Tom K
Tom K, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  BS in IT from University of Massachusetts Lowell, 10+ years working on computer related problems
38490348

I have a logitech wireless keyboard and Im trying to use symbols

I have a logitech wireless keyboard and I'm trying to use symbols in facebook, like hearts, notes, etc. Everyone else says to press and hold alt, then press a number, then release, but this does not work for me.
For example, for a heart I'[m supposed to press alt, then 3, then release. But all I get is a question mark. How can I access these symbols on my keyboard?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Tom K replied 4 years ago.

You need to use the Numpad number keys, not the number keys on the top of the keyboard to create the special characters by holding down alt.

Here is a list of Alt key symbols:

ALT + 1 = ?
ALT + 2 = ?
ALT + 3 = ♥
ALT + 4 = ♦
ALT + 5 = ♣
ALT + 6 = ♠
ALT + 7 = •
ALT + 8 = ?
ALT + 9 = ?

ALT + 14 = ? Musical Note
ALT + 15 = ¤ Sunshine Symbol
ALT + 0169 = © Copyright Symbol
ALT + 0153 = TM Trademark Symbol
ALT + 0174 = ® Registered Symbol

Remember, to use the number keys on the right of the keyboard, not the keys at the top.

I am required to post this as an answer, but please only click on Accept Answer if this allows you to type the special characters. Otherwise, please do not click on Accept Answer and post back here so we can find a better solution.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tom, That is not the solution for me because I was using the numbers on the right.
Expert:  Tom K replied 4 years ago.
Have you checked that the Num Lock key has been pressed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where is it?
Expert:  Tom K replied 4 years ago.

if you are looking at the number keys on the right of the keyboard, at the top left of that section there should be a Num Lock key. Press the key and a little ways above it a small light should turn on signifying Num Lock is in effect.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I see a button that looks like it has a little calculator symbol on it (no light) I also see a PC button. When I pressed that before the computer went on standby and I had to turn it off to get back here.
Expert:  Tom K replied 4 years ago.

Is it possible for you to tell me the exact model Logitech Wireless keyboard this is? There should be something on the back of the keyboard with this info.

I need to view the keyboard layout to see how we can set you up to access the Numpad keys.

Edited by Tom K on 6/29/2010 at 3:23 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
MX5500
Expert:  Tom K replied 4 years ago.

Ok from what I have been able to research, your keyboard does not have a traditional Numpad setup, which is why you are not able to type the special characters by pressing down Alt then one of the number keys.

The number keys on your keyboard just relay to the same number keys at the top of the keyboard, which are not able to type the special characters. This is simply just a limitation in the keyboard that Logitech has made.

You will only be able to type the special characters by using a keyboard that has a Numlock key available on the Numpad.

However not all hope is lost. If you click on Start, then All Programs, then Accessories, then System Tools, then Character Map, you can use the character map to look up special character keys, click on them then press the select button then copy to copy the characters and you can paste them into where ever you want.

You can use the Advanced View option to search for certain special characters by name. In specfic the special characters you seem to be looking for are just a little ways up from the bottom of the Character Map window if you scroll to the bottom first.

I am required to post this as an answer, but please only click on Accept Answer if this sufficiently answers your question and you will leave positive feedback. Otherwise, if you will leave negative or neutral feedback please do not click on Accept Answer and post back here so we can find a better solution.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tom, Thank you for your time. I guess I need a new keyboard. The symbols you told me about aren't really the same and difficult to access....so this wasn't really a solution for me.
Expert:  Tom K replied 4 years ago.
The symbols you are looking for are in the character map. If you scroll to the bottom of the character map, then scroll up just a bit the characters you are looking for are there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Tom. I did get it to work. ...it is a lot of work that way though. Embarassed not your fault.
Expert:  Tom K replied 4 years ago.

Sorry that there is not an easier method, but its unfortunate that Logitech would design and sell a keyboard that lacks the full usage of the Numpad.

Regardless, you can click on Accept Answer now to close this question if you are pleased with my help and will leave positive feedback. If you were to leave negative or neutral feedback, please do not click on Accept Answer.

Tom K, Information Systems Manager
Experience: BS in IT from University of Massachusetts Lowell, 10+ years working on computer related problems
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did click accept answer once....did you get it?
Expert:  Tom K replied 4 years ago.
It has not gone through yet, try clicking on it again. You won't be billed multiple times by pressing Accept Answer.