compdan
compdan, Consultant
Experience:  over 20+ years experience in the computer field
42136626

How do you put crop marks on a Publisher 2010 document

Customer Question

How do you put crop marks on a Publisher 2010 document?
Category: Computer
Expert:  James R replied 4 years ago.
You can use lines to draw them in if you want them on the document. Otherwise, actual crop marks are available in the advancd printing options when you print.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
But where James do I find the 'Advanced Printing options?'
Expert:  James R replied 4 years ago.
When you print, the print window that pops up will have an Advanced button that you can hit. The options including crop will be there. Also, if you go to "help" in Publisher and enter "crop" it will give you all the info you need on the process.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No James, this does not work. I have tried and tried. No advanced button comes up. Neither does the word 'crop' bring up any help when entered, as you suggest.
Expert:  James R replied 4 years ago.
Are you printing on paper that is larger than the size you have set for you publication? If not, then crop marks will not be available.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I am.
Expert:  James R replied 4 years ago.
hmmm, ok, let me do a little more research, maybe Publisher 2010 handles this differently than previous versions. I'll see what I can find and get back to you shortly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Many thanks indeed.

I run a small magazine which gets sent to a Commercial Printer (5 times a year). The next issue is due to go the printers soon and I am getting concerned about this issue and that I may be unable to use Publisher 2010 - which is a great pity as I like the look of it.

I shall be awaiting your reply very eagerly.

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

Thanks again.

Ursula

Expert:  James R replied 4 years ago.
It looks like they may have put these settings under File > Info > Commercial Print Information. Please check there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have looked there.

No obvious answer, I assure you!

Thanks.

ursula

Expert:  James R replied 4 years ago.
ok, I'll keep looking
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  James R replied 4 years ago.
Wow, I've looked everywhere and can't find anything else about this. When you go to File > Print, you don't see "Advanced Print Settings" anywhere?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes there are no advanced printing options availible.

in 2003 there are a few simple check boxes to enable bleed and crop markings.

please come back to me when you have had a chance to maybe ask microsoft about this issue.

can you please inform me via email when you have next posted a reply.

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Thank you

Expert:  James R replied 4 years ago.
There is no way for me to email you, your email address is Xed out before your posts get to us. I have already searched through a lot of Microsoft info and have come up empty. I'm going to opt out of this question and open it up to the other experts. If anyone else knows something I don't or has any other ideas they will pick up the question. I'm sorry I couldn't find anything for you, I've spent two hours looking and am out of ideas.

Edited by James R on 7/14/2010 at 4:58 PM EST
Expert:  compdan replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you today.

Before you spend too much time I would contact your printer. I have been in the design print business for a long time and none of my printers will accept a publisher document.

Sounds like you are trying to have bleed and see the cut lines. The best software for this that is accepted universally is Adobe Indesign, but it is expensive. You can also use Adobe Pagemaker and older version is probably available on Amazon pretty cheap. either of these can got to a printer and can also ouput a multipage PDF.