tbwhite2040
tbwhite2040, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years Computer Support Specialist County School System, 3+ years Networking Specialist
35117564

HOW DO I CONNECT TO MY WIRELESS PRINTER MFC-440CN, BROTHER

Customer Question

HOW DO I CONNECT TO MY WIRELESS PRINTER MFC-440CN, BROTHER TO MY WIRELESS
LAPTOP COMPUTER ?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Baisil replied 6 years ago.

Hi

Which operating system are you using on your laptop..??

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I AM USING A SONY VAOI LAPTOP COMPUTER WITH XP WINDOWS 7.

MY ORINTER IS BROTHER 3 IN 1 PRINTER/FAX/COPIER MFC-400CN

......BD-2963.

I HAVE A 2WIRE 170 WIRELESS CARD. MY LAPTOP IS CONNECTED WIRELESSLY

TO ATT-UVERSE DSL/

THANKS,

NANCY

Expert:  Baisil replied 6 years ago.

I checked and this printer is not in itself a wireless device. This means you will need some sort of "wireless router" to plug the printer into.

Go to your favorite electronics store and get a decent wireless router. Linksys is a good brand and reasonably priced. You'll also need a small section of network cable to plug into your printer and into the wireless router.

Once you have this set up, you'll be able to take your laptop or other wireless device and "see" the printer on the wireless network.

Please don't forget to click ACCEPT so i can be get paid for my work..

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I wil try your suggeston and let you know.

However, my BROTHER MFC-440CN HAD ALREADY BEEN CONNECTED WTHOUT

ANY WIRES CONNECTED. MY MANUEL SAYS THAT IT HAS A WRELESS CAPABLITY. WHEN THE ATT SERVCE MAN CAME OUT TO CONNECT ONE OF MY EXTRA TV'S TO THE UVERSE TV, HE PRESSED THE RESET BUTTON OM THE MAIN ATT MODEM. WHEN EVERYTHNG WAS RESTARTED. WAS UNABLE TO PRINT WIRELESSLY AS DID BEFRE THE RESET. A TECH FROM FRIES ELECTRONICSN HAD

ORIGNALLY CONNECTED IT WIRELESSLY. THEN ON THE ORIGIINAL ATT

UVERSE INSTALLATION, I HAD THE ATT TECH CONNECT IT AGAIN. AND HE CALLED NTO

ANOTHER DEPT., AND CONNECTED MY PRNTER WIRELESSLY.

I HAVE CALLED ATT BY PHONE TECH AND NO ONE KNEW HOW TO RECONNECT IT, SO I CONTACTED "JUST ANSWERS.

I AM NOT SATIFIED WITH THE ANSWER COMPLETELY YET, AS IT CAN BE DONE,.

I JUST DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO IT,

THANKS,

NANCY

Expert:  tbwhite2040 replied 6 years ago.

The problem is when the ATT guy reset the modem, your printer's IP got changed because it is set up for DHCP. What you need to do is create a static IP on your ATT modem and use it just for printers. Once you do this, then set your printer up for a static IP also and set it for the IP address you set aside for the printer in the ATT Modem.

Once both the ATT modem and the Printer has been set to use static IP addresses, then you can go in on your computer and configure the computer to use the static IP address in the Ports tab.

The reason to use static IP instead of letting DHCP configure it is static IP's set aside never change no matter how many times the computer or printer gets cut off. On DHCP after 1 or 2 days the IP address releases and then renews so the next time you go to print it will have a different IP address and will not communicate with the printer.

You will need to contact the ATT techs to set this up on our Modem and get them to list the IP addresses they set aside for static .

Experience: 8 years Computer Support Specialist County School System, 3+ years Networking Specialist