Adam Wright
Adam Wright, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MCP, MCSA, iNet+, Net+, A+

I have an Hp Pavillion Media Center m8000 PC. The motherboard

Customer Question

I have an Hp Pavillion Media Center m8000 PC. The motherboard went out, and I had it replaced by a friend. When it was returned, he said the dvd rom was not working. I opened it up, and it was not plugged up. I found the power end that plugs into the dvd, but there is a board in front of the dvd, and I am not sure if the small P8 plugs into this board.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sibu replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer

Please follow the steps in the below link

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00612693&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=nz&lang=en&product=3385414

Regards

Sibu
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This part of the video I already figured out. I plugged the large P3 power plug into the back of the dvd player. The problem is, there is a circuit board on the back of this player, and I am not sure if the small P8 power plug should be plugged into this board.
Expert:  Sibu replied 4 years ago.
Attach the power and flat ribbon cables to the rear of the drive.

only one power cable and another IDE / SATA cable
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Believe it or not, this thing does not have a place to plug in an IDE/Sata cable.
Expert:  Sibu replied 4 years ago.
Strange it must be there

two cable necessary

1 > colored power cable
2>IDE/SATA data cable from mother board to DVD drive

the cable might have been lost
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My DVD R/W has a black power cable and a red (I assume) IDE/Sata cable that connects to the motherboard. There is no place to plug an IDE/Sata cable into this thing. That is why I am wondering if the P8 plugs into the circuitboard on the back of the DVD Rom. I just took it out. It is a Toshiba SD-H802A.
Expert:  Sibu replied 4 years ago.
First connect IDE cable

then connect power cable

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This looks nothing like the back of my dvd rom. I have no ide/sata cables like the old grey with the red stripe down the side attached to my computer. Mine are about a quarter of an inch wide and red in color. I have already plugged the power cable into the dvd rom. The part that you are not getting, is that there is a circuit board attached to the back of this dvd rom. I am figuring that the ide plugs into this, and also the p8 power cable, but I am afraid of trying this until I have confirmation that this is the correct procedure. I can find no installation video or pictures on this dvd rom.
Expert:  Sibu replied 4 years ago.
But Toshiba SD-H802A is a IDE

so there has to be a 40 Pin IDE connector like gray cable
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know you think I'm crazy... Is there some way I can email you pictures? It will take a while, I have to put the HP back together because this computer does not have a media reader.
Expert:  Sibu replied 4 years ago.
OKAY

You can attach the photo here

just click the small green color Insert image wherer you are replying
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
graphicgraphic
Expert:  Sibu replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for ur info

That is a strange type circuit board connected over the IDE port

OK

There is a white color port on left of that circuit

in the first picture

look for any cable fit into it
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, the ATA cable will plug in, but there is still the problem of the power connector in the topgraphic right hand corner of the board .
Expert:  Sibu replied 4 years ago.
No just connect power cord to

graphic

left 4 pin socket
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Power cable doies not fit-ATA cable fits in this slot.

Expert:  Sibu replied 4 years ago.

there must be 4 pin power cable
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is a place for large 4 pin power cable on the main box at the top of one of the first pictures that I sent you, but there is also a place for a small 4 pin power cable on the board.

Expert:  Sibu replied 4 years ago.
No only one power cable is requird

You can connect large cord if you have in 1st picture
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Tech really tried hard to help me, but he admitted that he had never seen a circuit board on the back of a dvd like mine. He seemed to be guessing, and I need someone that is familiar with this dvd rom. .
Tech really tried hard to help me, but he admitted that he had never seen a circuit board on the back of a dvd like mine. He seemed to be guessing, and I need someone that is familiar with this dvd rom.
Expert:  Adam Wright replied 4 years ago.
The picture you have posted is an adapter to convert IDE to SATA. Plug the power cable into the back of the DVD drive as usual into the black 4 pin port. The adapter has a place to plug the SATA cable into. It is the port on the lower left hand side in the picture.
If your motherboard has IDE ports, You can also remove the screw located at the bottom of the adapter and simply use an IDE cable since the drive is actually an IDE drive.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, So I do not need to plug the small power cable into the adapter on the dvd rom? Only the ATA cable?
Yes, Plug the SATA cable into the port on the left. I am thinking that you may not be able to plug the power cable into the original port on the DVD drive, so the port on the lower right would possibly accommodate one of the smaller (think floppy drive) power cables.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
See, that's the problem I am having. The big original power cable will plug into the original port on the dvd, and the Sata cable plugs into where you say it will on the adapter, but a small p8 power cable will fit into the slot across from the Sata connector on the adapter. The dilema is, the small p8 power cable looks like it may have been used, but I can not see why you would need two power supplies unless the small one is for the adapter.
Just use the smaller one and connect it to the adapter. Don't use the larger one.
Experience: MCP, MCSA, iNet+, Net+, A+
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, Adam. I will try that and contact you later. I am using the HP and I will have to shut down to put it back together.Kiss
Okay, just let me know if you need further assistance. If not, Then I would like to

Thank you for allowing me to assist you today. If you feel that my assistance was helpful, Please click ACCEPT, As that is the only way that I am compensated for my time and effort. If you feel that it was exceptional, feel free to add a bonus. Thank you and God Bless You.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Believe it or not, both the original and adapter power plugs have to be plugged in! Finally got it fixed. Thank you for your help, and God bless you!
Very strange indeed. Would have never though that they would both need to be connected. At any rate, I am glad I was able to at least point you in the right direction. Thank you and God Bless.