Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

my toshiba laptop will not start. It says - No bootable device

Customer Question

my toshiba laptop will not start. It says - No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

but I don't have a boot disk that I know of
Category: Computer
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
That error means its having difficult finding your operating system (Windows). Possible hard drive failure, possibly just the OS being corrupt.

If you don't have a Windows 7 disc to reinstall, you may be forced to do a restore. Keep in mind that a restore will wipe out all your personal files on the computer though.

If you're ok with that, I can help you find the restore partition on the drive if the drive is functionaly. (which is what is likely where the restore info is if you didn't get a restore CD with it).

Also, what's the model # XXXXX your laptop.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have no problem doing a complete restore.

Model Number is XXXXX

Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Alright, before I post directions, understand that if your hard drive is defective, even a system restore will not work. And without the restore disc's (which you can "conveniently" be ordered form Toshiba) you won't be able to restore the machine even if you replace the hard drive as the restore disc is necessary to do this as well.

But, on a bright note, the restore disc's are pretty cheap, and hard drives can be installed by the user fairly easily. Better than paying a technician 200+ $'s.

Let's make sure the drive is even functional though. I don't have a toshiba laptop onsite at the moment so you'll have to be my eyes.

When the machine first boots up at the initial splash screen. In the upper right you should see boot options, one of them being setup. It'll likely be F2 or something. Hit whatever key it is to enter your bios/system. Check in there for hard drive devices and confirm that one is present. Also, before exiting this menu. Go to the last page of the bios screen and look for "Reset to defaults", save on exit. If you get stuck anywhere, let me know. I need to be sure the drive is even being detected.

Confirm this and we'll continue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When I turn on the computer it opens in a "DOS" like screen and says:

"Windows Error Recovery

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

If windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, startup repair can help diagnose and fix the problem. If power was interupted during startup, choose start windows normally."

The options are:

"Launch Startup Repair (recommended)

Start Windows Normally"

Then it says:

"Description: Fix problems that are preventing windows from starting"

When I choose "Launch Startup Repair" the screen turns grey for a long time and then gives the message that I originally put in my question (about the boot disc)

So I don't see an option to press f2 or any boot or setup options.

I tried pressing F2 repeatedly upon start-up, but nothing happened. I was able to press f8 and tried to select "last successful configuration" or something like that, but the screen just went grey and nothing happened for so long that I got tired of waiting - that was just now also.

So now what?

Description: Fix problems that are preventing windows from starting

Expert:  Mike6708 replied 4 years ago.

Can you give me the model # XXXXX your Toshiba?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Model No: L505 GS50 35

Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Sorry about that. The key to get in the bios is F9 I believe for this model. Give that a shot and it should get you into the system bios. You'll hit the key immediately when you see the first splash screen when booting your machine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When I press F9 at startup, the screen jumps quickly to the same screen as before (only faster):

"Windows Error Recovery

The options are:

"Launch Startup Repair (recommended)

Start Windows Normally"

Then it says:

Is there another key to try in order to get to the System Bios?

Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
It'd be nice if they all used a standard. Its ok though we'll just continue. We'll know soon enough if the drive has a recovery partition.

Where you get to the startup repair, you should have other options available to you (such as extended boot options).

Got the manual for your laptop now which should help.

We'll do this step by step together.

First step, power down the laptop. Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your laptop, then turn it on. Continue holding the zero key.

You'll see one or two things. The choices of your operating system (32-bit or 64-bit). Select one to restore, hit enter to start the wizard.

Or a giant red warning menu. If you get the warning window just click ok/accept.

I'll stop there, tell me if you were able to get the recovery wizard started.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay,

I pressed the zero key and restarted. The screen now says exactly this:

"Windows Boot Manager

Choose an operatin systerm to start, or press TAB to select a tool:

(Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice, then press ENTER)

Windows Setup [EMS enabled]

To specify an advanced option for htis choice, press F8

Tools:

Windows Memory Diagnostic"

There are no operating systems to choose from. The words "Windows Setup [EMS Enabled]" are highlighted as the only option

Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
No problem. That's usually what comes up when windows is first installed.

Click F8 and please read off your choices to me.
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Also for your reference, though it appears to be inaccurate anyway. Here's the manual for your laptop.

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/manuals/userguides/su2342557/GMAD00201012_SatL500_Rev_09Jun10.pdf

As I'm sure since your system didn't come with a recovery CD it probably didn't come with the manual.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Nothing happened when I pressed F8 so then I pressed it a few more times and got this:

"Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."

3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your sistem administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

Status: 0xc000000f

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible."

So then I powered off and pressed F8 on startup as I had done before to see if I could access that F8menu again.

This time the computer said briefly,

"Windows is loading files..." across the bottom of the screen and then it went gray again. So it is still gray.

Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Interesting. I'm leaning towards your drive failing. What happens with the windows loading files? Does it just sit there forever? Does it seem like the laptop is working/loading (the activity light will be blinking like crazy)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is just sitting with a gray screen. The activity light is not blinking at all.

Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Alright.

I'm running out of time and ideas here. So i'm going to opt out and perhaps another expert may have some ideas. I'm still leaning toward the hard drive going out but that is not an answer that fixes you right now.

I will check back tomorrow to see if any progress was made. The steps we taken should save the next person some time hopefully. Its unfortunate that system's don't come with recovery cd's all that often.