LAMicrosoftPro
LAMicrosoftPro, Database Administrator
Experience:  25 years working as a consultant with Microsoft technologies. SharePoint is my main expertise
39072822

I am trying to use Microsoft Works calendar on my new computer.

I am trying to use Microsoft Works calendar on my new computer. When I try to open it the message I get is "Works cannot access one or more files it needs to run the calendar. The file may have been renamed, deleted or moved. Try installing Works, and then starting the program again. When I try installing Works from the disk provided, a window pops up saying " Do you want to allow the folling program to make changes to this computer, I click Yes, and nothing happens
To resolve this issue if the Mswkscal.wcd file is corrupted, follow these steps:
  1. Insert the Works CD, and then press SHIFT to prevent the Setup program from starting.

Note If the Setup program starts, exit the Setup program.
  2. On the desktop, double-click My Computer.
  3. Locate the Mswkscal.wcd file on the Works CD.

The following is the default location of the Mswkscal.wcd file on the Works CD: drive:\MSWorks\Common\CommApp\mswkscal.wcd In this example, drive is the drive letter of the CD drive.
  4. Select the Mswkscal.wcd file, and then press CTRL+C to copy the file to the Clipboard.
  5. Locate the Mswkscal.wcd file on the hard disk drive.

Depending on the operating system that you are using, the default location of the Mswkscal.wcd file on the hard disk drive is in one of the following locations:
    • C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Works\mswkscal.wcd
    • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\mswkscal.wcd
    You can also search for the file. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files Or Folders. On Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 2000, and Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition, click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files Or Folders.
    2. In the Named box, type mswkscal.wcd, and then click Find Now. On Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows Millennium Edition, type mswkscal.wcd in the Search for files or folders named box, and then click Search Now.
  6. When you locate the Mswkscal.wcd file on the hard disk drive, select the file, and then press CTRL+V to replace the file by using the version that you copied from the Works CD.

Note When you are prompted with the question, "Are sure that you want to over-write the file", click Yes.
  7. Make sure that the new version of the Mswkscal.wcd file is not read-only. Use Microsoft Windows Explorer to locate the file, right-click the file, click Properties, and then click to clear the Read-only check box.