James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
24111805

computer boots up. Then, the mouse freezes after boot up.

Customer Question

computer boots up. Then, the mouse freezes after boot up. It (mouse) will move, but will not activate anything I click on. Why? The keyboard freezes along with the mouse. What is the fix for this?
Category: Computer
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Please boot into Safe Mode by rebooting the computer and then hitting F8 repeatedly until you see the recovery console. Then select Safe Mode. Once in Safe Mode, restore the computer to a date when it worked properly.

Click Start, and go to Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools
Click System Restore
Follow the prompts to restore your system to a date when your'e certain it was working properly.

After you reboot, your system will be just as it was at the date you selected.

Thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll see if this works.
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Great, thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried your procedure at least three time and have only been able to select the safe mode, but then it goes to a screen with around 6 to 7 lines of information. It will not allow me to go back to a time frame when the computer was working fine. It just stays on the screen with those 6 or 7 lines.
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
What is the last line of those 6-7 lines? This will tell us where the problem is.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ntoskrnl.exe

hal.dll

KDCOM.DLL

BOOTVID.dll

config\system

config\system.log

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Well, this is not good news I'm afraid.
You will need to boot from your operating system CD, and then follow the setup prompts. Once setup finds there is an existing installation, it will repair it for you.

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll try that, and see if it will work.
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Put diskette in and computer just stayed there. as the mouse and keyboard. I'll start over again and see. This isn't a whole lot of success with this problem at this point.
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Turn the computer completley off, put the Windows setup CD in the drive, and then turn on - the computer needs to boot from the Windows setup CD.

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

J,

I do understand that point, but it didn't work.

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
The computer didn't boot from the CD?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, not yet. If I get the machine to boot from the CD will I loose any data on the computer, or will it just recognize and repair what is there. I am figuring this will take some long minutes or longer to accomplish. Am I correct on the time issue. also?
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
You will not lose any data, and you are right about the issue.

When you power up your computer, you should see a message about either a boot menu or how to enter setup. Either one of these options will let us hit a key to change the boot order, and have the computer boot form the CD. Go ahead and try to make it boot from the CD.

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Here goes again, this may take awhile.

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Take your time, no rush!