the F11 button the computer just started like normal.

Andy :

Hi, That means that the recovery drive is corrupt or does not exist in your hard drive. Now

you will need the Recovery disks.

800-HP invent
or
(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Customer :

I have the recovery disc. I put it in, shut down the computer and then started the computer. There was no screen that came up, it just started like usual.

Customer :

This is so frustrating!

Andy :

Where did you get the recovery disc from

Customer :

From when I bought the laptop. The disc says "Application and Driver Recovery DVD" - is that the right one?

Andy :

Is it a HP branded disc ?

Customer :

Yes.

Customer :

I have all the discs. There's also one that says "HP QuickPlay Application Restore CD" -- should I try that one?

Andy :

I am afraid but none of those seems to be a Operating System recovery disc

Andy :

Did you change the Boot order in the BIOS ?

Customer :

Never got to anything that said, "Boot order or BIOS"

Customer :

There's also a disc that says "Operating System CD" (nothing about recovery).

Andy :

Are you talking to me from a different comp righ now ?

Customer :

yes

Andy :

Restart your computer .. and on the first screen you will find a Key mentioned .. to enter Setup ... press that key immediately to enter BIOS setup ... let me know once u enter the setup

Andy :

(do this on that HP computer)

Customer :

Okay, now I'm at a blue screen with "Windows Setup" at the top and "Setup is loading file" across the bottom

Customer :

BTW, I have the "Operating System CD" in the drive right now...

Andy :

Yes, thats the disc that you need

Andy :

So is the computer loading from the disc now ?

Customer :

OKay, now a Welcome to setup screen

Customer :

Options: to setup Windows XP, press ENTER

Andy :

did u reach here using the disc ?

Customer :

to repair Windows XP installation using recovery console, press r

Customer :

yes

Customer :

last option is to quit, press F3

Andy :

what r other options

Customer :

I just gave you all three

Andy :

press Enter

Customer :

ENTER = continue; R=Repair; F3=Quit

Customer :

still enter?

Andy :

yes

Customer :

F8 = I agree, right?

Customer :

or, ESC or page down...

Customer :

still there?

Andy :

F8

Andy :

yes, I am here dont worry ...

Andy :

press F8

Customer :

sorry, I'm impatient since I've been dealing with this (unsuccessfully) so long! ;)

Customer :

Same choices as before: F3 = quit; R=Repair; ESC=don't repair

Andy :

1 sec

Customer :

k

Andy :

press ESC

Customer :

OKay, now a list of existing partitions: C: or E: at the bottom it says, ENTER=Install; D=Delete Partition; f3=Quit

Andy :

If there is an option to select... select C

Andy :

and press Enter

Customer :

it talks about multiple operating systems... continue setup, press C or select a different partition, ESC

Andy :

press C

Andy :

then press Enter

Customer :

Format the partition using the NTFS file system (QUick) or

Andy :

Next, press ENTER to install Windows XP in the partition created, and at the next window, select the 'Format the partition using the NTFS file system (quick)' option and wait for the system to format the drive accordingly.

Customer :

Format the partition using the NTFS file system or

Customer :

Leave the current file system intact

Customer :

enter or ESC

Andy :

select the 'Format the partition using the NTFS file system (quick)' option and wait for the system to format the drive accordingly.

Andy :

Wait for the system to finish copying the files and reboot, then load up your XP OS as you do normally (don't boot from the disc again), and follow the steps given accordingly to install the OS ..and you are all set.

Customer :

okay, setting is formatting

Customer :

I mean Setup

Andy :

Awesome ... so it will do its work ... and it will take some time. Then u will be all set !

Andy :

Please click "ACCEPT" to pay me for my work.

Andy :

Hi, are you with me ?

Customer :

yeah, just waiting for it to finish

Andy :

It can take a while .. even an hr or few hrs .. depending on hard drive size

Andy :

You can leave the computer as its an automated process ... :-)

Customer :

okay. It says 39 min. Once it's all done and I can re-login I will come back and hit "ACCEPT" and get you paid. thanks for your help!

Andy :

Andy :

Press Ctrl+D to save this page as Favorite/Bookmark so that you can click on it to reach me once you come back.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.

The chat feature has been turned off.

Let me know how it goes.