Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

Is it possible to move my autocorrect and autotext files from

Customer Question

Is it possible to move my autocorrect and autotext files from my old Word 2003 XP computer to my new Word 2010 Windows 7?
Category: Computer
Expert:  s4sys replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
s4sys :

Hi

s4sys :

Thanks for using just answer

Expert:  s4sys replied 4 years ago.
please click on the below link to see how to enable auto correct option in office 2010

Click_here

Let me know is it workde for you

With Regards,
chindhu

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page. If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.

Edited by s4sys on 7/14/2010 at 4:03 AM EST
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 4 years ago.

Please click here for details steps to move your autocorrect and autotext files from Word 2003 to 2007. Also, click here or here or here for more issue.

To migrate AutoText entries to Word 2007:

In previous versions of Word, AutoText entries are stored in the Normal.dot template or in user templates. Word 2007 stores the entries as a separate template in the Document Building Blocks directory. During installation, the old Normal template is renamed from Normal.dot to Normal11.dot.

1. Copy the old Normal template (Normal11.dot) from:

C:\Documents and Settings_<username>_\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\Normal11.dot
to
C:\Documents and Settings_<username>_\Application Data\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks

1. Open the file C:\Documents and Settings_<username>_\Application Data\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\Normal11.dot from in Word 2007
  2. Save the file as AutoText.dotx by choosing Office button | Save as | Word template and make sure the file type is Word document (*.dotx). The file will then upgrade to the new Word 2007 format.
  3. With AutoText.dotx open in Word 2007, go to the Building Blocks Organizer by choosing Insert | Quick Parts | Building Blocks Organizer... You will see your AutoText entries listed here.
  4. In the Building Blocks Organizer, you can move AutoText entries to the Quick Parts gallery or any gallery you prefer. To do this, select an AutoText entry, click Edit Properties..., select the appropriate gallery in the drop down box, and click OK.

Follow the following procedure to make AutoText entries available while you compose emails in Outlook 2007.

1. Open the AutoText.dotx file you just created in Word 2007 (C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks) and save it as Temp.dotx in the same directory.
  2. Open NormalEmail.dotm in Word 2007 and go to Insert | Quick Parts | Building Blocks Organizer....
  3. Move all the AutoText entries in the Buildings Block Organizer from the Temp template to the NormalEmail template. To do this, select an AutoText entry, click Edit Properties..., select NormalEmail in the Save in: drop down box, and click OK.
  4. When you finish moving all AutoText entries, close Word 2007 and delete the file C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\Temp.dotx.

To migrate AutoCorrect entries and other customisation to Word 2007:

1. Exit Word 2007 if it is currently open.
  2. In My Computer, navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates.
  3. Right-click Normal.dotm, select Rename, and enter a name, such as Normal.old. Click Yes when the following message appears: "If you change a file name extension, the file may become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it?"
  4. Right-click Normal11.dot, select Rename, and enter Normal.dot for the new filename. The next time you start Office Word 2007, Office Word 2007 converts and renames Normal.dot to Normal.dotm. Your customizations should now be available in Office Word 2007.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My new Windows 7 machine has Windows Office Home and Business 2010 installed in it. Isn't that version of Word 2010 not Work 2007?

Office 2010 and 2007 are pretty much similar. Please try the same above steps. Thanks.
Experience: Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.