Molinari
Molinari, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified IT Guru since C-64 and Amiga, expert at grey areas....
16561526

how do I uninstall Photo Viewer in Windows 7 home premium

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  pims replied 4 years ago.

Wellcome to JA,

When you uninstall through control panel the software stil runing?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I assume the software was still running. Whilst logged in as Administrator I right clicked on Window Essentials in AddRemove Programs in Control Panel, selected uninstall and then ticked Window Photo something or other. This was the only one of the four boxes ticked. I rebooted the computer, logged in as User and found that Windows Photo Viewer still had control of all my photos. I have used ACDSee Pro2 (purchased last year) and transferred to this new computer in November. It worked sucessfully for some months and then some unknown update made all my photos revert to Windows Photo Viewer. I Have uninstalled ACDSee Pro 2 until this problem is solved. If all else fails I will completely uninstall Windows Live Essentials and find another email program as well.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer

What I recomend is that you change the file association of the picture files so they display in the program you wish (eg: ACDSee).

First install this again as it will ask you to associate the pictures files with it.

If you still have problems, please follow the tutorial on the below link to associate files manually

http://www.winvistaclub.com/t19.html

I would advise against uninstalling Photo Viewer unless you really feel its nessesary.

If you require any additional information, please do not hesitate to let me know

Expert:  Molinari replied 4 years ago.
When you right click on a picture and choose open with, what are your options?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK - I have tried this step a couple of time before I uninstalled ACDSee Pro. I tried to change the file associations inACDSee back to that program opening jpg,jpeg etc. but the program then ceased to work. I tried right clicking on a picture and tried to change the program to open but even though I clicked on ACDsee there was no way to click on the box to keep ACDSee as the program to handle these files and this option failed also. I tried to change the program in Control Panel Default Programs tab and this failed also. I am not a novice with computers having used them since 1996 and before this new one I bought in Nov last year had built my last two computers but I wanted this allinone screen with no big boxes any more. Over to you again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK just came back to my computer as it is now 4.37am here but I believe that answer I just typed above has the answers to your question.
Expert:  Molinari replied 4 years ago.
You reinstalled ACDSee correct?
When given the list of options to open it with, was ACDSee listed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dear Sirs - YOU HAVE NOT GIVEN ME THE ANSWER I NEED this subject is not finished and I am not satisfied. I asked for information on how to remove Windows Photo Viewer from my Windows 7 computer and you have dithered for four days. I am not satisfied with your service
Expert:  Molinari replied 4 years ago.
I didn't have enough information from the questions I asked you to give an answer yet.
Did you reinstall ACDSee ?

If you would rather I give up and let you work with the previous 2 experts, I can opt out....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I thought I had answered these questions. Yes I reinstalled ACDSee Pro 2. Acdsee was listed as an option and when I selected it as the program to handle jpg etc it would not let me tick the box to use this program as the default and when I went back to my Pictures folder the pictures still showed Windows Photo Viewer as the program to use. I also tried to set ACDSee as the default program through Control Panel Default Program again with the same result. I opened ACDSee and tried to set the file association from within that program but immediately the program ceased to work. I can think of no other means to bypass Windows Photo Viewer and want to remove this program from my computer totally.
Expert:  Molinari replied 4 years ago.
Ok, when doing it from default programs, associate a file type, you have to browse to your program files on C: and pick up the .exe of your graphics program.

graphic

See if that does it for jpg and jpeg....

I've also read that dep can interfere so you may want to disble that as well:

http://www.recipester.org/Recipe:Enable_or_Disable_DEP_in_Windows_7_27019737

Edited by Molinari on 7/15/2010 at 10:17 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No. followed your instructions exactly and got the Window that says "Windows Explorer has stopped working: tried to reverse the command prompt and got the message

"C: \Windows\system32>bcedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn
'bcedit.exe' is not recognised as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

OK now I am in territory I have no experience with and really really need help. The first command prompt went exactly as advised but I cannot reverse it.

:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry went back and Very Carefully read all the letters - I missed one and now it has been turned back on successfully.
Expert:  Molinari replied 4 years ago.
What happened with the associations?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Followed your instructions - windows explorer stopped working when I tried to set ACDSee as the default program. When windows explorer restarted I went back to the Pictures folder and the file associations are still set with Windows Picture Viewer. In the meantime I have upgraded my ACDSee Pro 2 to Pro 3 and went through all the instructions again with exactly the same results. The Windows Picture Viewer is a very tenacious program.
Expert:  Molinari replied 4 years ago.
If you know how to run the registry editor, you can try this.
Run Regedit
Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT / SystemFileAssociations / jpg / ShellEx / ContextMenuHandlers and delete the key ShellImagePreview. You may want to do the same for the other types like jpeg or bmp as well.

graphic

Edited by Molinari on 7/16/2010 at 1:27 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
your first image is blank could you repost this. I have to leave for an appointment in 10 minutes but will be back to computer in approx 6 hours. I will attempt the registry instructions then. Thank you
Expert:  Molinari replied 4 years ago.
There actually wasn't a first image...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry have not got back to this problem yet -- for some (by me unknown) reason I am having major problem with some programs on my computer and so far have had to uninstall and reinstall 7 programs, have reset my computer via System Restore back five times and still the problems keep recurring. At this moment I would consider my computer unstable and if I cannot resolve what is happening may have to reinstall Windows 7. I have Total Recovery Pro 7.3 and a backup as at the end of May so this is my next step if I cannot get these programs stable by the end of this weekend. Thank you for your advice I will try it as soon as possible.
Expert:  Molinari replied 4 years ago.
You may want to try running the free version of this, just to see if there's anything malicious going on:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/