Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, Computer Engineer
Experience:  17 years troubleshooting PC/Server/Printer and network
21913621

I cannot print any maps, Bing, MapQuest, etc. Whats the

Customer Question

I cannot print any maps, Bing, MapQuest, etc. What's the deal? FYI: Tower is HP Pavilion 9550; printer is HP Officejet J6450. Everything else prints fine.
Category: Computer
Expert:  replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Christopher Bessler :

Hello.

Christopher Bessler :

I will be happy to assist you with this.

Christopher Bessler :

Let me know when you are ready to begin.

Christopher Bessler :

Unfortunately I must have missed you.

Christopher Bessler :

I am going to put up a couple of suggestions and then change this to a Q&A format so you can come back to it at any time.

Christopher Bessler :

The first thing you need to do is try to print the page from a local source.

Christopher Bessler :

Open the maps web page you are trying to print, and go to File > Save As and save it to your desktop.

Christopher Bessler :

Then try to open it, it will open in your browser, but from your local computer instead of the internet.

Christopher Bessler :

If the map still does not print, let me know.

Christopher Bessler :

I am going to switch this to a Q&A now.

Christopher Bessler :

I will be in touch.

Christopher Bessler, Computer Engineer
Experience: 17 years troubleshooting PC/Server/Printer and network
Expert:  Christopher Bessler replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Chris,

Yes, I had to step away for about an hour. I am back not. Tried your suggestion. System will not let me save that webpage.

Terrie

Well then, this is another symptom of what must be an underlying permissions problem.

Is your account an administrator account on your computer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. Do you suppose it could have something to do with the NVIDIA card . . . multiple probs were solved when I uninstalled the Win7 drivers and went back to the "original" NVIDIA drivers???
Highly unlikely. The video card and its drivers have nothing to do with printing. I am concerned that you do not even have the ability to SAVE the web page.

Can you try saving a different web page? See if you have the same problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
<p>Does not look like I can save anything.</p><p>Chris - went back to the control panel to make sure I was logged in as the administrator - I am. </p>
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
O.K. Went to webpage, highlighted a section and was able to save that????
Which browser are you using?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
IE8
Let's start with a reset of IE8:

1. Close any Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer windows that are currently open.

2. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.

3. Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.

5. Select the Delete personal settings check box if you would like to remove browsing history, search providers, Accelerators, home pages, and InPrivate Filtering data.

6. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.

7. When Internet Explorer finishes applying default settings, click Close, and then click OK.

8. Close Internet Explorer.

9. Reboot.
Let me know...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

O.K. I'll give it a whirl.

OK. Let me know if it does not have any effect.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Worked great. Thanks so much. You are done with me. Just out of curiosity, what was the issue?

The issue had to be a trust setting, or a download permissions issue.

In order to print maps, the browser has to be able to download the picture data. If it cannot, the prints fail. Since you were not able to download anything, rather than poke around looking for the permissions, it was easier to start with a clean slate.

I am glad that it worked out!