mary, Consultant
Experience:  MCA (Masters in Computer Application

my dell inspiron 530 beeps 6 times and wont boot up. Keeps

Customer Question

my dell inspiron 530 beeps 6 times and won't boot up. Keeps beeping in that pattern. What do I do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  mary replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACUSTOMER-ny18tqpa-. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Please provide me the service tag # XXXXX the computer you can find it on a barcoded sticker 5to7 digits alphanumeric code.

-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I bought a new keyboard and mouse. wireless logitech. I read the 6 beep code was a bad keyboard. The new keyboard has not helped. still has the problem.
Expert:  mary replied 6 years ago.

As per Dell the error beep code indicated video bios failure however this means the chip for video related architecture is blow or not functioning on the motherboard. if the computer is under warranty then you can get the mobo replaced all you need to do is call Dell at 1800(NNN) NNN-NNNN.

Try to perform a series of simple steps:

1. switch off the computer.

2 unplug the power cord from the power outlet to ensure that no power is connected to the system and remove everything connected to the cpu box (tower) including the power cord.

3. keep the power button on the system pressed for around 10 seconds

connect the monitor only and power on pc

check whether the problem gets solved or not.

please let me know so that i can guide you with further steps in case it does not get resolved.

Edited by INSTAFIX on 7/9/2010 at 4:23 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
doesn't work
Expert:  mary replied 6 years ago.

This requires an advance troubleshooting however if you are comfortable to remove the cover of the tower then we can try to make the computer working.

Remove the power cable and all the peripherals connected to the computer

open the tower and use a philips screwdriver and remove the video card and then connect the monitor video cable to the onboard video port (blue) D type connector 15 pin. and then connect the power cord and turn on and check.

Update me the status.

Open the link this will help you open and remove the part.

Expert:  mary replied 6 years ago.

I will be away for sometime incase you have any question do post me a message and i will reply as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll have to get back to you later. I have a HD monitor and I'm not sure if I have the dvi to 15 pin adapters.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll have to get back to you later.
Expert:  mary replied 6 years ago.

Not a problem sir any time you are back please post me a reply with a time and i will be available.

Thanks and regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no thanks
Expert:  mary replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for using just answer and have a nice day.