Renju
Renju, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  I have more than 5 years of experience in computer industry
34784004

I have Windows Vista with Windows Media Player 11. I downloaded

I have Windows Vista with Windows Media Player 11. I downloaded a few MP3 songs from Amazon.com. Amazon downloaded the songs, but songs can't show up on the player due to file and codec problems. Please help ASAP. Thanks SUzee
Category: Computer
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
What is the exact message when you try to play those files?
Make sure the extension of those files are .mp3 .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

"the selected file has an extension (.zip) that is not recognized by Windows Media Player, but the Player may still be able to play it. Because the extension is unknown by the player, you should be sure that the file comes from a trustworthy place......"

Also....

"Windows Media player cannot play the file. The player might not support the file type or not support the codec that was used to compress the file......"

SOS!!!

Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
OK.
A Zip file is sometimes called an "archive" file. The Zip file itself is really just a container... it holds the real files inside it. The purpose behind the Zip file is transportation and storage. The Zip file acts like a ziploc sandwich bag - it holds contents inside for easy transporting and storage. This makes Zip files (and their counterpart Rar files) very valuable to file sharers and downloaders.

If you can see the downloaded file you can see the files is in .zip extension. What you need to do is Un-zip the zip file.

To unzip the downloaded file , right click on it and select Extract files. Then you can see the .mp3 files. Double click on any item to play the music.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Where do I "unzip" the downloaded file? And where do I find "extract files" I thought I set up as a default "MP3" for all my music downloads in the "Rip" tab. THanks.

Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Do you know where the downloaded files are ?
How did you download the music? Using a browser or directly from Media player ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I dowloaded all Amazon MP3 songs to the player. The player is my "default" for all my music. The files aren't found anywhere. But Amazon claims it had downloaded and if I download again from Amazon, I will be charged 2x for the song/album.
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
No need to download it again. Those files are there in your computer somewhere. If you know the name of the file that you downloaded you can use the search option on top of all the folders to find out the downloaded zip file.

You search in your drives or Music folder that you can access clicking Start -> Music .As you downloaded the music from Amazon the folder name can be Amazon or Amazon music or "Amazon MP3". Find out that folder and unzip the file as I mentioned.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I believe the files downloaded from Amazon.com MP3 to my C:\Users\Owner\Music\AmazonMP3\......Does this help?
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Yes Great. Go to that folder and tell me what is there in that folder ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I click on "Music" and then click on folder under Music, Amazon MP3. I search for the downloaded songs to no avail. This songs prerviously downloaded are unable to be found as a playable file(s).
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Are you saying that AmazonMP# XXXXX was empty ? Go in to that folder and recheck .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

After further research, I found the Amazon MP3 songs via open file and look at "properties" I found that the file type is listed as AmazonMP3 XXXXXXXXXX amz when it should auto to file type the universal MP3. The all open as Windows Media player. How do I change the invalid file type?

No, the Amazon folder is NOT empty, the most recent songs downloaded do not show up under the Amazon folder.

Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Refer this link
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200154210&

to sole your issue with .amz

Please refer below links also.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6085305_windows-support-_amz-mp3-format.html

It will help you in future downloads.

http://askville.amazon.com/dowloaded-mp3-file-Amazon-ended-amz-change/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=7505198

Use the amazone downloader to download the songs always.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I DID refer to those links TO NO AVAIL!!! That is why I'm contacting you. I've also contact Amazon several times, ALSO to no avail.
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Do you have the downloader from Amazon ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
I am running out of ideas, I will opt out. other experts will help you soon.
Expert:  Renju replied 4 years ago.

I will try to assist you in solving this problem.

I believe your problem is that the songs downloaded from Amazon are of .amz type rather than .mp3 file.

Now, I also believe you download music from Amazon using Amazon mp3 downloader application.

Correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

What happens when you try to double click on the .amz file ?
Does it open a Open With window ?
If it does, could you tell me, what are the recommended programs listed under that window ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

First of all, to compound the situation further, I open the Amazon MP3 downloader application and my songs are there. I click on the resume download" tab and receive this message: "one or more of your downloads failed because too much time has passed since the download started. Click Get Help tab for more info to help you continue"

To answer you question, when I double-click the .amz file, I receive this message: "Windows Media Player cannot play files. The player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

Expert:  Renju replied 4 years ago.

I believe the problems is with your amz files. The Amazon mp3 downloader would not have been able to download it completely.So, the files are corrupt.
Since the files are incomplete, the Windows Media Player cant recognize the format and cant play the file. Usually, the finished AMZ files can be easily played with Windows Media player.

Note: Another point to note is that songs downloaded from Amazon will not change to .mp3 format. It will remain as .amz files , but can be played with any players that can play mp3 files. to learn more about .amz files , click here

You may download VLC from here. and see if its able to play the amz files

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

A thought came to me and you should know that a few days ago, I rec'd an error message telling me my HP recovery disk was full and informed me to delete all unwated files, etc. which I did to no avail. THen, after further research via google, I discovered that I had too much "shadow storage" in the disc so I went to resolve the issue. The disc is fine and its not full. Could this have affected my amazon and window media download files?

Expert:  Renju replied 4 years ago.

It could very well have.

Were you able to play the files that were downloaded fully from Amazon prior to this incident ?

How exactly did you take of the shadow storage in your HP recovery disc ?
Did you delete any documents manually ?

Edited by Renju on 6/6/2010 at 7:01 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. Yes. I did command prompt. Yes, deleted some documents manually. Flushed everything out of recycle bin, too. It was the most tedious and frustrating episode every.
Expert:  Renju replied 4 years ago.

I think that may well have caused the uncompleted downloads to go corrupt.
If it so, then i think we may have no other option that trying to download it again from Amazon.

As a precautionary measure, next time you download a music file , try only one and make sure that the download is completed and try to play it with Windows Media Player.
Only if you succeed , go for more downloads. If you have troubles , feel free to come back to us.

For the time being, I think you can download VLC from the link I mentioned earlier and see if you can play any of the .amz files.Try all of them because some of them might have downloaded completely and possibly are playable.

Another suggestion I would like to make is to copy contents like these (those for which you pay for) on another partition of the hard disk other than the one on which OS files are installed. So that you may not risk loosing them if you have to re install windows by formatting the partition.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have unistalled and reinstalled the Amazon MP3 downloader several times and still can't get it right on the media player. The amazon songs that already downloaded are .tmp files and I'm afraid the VLC application you gave me doesn't covert that file to .mp3 if I'm doing it correctly. Also, why can't there be a "universal" file format for ALL music downloads?
Expert:  Renju replied 4 years ago.

If the Amazon songs are tmp files , then there is nothing we can do to make them play. Tmp files are temporary files and cant be played , not even VLC.

You can do a search in your computer for *.amz to see if there are any other locations where they might have been backed up (by chance).

Regarding universal music file format, mp3 is quite common nowadays, but still .wav, .mp4, .aac files are still used. Each file type has its own advantages and drawbacks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Here's an example of amazon song downloaded like this: AMZ3395.tmp and open its properties. Would this help you?
Expert:  Renju replied 4 years ago.

Right click on the file and select Properties and see the size of the file.
Post the size here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

they're all 0 bytes

Expert:  Renju replied 4 years ago.

I guess you know what my response will be.

0 bytes means , that is the end. That file cant be repaired.Frown

Have you tried the search I suggested ? Use " *.amz " as search keyword. Include your hidden files and folders in the search.

Edited by Renju on 6/6/2010 at 8:02 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If the files can't be repaired, is it ok to delete from the computer. How do I do the search for *.amz in hidden files and folders?
Expert:  Renju replied 4 years ago.
Open START menu.
Click on Search (right side of start menu)
Search Window opens up
Click on Advanced Search on right top porton of the window.
Click on the check box saying "Include non indexed hidden and system files"
Type *.amz in search bar and press Enter key.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry, I'm still at a loss here. I clicked on the Start, I don't know where the advanced search is on r top of window. Also, I can't find "include non indexed hidden and system files" and also, do I key this exactly *.amz (with the asterisk?)
Expert:  Renju replied 4 years ago.

Click on START.
START menu opens up.

Are you able to see Search in the Start Menu ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Renju replied 4 years ago.

Click on Search and you will get a new window .
Are you able to see Advanced Search button there ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there's no new window. I clicked on search, nada. I right clicked on search, nada.
Expert:  Renju replied 4 years ago.

The following link will show you with pictures on how to do advanced search
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Searching-in-Windows-Vista-Part-3-Using-Advanced-Search-for-those-hard-to-find-files

Now refer to the link and also my earlier instructions, try to do search for " *.amz " files including the hidden files and folders.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I followed the link, in fact, I printed off the link you gave me and followed instructions. I thank you for your patience with me as I'm a "lay" person and not that tech savvy. I did as instructed and it was to no avail. It seems like the files are gone and I'll have to contact Amazon.com to rectify the situation. However, before I do that, I have one more thought to this and need your input. I checked the following: I clicked on control panel to programs to default programs to set associations and found the .amz was listed under the "description column" as Windows Media Player with the "current" default as Wiindows Media Player. Shouldn't that be read as under "description column" as Amazon MP3 Download with default as Windows Media Player? I tried to correct this to this reading and couldn't do it.
Expert:  Renju replied 4 years ago.

Yes. A simple re install of Amzon Mp3 downloader willl fix this issue.But , I am afraid it doesn't help the bigger problem that we have on our hands. All your amz files are missing from your computer.

I would recommend you to go to the Amazon website and read carefully about the downloading process using Amazon MP3 Downloader before trying to purchase more music files..Click here to learn more

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I have reinstalled and reinstalled the Amazon downloader. You missed my question, what should the .amz file correction indicate on the contol panel, programs, default program, set associations read as?
Expert:  Renju replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry.
amz file should have default program as Amazon MP3 downloader and set association read as Windows Media Player or I tunes(If you have it installed).

Renju, Computer Software Engineer
Experience: I have more than 5 years of experience in computer industry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Renju!! Wouldn's you know, after all that aggravation and frustration, my problem is fixed!!!!! It turned out that all my defaults and its associations were SCREWED up and all over the place! I can kick myself for resolving this and bugging you people after all this aggravation. Your time was generous and gracious. I thank you again for helping me get to the bottom of this problem. Take care, Renju! Smile