Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Does a Netgear wireless go bad How can I tell if its my

Does a Netgear wireless go bad? How can I tell if it's my Internet Provider or the wireless box? The Provider swears it is not them; that the wireless needs to be replaced (of course they would like it to be replaced by their wireless)
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

Yes.. it is possible for a netgear wireless router to go bad..

If you want to verify if it works or not.. Let me know the model number of your netgear router..

And we can go through some quick troubleshooting steps to verify where the issue is..

Isp... Or Netgear..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the router is in a different room hold on:
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm getting it
WPN824
PIN 546.00004.0005
SERIALNNN-NN-NNNNB8
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Ok.. thanks..

question.. can your computer see the wireless network?

also.. have you tried to connect it to the netgear via the ethernet cable.. yet?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What am I looking at for the wireless network? I can pull up the signal level.

I don't know how I'd connect to ethernet cable
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Aha..

yes. signal level.. What is the name of your network.. ?

If you never named it.. it should be called netgear.. can you see the signal level of the netgear network.

And as far as the ethernet cable..

How are you connected to the internet right now in order to talk to me?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Internet into Netgear wireless (sorry lost the connection to you but seems ok now)
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Ok,.. so your getting internet into the netgear wireless..

Then..

Why does your isp think its broken.. were talking so it must be working.

please explain what the issue is.. thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It frequently goes down. Right now it's fine
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The frequency of not connecting causes me to contact the provider. We have a MAC desktop, Apple MAC Book and a dell desk top Could we be overloading the netgear?
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
i doubt your overloading the netgear..

most likely.. it just needs to be reset..

to reset it

Resetting to Factory Defaults

Hardware reset: Push the reset button on the back of the router for 15 seconds.

Image

it needs to be powered on when you do this.. and you should see all the lights flas, then go out.

Afterwards.. you will need to shut down your computer and start it to reconnect.

Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
It may be internet explorer on the dell. but on the apples and macs.. They dont have internet explorer..

On the dell.. you could do this to reset internet explorer just to be safe

click start, click run, type in inetcpl.cpl

then on the options screen that comes up, click advanced, then click reset under reset settings, then click reset again..

then when it finishes.. close and reopen internet explorer..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks