Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.

my IP address is and I need the SSID for my belkin

Customer Question

my IP address is and I need the SSID for my belkin router in order to connect a printer wirelessly. please send the info!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Frederick S. replied 6 years ago.
Hi - thanks for submitting your question to I will be the expert assisting you today.

Unfortunately, I cannot give you the SSID as this is something that is either (a) preset by the router; or (b) changed by you or a technician after the router was installed. There are a few ways to get the SSID. I will order them by easiest to more time-consuming.
  1. Do you have any other devices that use wireless at your house like a laptop? If you get on the Internet at home with your laptop wirelessly, you will see the wireless network name pop up whenever you are connected in the bottom-right corner.
  2. To see the wireless network you are connected to (if it doesn't pop up in the bottom right), click on the two little computers connected to each other in the bottom right (if Windows XP), or the computer with the globe icon (Windows Vista), or lastly a computer with a cable to the left side of it (Windows 7).
  3. If this doesn't work, you can go to Start menu (bottom-left), Network Connections (may also say "Connect to")... then find your Wireless Network that is currently connected and double-click it - the name should appear in that properties box.
  4. You can log in to your wireless router. Since you have a 192.168.2.x address, the gateway (router) is - please log in with the username and password XXXXX provided to you. If you do not know the username/password, chances are high that it is set to either [blank username] password admin or admin as both username and password; and lastly, admin as the username and [blank password]. On the left side, there should be an option that says Wireless. This will contain the SSID you are looking for.
Let me know if this works for you! Be sure to click Accept if it does. If it doesn't, we can continue troubleshooting! Thanks.

Edited by Frederick Szczepanski on 7/31/2010 at 3:20 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you. i went to the website and it says my SSID is Andrea (which is what is says on my computer too), but when I type that in during the wireless printer installation process it says it can't find it. that's why i thought i had the wrong SSID, but apparently there is some other issue? why can't the printer installation program find it???
OK - so the printer itself cannot find your wireless network, or it can't connect? What is the exact error message (if any)?

I will also need your printer's make (like HP, Canon, etc) and model number. Thanks!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is HP Photosmart C4700 and it says the wireless network name (SSID) you entered has not been found.
Hi - can you be a bit more specific about the model? I am showing these available under 4700:

» HP Photosmart C4750 All-in-One Printer
» HP Photosmart C4780 All-in-One Printer
» HP Photosmart C4783 All-in-One Printer
» HP Photosmart C4788 All-in-One Printer
» HP Photosmart C4795 All-in-One Printer

I look forward to your response - thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry, it's 4780
OK - thanks for that information. From what I've read in a manual for that HP printer model, you have to run the setup CD that came with the printer in your computer and then connect the printer when prompted. Here are the instructions:

To connect the product (to your wireless network):
  1. Insert the product Software CD in the computer CD-ROM drive.
  2. Follow the instructions on the screen.
  3. When you are prompted, connect the product to the computer using the USB setup cable included in the box. The product will attempt to connect to the network. If the connection fails, follow the prompts to correct the problem, and then try again.
  4. When the setup is finished, you will be prompted to disconnect the USB cable and test the wireless network connection. Once the product connects successfully to the network, install the software on each computer that will use the product over the network.
Let me know if going through these steps allows you to get the wireless network set up on the printer - thanks!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
those are the steps I've been following all morning, but it can't find my belkin wireless SSID Andrea -- that's where it gets stopped. I don't know if it's a firewall issue or what the problem could be. If it's a firewall protection, I don't know how to make an exception to allow the connection????
OK. Thanks for that information.

No - it shouldn't have anything to do with any software on your computer. It is basically telling the printer that it needs to try the wireless network with its own hardware.

Can you please go back into the admin control panel for your router...

then type the username/password XXXXX that previously worked...

Select "Wireless" on the side and see if any security (like WEP, WAP, WAP2, etc) is enabled for the wireless network? This may be what's causing the issue - thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

when I go to that site, it only asked for a password XXXXX a login and when I leave it blank or when i type in admin, I get the following message:

Cannot connect to the firmware information server, please double check the wan connection.

when i click on wireless on the left panel it just tells me the definitions of some terms like SSID

OK - thanks for that information.

Let's try and see if it does have a WEP key by checking your computer for a stored key. Since you're currently online, it should be stored there.

Please download this utility:

Install/run, and let me know if you find the key for your network Andrea - thanks.

Edited by Frederick Szczepanski on 7/31/2010 at 5:27 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it ran a big scan and found a whole bunch of errors but i don't know where to look for "Andrea" and I have to go out -- will be back on line late tonight if you have any more advice about next steps.
Hi - thanks for that information. I think the advertisement on the right threw you off - is that the link you clicked? Please look for the "Download Now" link above the two groups of stars on the left. It shouldn't really do a scan :o) Sorry for the confusion. Let me know - thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

This did not work. It said "download will begin in a minute" but it never did anything. I think there is some type of firewall issue because when I first start downloading the printer software it said there was a firewall detected and I should let the security softward accept the printer software but there's no place I can find to tell the computer to accept the printer software. I'm afraid I need to call in my IT people from work -- i don't know how to get around this??

Can you please download Google Chrome from here:

and try to download that file from there? There may be some unusual restriction within Internet Explorer. Then try to download it again:

Let me know - thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, will try it tomorrow -- thanks