Erik B.
Erik B., Computer Support
Experience:  MCSE, MCP
18224842

My PC says no connections are available for my WI-FI; howeve

Customer Question

My PC says no connections are available for my WI-FI; however, my laptop adjacent to it is connected
Category: Computer
Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.

Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Can you please tell me which model of Dell you have? Most likely the hardware switch if off. If you give your model number I can tell you exactly where the switch is.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dell Studio 540---now on a LAN wire
Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.

Ah so you have a desktop not a laptop. OK the hardware switch is not the problem then. Can you do the following for me?

1. Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press R to bring up the Run window.
  2. Type ncpa.cpl and click OK.
  3. Right click the Wireless Network Connection. Do you see Enable or Disable in the menu?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I show 2 wireless network connections: a) the PCI card & 2) the Microsoft virtual Wifi miniport adapter. Both showc as 'not connected'.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.
OK and if you right click the PCI card, do you see Enable or Disable as the choice?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is a Connect/Disconnect choice, but no enable/disable.

BTW I am using a Sabrent 802.11. PCI adapter & because its 3rd party, Dell would not provide support. However the tech support rep @ the higher level suggested it was a Windows problem & not the adapter.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the additional info. OK what model of router do you have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's a D-Link DIR-628
Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.
OK can you look on the sticker on the bottom of the D-Link and tell me if you see a version letter or number listed next to the model number?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
None there. BTW, I'm having internet problems, that's the reason for the delay. I wish there were a way to do this via telephone---I'm at XXX-XXX-XXXX. At least thats working!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Erik---I'm going back to the PC with the problem. It has no E -mail capability. Strictly for business/office use. (Internet but no E-mail required.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.

I understand and sometime I wish phone contact was possible as well as this can get tedious! Unfortunately JA does not allow telephone support.

Please do the following to ensure that the wireless network is visible:

1. Open an Internet browser and go to http://192.168.0.1/.
  2. Login using the username admin and the password admin.
  3. Click on Setup near the top.
  4. Click on Wireless Settings on the left.
  5. Click the Manual WIreless Setup button near the bottom.
  6. Make sure that the visibility status is set to VIsible and click Save Settings.

After doing that check to see if the network appears in your list. If it still doesn't, please try updating the firmware on the router using the steps below:

• 1. Download the latest firmware for your D-Link from here: ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir628/Firmware/dir628_fw_124NA.zip
  • 2. Choose to save the file and after the download, right click the file and choose Extract all.
  • 3. Open an Internet browser and go to http://192.168.0.1/.
  • 4. Login with the username admin and the password admin (if that doesn't work try the password password).
  • 5. Click on Tools along the top.
  • 6. Click on Firmware on the left.
  • 7. Click on the Browse button and browse to where you download and extracted the file in steps 1-2.
  • 8. Double click the file to return to the D-Link interface and then click the Upload button
  • 9. Wait for the firmware update to complete and then see if the problem is resolved.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Erik---I already did that before I contacted JA. I was already using the latest firmware.When I disconnected the LAN from the problem PC a few minutes ago it srill showed 'no connections available'.---nothing to connect to. My laptop (Windows XP) right near the PC (Windows 7) still had a strong wireless connection. My gut tells mwe that something in Win 7 is 'blocking' the available connectoin signal because the laptop is connected to my workgroup with 5 bars & the signal is strong only 3 feet away from the PC. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Erik B. replied 4 years ago.
No I am out of ideas but somebody else probably has one. I will opt out so they can answer. Sorry I wasn't more help!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it a good shot! Anyone there with extensive/strong Win 7 expertise. Microsoft wouldn't help because it was an OEM OS (no surprise there).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK gang, here's the latest: I deleted all the wireless settings/connections, then uninstalled the PCI adapter card. Rebooted, & reinstalled the card, validated all the settings/connections; rebooted & viola! Its working! Connected to my SSID, entered the encryption key & all is now well. Thanks for your time & effort. Over and Out. Art Weiner