Ms Techie
Ms Techie, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology, 3 + Years of Experience in Software Industry

error message 0x80042109 I cant send e-mail from outloo

Customer Question

error message 0x80042109 I can't send e-mail from outlook
Category: Computer
Expert:  Ms Techie replied 6 years ago.
Hello There!

Welcome Here, I am Aarchie a Just Answer Computer Expert will be assisting you to solve your issue right now.

Please do tell me which internet and email service are you using?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I use cable internet from Suddenlink and Internet Explorer as my browser. My e-mil server is I use outlook on my home and work computers and both access the same server/e-mail address. I use Zoomtext magnifier/speech software to function on the computer. I am visually impaired and Zoomtext will read my e-mails to me if I use Outlook.

Expert:  Ms Techie replied 6 years ago.
one last question, so your email client is from Suddenlink?
And what is your operating system?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

E-mail client is Officite/Doctor Portal

My Operating System is Windows XP

Expert:  Ms Techie replied 6 years ago.
The most common causes of these error messages are problems with Internet connectivity and account settings configured incorrectly in Outlook or Outlook Express. First, verify that you are connected to the Internet. To do this, go to method 1.

Method 1: Verify that you are connected to the Internet

loadTOCNode(3, 'resolution'); To verify that you can connect to the Internet and that your mail server was not temporarily unavailable, follow these steps:
  1. Start an Internet browser, such as Internet Explorer.
  2. Type one of the following addresses in the address bar.
    If you continue to experience network connectivity problems when you type one of these addresses in the Address bar, view the following article for more information about how to troubleshoot Internet connectivity problems:If you successfully connected to the Internet, go to step 3.
  3. Send yourself a test e-mail to verify that you can send and receive e-mail messages without receiving an error message.
  4. If your test was successful, you are finished. If you still receive an error message, go to method 2 to verify your account settings.

Method 2: Verify your account settings

loadTOCNode(3, 'resolution'); Follow these steps to create a new e-mail profile in Outlook 2007 and in Outlook 2003:
  1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. Copy and paste (or type) the following command in the Open box and then press ENTER: control panel
  3. If you are in Classic View, double-click Mail. The Mail Setup dialog box opens. Go to step 5.
  4. If you are in Category View, under Control Panel, click Switch to Classic View, and then double-click Mail. The Mail Setup dialog box opens.
  5. In the Mail Setup dialog box, click Show Profiles.
  6. On the General tab, under When starting Microsoft Office Outlook, use this profile, click Prompt for a profile to be used, and then click Add.
  7. In the Profile Name box, type the name that you want to use for the new e-mail profile, and then click OK.
  8. In the E-mail Accounts dialog box, click Add a new e-mail account, and then click Next.
  9. Click the appropriate server type for your new e-mail account, and then click Next.
  10. Type your account information in the required boxes, and then click Next.
  11. Click Finish, and then click OK.
    Note By default, both the Outlook Address Book and the personal folders (.pst) files are automatically added to each new e-mail profile, except for those e-mail profiles that are created in Microsoft Exchange Server. By default, .pst files are not added to each new e-mail profile in Exchange Server.
just try and get back to me with the results.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear Aarchie,

I followed the steps you outlined. I still can't get Outlook to send e-mail. Officite /Doctor portal uses Zimbra as its web client. I don't know what to try next.

Thanks for helping me. I hope you can figure it out.

Expert:  Ms Techie replied 6 years ago.

Method 1: Start Outlook in safe mode

loadTOCNode(3, 'resolution'); To start Outlook in safe mode:

Windows Vista
  1. Click Start.
  2. Type outlook.exe /safe in the Start Search box.
  3. Press Enter.
Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, or Windows 2000
  1. Click Start.
  2. Click Run.
  3. Type outlook.exe /safe.
  4. Click OK.
Starting Outlook in safe mode starts Outlook without add-ins, the preview pane, or toolbar customizations and could indicate a damaged profile or conflicting third-party application or add-in. See method 2 to create a new e-mail profile. To obtain help in identifying a conflicting application or add-in, you may want to contact Support.

Method 2: Create a new e-mail profile

loadTOCNode(3, 'resolution'); You may be able to resolve these problems by creating a new e-mail profile. For more information about how to create profiles in Outlook, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
829918 ( ) How to create a new e-mail profile in Outlook 2007 and in Outlook 2003
287072 ( ) How to create a new e-mail profile for Outlook 2002
195718 ( ) How to create a new e-mail profile in Outlook 2000

Method 3: Delete suspicious messages from your mailbox

loadTOCNode(3, 'resolution'); If there is a damaged message in your mailbox, you can resolve this by doing one of the following:
  • Contact your ISP and ask them to delete any suspicious e-mail.
  • Delete any suspicious e-mail by accessing your mailbox by using your ISP's Web-based e-mail program.

Method 4: Check your antivirus vendor's Web site for additional suggestions

loadTOCNode(3, 'resolution'); If your antivirus solution includes an e-mail scanning feature, you may have to perform additional configuration tasks to use Outlook or Outlook Express with the antivirus e-mail scanning feature.

Antivirus software that is known to have caused this problem includes products by the following vendors:
  • Symantec (Norton)
  • McAfee
  • Trend Micro (PC-cillin)
  • Panda
For more information, visit one of the following Web sites for your antivirus software:

Symantec: (
For more information on How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in : ( McAfee: (
Trend Micro: (

Please do let me know if it work out. Good Luck
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear Aarchie,

I was out of town for two days. I am still trying to resolve the problem. I have run the Mcafee problem finder and it found 5 things to fix. Unfortunatlely, the problem was still there of not being able to send e-mail from Outlook. So I uninstalled sll the McAfee products from my computer and I have not put any other virus or internet protection on my computer yet to replace it. But I still can't e-mail from Outlook. What now?