tbwhite2040, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years Computer Support Specialist County School System, 3+ years Networking Specialist

How do I reduce data usage when using a MiFi card with a 5GB

How do I reduce data usage when using a MiFi card with a 5GB cap. I have 3 children taking a online class which requires attending a 1 hour class session per week via the internet. I don't know if this is considered streaming because I am worried about the 5GB cap.We live well outside the city limits and this is the only way to get broadband access.I like to know ways to reduce our data usage. I'm using FireFox as a browser.
Category: Computer
Expert:  tbwhite2040 replied 6 years ago.

I am also using my cell phone as a modem to connect to the internet. It is called teathering.

Some ways to make sure you do not lose much of your 5G cap is to make sure no video downloads and music are downloaded or streamed live. Make sure the wi-fi is disconnected after each session. Do not let it sit idle still connected to the internet.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are the class sessions considered streaming? The students log on and watch the comuter screen of the teacher while she is talking. They respond either by text or video is sent from our end.Also, I have three kids, all with there own computer, will that count 3 times the data usage?

The class sessions should be fine but if all three children will be sharing the 5GB limit. then it will be used up quickly depending if they watch or download anything of major size.

What I done for myself and my children was to buy them smartphones with the teathering option which gives them 5GB each per month but it costs more each month to have this option. That way each one has their own 5GB limit per month.

This is just a suggestion.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
You should have enough Gigabyte space available for all three children to take their class online once each week.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, but are there any ways to cut down on the data tranfer? Is there a way to cut out pictures that download when I look at a website etc. Can I grab emails and look at them offline? There has to be a number of things I can do.I'm using FireFox.

Yes you can block pictures from downloading by disabling the ActiveX control for your internet connections. You can do this by going to the control panel and opening Internet Options and Advanced Tab to show all the options for Active X controls.

Also when your emails have come into your mailbox, you can disconnect and view the files offline but you will not be able to send emails unless the connection is connected to the internet

You can also put a disk quota on the hard drive for each user which will allow them to download and save so much data to the hard drive.