Aitizaz
Aitizaz, Software Engineer
Experience:  Vast exp. in troubleshooting,maintenance and counselling

I have a Dell Studio XPS laptop and the keyboard hs stopped

I have a Dell Studio XPS laptop and the keyboard hs stopped working. One year old. Backlight is working. Using MS onscreen keyboard to type this. Deployed soldier. Need a fix or find ou why. Thanks.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Aitizaz replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

did you drop any liquid on the keyboard or it just stopped working without any reason?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just stopped working mid-typing. I take very good care...nothing spilled or dropped. I use external platform cooling fan.
Expert:  Aitizaz replied 4 years ago.
Please do the following.

1. Click on the rounded windows button at the left-bottom.
2. in the search box, write device manager.

Click on the device manager when its shown in the result pane. tell me if you see any Yellow marks in the list
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no yellow marks found in search for 'device manager'
Expert:  Aitizaz replied 4 years ago.
not in search, but in the device manager window, which you will get once you double click device manager after search results.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no yellow marks found when i open device manager
Expert:  Aitizaz replied 4 years ago.
Go to CONTROL PANEL > EASE OF ACCESS > EASE OF ACCESS CENTRE

go to the keyboard option and tell me what do you see under each tab.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

'change how your keyboard works' option?

Expert:  Aitizaz replied 4 years ago.
open this option and tell me what do you see.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

'make the keyboard easier to use

control mouse with keyboard

make it easier to type

make it easier to use shortcuts'

All have sub items to choose.

Expert:  Aitizaz replied 4 years ago.
ok! the problem seems to be with the hardware rather than software.

so, in order to get it working right away, you can use a USB keyboard attached with your computer.

Also, you should take this to a hardware technician once you get around you to repair the issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thats what i was afraid of. nothing else i can try? thank you.
Expert:  Aitizaz replied 4 years ago.
you really shouldnt be taking risk as the computer is a new one.

the only thing that you can try is Re-installing the Operating system i.e. Windows Vista or use the SYSTEM RESTORE to take back your computer to a date previous to this problem. Both of these will work if you have any software problem ( which i think is just 10% of chance).
Aitizaz, Software Engineer
Experience: Vast exp. in troubleshooting,maintenance and counselling