RPI Solutions
RPI Solutions, Support Specialist
Experience:  5+ Years in IT, BS in Computer Science
14124282

the fax machine will receive but will not send

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  RPI Solutions replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Robert Preston :

What's the brand and model of the fax?

Customer:

hp lazerjet 3380

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
General fax troubleshooting
The following sections provide general fax troubleshooting suggestions for issues with sending or receiving faxes.
Perform the following before attempting more in-depth troubleshooting:
  • Is the fax set up correctly?
  • What type of telephone line is in use?
  • Is a telephone-line splitter in use?
  • Is a surge-protection device in use?
  • Is a telephone company voice-messaging service in use?
  • Is an answering machine in use?
Is the fax set up correctly?
Use the following checklist to define what is causing any faxing problems that are occurring:
  • Is the fax cord that was supplied with the device the fax cord that is being used? This device has been tested with the supplied fax cord and was proven to meet device specifications. If the supplied fax cord is not in use, reinstall it.
  • Is the fax cord installed in the correct port on the device? It should be plugged into the "line" port (the port that is marked with an icon (HP LaserJet 3015 all-in-one or HP LaserJet 3030 all-in-one) or with an "L" (HP LaserJet 3380 all-in-one)).
  • Is the fax cord seated in the port on the device? Disconnect and reconnect the fax cord to make sure that it is well seated in the correct port.
  • Is the telephone jack working properly? Verify that a dial tone exists by attaching a telephone to the jack on the wall. Can a dial tone be heard and can a telephone call be made?
What type of telephone line is in use?
  • Dedicated line : A unique fax/telephone number assigned to receive or send faxes. The fax cord should be connected to the device "line" port.
  • Shared telephone line : A system where both telephone calls and faxes are received or sent by using the same telephone number and telephone line. A single, standard telephone line can perform only one function at a time. A fax cannot be sent while someone is talking on the telephone or while a computer is trying to connect to the Internet.
  • PBX system : A business-environment telephone system: Standard home telephones and HP LaserJet all-in-one devices use an analog telephone signal. Some PBX systems are digital and might be incompatible with standard telephones and with devices such as the HP LaserJet all-in-one.
  • Roll-over lines : A telephone system feature where, when one incoming line is busy, the next call "rolls over" to the next available line. Try attaching the device to the first incoming telephone line. The device will answer the telephone after it rings the number of times that is specified in the device rings-to-answer setting.
  • Distinctive ring service : The telephone company can assign two telephone numbers to one physical line and assign a distinctive ring pattern to each number. Make sure that the device is set to respond to the correct distinctive ring pattern that the telephone service provider assigned to the fax number. This service is not available in all countries/regions. Make sure that the telephone company provides this service before changing the setting.
Is a telephone-line splitter in use?
A telephone-line splitter is a device used to split two or more telephone lines from the same jack. Confusion can result from the existence of two different kinds of splitters. Parallel splitters (also called "T" splitters) split a single line into two equal jacks, allowing two devices to be plugged into the same line.
Line 1/Line 2 splitters provide two unique telephone line outlets from a single jack with two unique telephone numbers (two telephone lines are connected to a single jack). A Line 1/Line 2 splitter must be used if there is a fax line and a voice line that are controlled by the same jack.
Not all splitters are compatible with the device, and not all countries/regions support the use of splitters.
NOTE: Hewlett-Packard does not recommend using parallel, or "T" splitters with the device because they can degrade the quality of the telephone signal. If it is necessary to attach a second device to the telephone line along with the device, plug the second device into the all-in-one device "telephone" port (the port that is marked with a telephone icon).
Is a surge-protection device in use?
This is a device that is used between the jack in the wall and the device to protect the device against electrical power that passes through the telephone lines. These can cause some fax communication problems by degrading the quality of the telephone signal. If there is difficulty sending or receiving faxes and one of these devices is in use, connect the device directly to the telephone jack to determine if the problem is with the surge-protection device.
Is a telephone company voice-messaging service in use?
A voice-messaging service can be used to replace telephone-answering devices. If the messaging service rings-to-answer setting is lower than the device rings-to-answer setting, the messaging service answers the call and the device is not able to receive faxes. If the device rings-to-answer setting is lower than that of the messaging service, the device answers all of the calls and no call is ever routed to the messaging service. The only voice-messaging solution that can be used successfully with the device is a standalone telephone-answering machine.
Is an answering machine in use?
An answering machine should be connected directly to the port that is labeled with the telephone icon, or it should be shared on the same telephone-line extension.
Set the device rings-to-answer setting for at least one ring more than the number of rings for which the answering machine is set.
NOTE: If an answering machine is connected to the same telephone line but on a different jack (in another room, for example), it might interfere with the device's ability to receive faxes.
General fax problems
Issue Cause Solution
The document stops feeding in the middle of faxing. The maximum length of a page that can be loaded is 381 mm (15 inches). Faxing of a longer page stops at 381 mm (15 inches). If no jam exists and less than one minute has elapsed, wait a moment before press Cancel . If a jam exists, remove the media.
If the item is too small, it can jam inside the automatic document feeder (ADF).

(HP LaserJet 3015 all-in-one) The minimum paper size for the ADF is 74 x 105 mm (2.9 x 4 inches).

(HP LaserJet 3030 all-in-one and HP LaserJet 3380 all-in-one) The minimum page size for the ADF is 127 x 127 mm (5 x 5 inches).
If a jam exists, remove the media.
The fax activity logs or fax call reports are printing at inappropriate times. The fax activity log or fax call reports settings are not correct. Print a configuration report and check when the reports print. Set the appropriate log or report printing times through the control panel or the HP Toolbox.
The volume for sounds that the device emits is too loud or too soft. The volume setting needs to be adjusted. Set the appropriate sound volume settings through the control panel.
Fax send troubleshooting
Use the information in the following table to solve problems that might occur when sending faxes:
Issue Cause Solution
Faxes stop during sending. The fax machine to which the fax is being sent might be malfunctioning. Try sending to another fax machine.
The telephone might not be working. Do one of the following:
  • Turn up the volume on the device, and then press Fax/Send on the control panel. If a dial tone is heard, the telephone line is working.
  • Disconnect the device from the jack in the wall, and then connect a telephone to the jack. Try to make a telephone call to make sure that the telephone line is working.
A communication error might be interrupting the fax job. Change the redial-on-communication-error setting to On.

See the electronic User Guide on the CD-ROM that shipped with the product.
The device is receiving faxes but is not sending them. If the device is on a PBX system, the PBX system might be generating a dial tone that the device cannot detect. Disable the detect-dial-tone setting.

A poor telephone connection might exist. Try again later.
The fax machine to which the unit is sending to might be malfunctioning. Try sending to another fax machine.
The telephone line might not be working. Do one of the following:
Outgoing fax calls continue to be dialed. The device automatically redials a fax number if the redial options are set to On. Press Cancel to stop the redials while the device is dialing.

To cancel a pending fax job, see "Canceling a fax job" in the electronic Users' Guide on the product CD-ROM.

See "Changing the redial settings" in the electronic Users' Guide on the product CD-ROM.
Faxes that are sent are not arriving at the receiving fax machine. The receiving fax machine might be off or might have an error condition, such as being out of paper. Call the recipient to make sure that the fax machine is on and ready to receive faxes.
The originals might be incorrectly loaded. Make sure that the original documents are correctly loaded into the automatic document feeder (ADF) input tray or flatbed scanner (not available with the HP LaserJet 3015 all-in-one).
A fax might be in memory because it is waiting to redial a busy number, other jobs that are ahead of it are waiting to be sent, or the fax is set up for a delayed send. If a fax job is in memory for any of these reasons, an entry for the job appears in the fax log. Print a fax activity log and check the Status column for jobs that show a Pending designation.
All of the numbers of a long fax number cannot be dialed. The maximum number of digits of characters that can be entered into a fax number is XXXXX Try manually dialing the fax number.
Faxes that are sent include a block of gray shading at the end of each page. The original may be on the flatbed scanner (HP LaserJet 3030 all-in-one and HP LaserJet 3380 all-in-one only), with the glass-fax size set incorrectly. Make sure the setting is correct. See "Changing the default glass-size setting" in the electronic Users' Guide on the product CD-ROM.
Faxes that are sent have data missing from the end of each page. The original may be on the flatbed scanner (HP LaserJet 3030 all-in-one and HP LaserJet 3380 all-in-one only), with the glass-fax size set incorrectly. Make sure the setting is correct. See "Changing the default glass-size setting" in the electronic Users' Guide on the product CD-ROM.