Colin Vincent
Colin Vincent, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  City of Guilds 224, Kyocera, IBM, Novell certifications. 24 years IT experience.
29964247

acer aspire 5536/5526 pxe-e61 media test failure check cable

acer aspire 5536/5526 pxe-e61 media test failure check cable operating system not found....what can i do to get laptop started ?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Colin Vincent replied 4 years ago.

Hi there

Can you tell me any background to this issue starting.

Did it just happen on switch on having shutdown fine or something else.

thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes it suddenly happened. the first time, it let my daughter reboot and it worked ok but 2nd attempt it wont, message also says broadcom base code pxe 2-1 ver 1.1.0 then operating system not found in addition to earlier message

Ok

Just to give you a bit of background.

A computer has a boot order for drives which it runs through looking for an operating system.

That boot order would usually be

1. hard disk

2. Cd/dvd

3. Network card.

The message you are getting means that the computer is unable to find an operating system on either 1 or 2 so has tried the network card also (Broadcom) and having failed there it gives the Operating system not found error.

Given that the computer shut down normally last time it was used then it is unlikely to be that the Windows operating system is physically missing from the drive which suggests the hard drive itself has a hardware issue and could not start.

If you have a recovery cd for the computer you can use it to see if it can detect and repair the hard drive but unfortunately i think the odds are that the drive has failed.

The good news is they are now not an expensive item to buy and are easy to replace. if you have a recovery cd that will then re install the operating system for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, unfortunately i do not have a recovery disk so was looking for a more detailed answer such as where to download one from that will do the job etc

Sure

There are no free Recovery software downloads available that are from a safe source that i would recommend. File sharing sites are often a haven for viruses etc.

Acer will sell you a cd or there are third party companies that will also do the same or offer it as a download for a fee.

The download will be supplied as an image file that will need to be burnt onto a cd/dvd.

You will still need a license number for Windows when you re install which should be on the computer( Usually the underside) so make sure the recovery option you pick matches the version of Windows you have a license number for.

A suitable download site for a recovery cd would be such as the one in the link below.

http://restore-disk.com/restore/acer/aspireacer/acer-aspire-5536-recovery-cd-download.html

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is the data on the HDD likely to be lost if i use a rescue disk from sources u suggest ?

Yes

They will just recover the disk to as Factory state and don't make any consideration for existing data.

Assuming the hard disk is still mechanically working the best option to save data is to put the hard drive into a usb caddy.

These can be purchased at most computer retailers very cheaply.

Your hard drive plugs inside the caddy and can then be connected to the usb port of another computer.

It then just gets detected as an extra drive much like a memory stick etc and any data can be copied from the disk.

As an example see the amazon link below.

http://www.amazon.com/SATA-Hard-Drive-Case-Enclosure/dp/B001AAVA08/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275950684&sr=8-3

Experience: City of Guilds 224, Kyocera, IBM, Novell certifications. 24 years IT experience.