Engineer John C., Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer with 10 years of experience in Computer Service and CompTIA A+ CERTIFIED.
23822421

my emachine Em250 wont connect to the internet. I hav

Customer Question

my emachine Em250 won't connect to the internet. I have had it for three trouble free months and now it tries to connect but can't. I have taken it back to factory settings and reinstalled network. I recognises there are networks available but says "unable to connect t wireless network".
Category: Computer
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Let's try this FIRST:

1- Turn off your wireless router (and unplug it from the electricity outlet if it does not have a power button) BUT PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART

2- Turn off your internet modem (if you have one) and unplug it from the electricity outlet

3- Turn off your computer(s)

4- Turn off your wireless printer(s)

5- Wait 5 minutes

6- Turn them all ON again.

7- Try to connect

8- Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort.

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What if I can't do all that

Why not ? please explain...

Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can't get access to all the computers or the router for quite some time. The problem with my connection is with the computer, not of the other machines have had a problem. I've taken the battery out of the emachine, rebooted it, everything until I finally gave in and went back to factory settings.

Is there something else I can try in the meantime?

Ok, please follow the steps below from that computer:

1- Click Start, then type "cmd" without the quotes and press the Enter key

2- Type "ipconfig /release" without the quotes and press Enter

3- Type "ipconfig /renew" without the quotes and press Enter

4- Please click Start, then Control Panel

5- Now click "View by: Large icons"

6- Click "Network and Sharing Center"

7- Click "Connect to a Network"

8- A list of wireless networks will show up. Please select your network (it may be 'linksys', John's network, etc) and then click "Connect"

Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting

Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
says "no operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected."

So can't get past the first thing on your list

Just follow all the steps, even if you get that error message.

Then keep me posted, please!

Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have still not received any helpfu response to my computer issue and my credit card has been charged. Please explain. My understanding was the charge would be processed once I accepted an answer. I still cannot connect to the internet on that computer.

Please don't worry about it. That's the "good faith" deposit that you can always get back If we don't solve the issue.

Please follow the steps below:

1- Click Start and immediately type "restore" without the quotes and press Enter

2- Select "Choose a different restore point"

3- Select a date that you remember all was working OK

4- Confirm the restore and restart the computer

Let me know if it worked :-)

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've already done all those restoring options before I took it back to factory settings

Ok, thank you

Please disable the antivirus and the firewall

Then restart the computer

Then try again to connect

Thank you

John Cappucci

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)