Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

my computer wont open attachments or download docs

Customer Question

my computer wont open attachments or download doc's
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mike D - Computer/Electronics replied 4 years ago.

Hello! Lets dig through some options and troubleshooting so we can narrow down the problem.

First, can you describe to me what happens when you try to open the documents? Are you double clicking them to open them, or are you getting into Word or another program and trying to open it from there? Are you opening it from your email? Any error messages, or is it freezing, or nothing happening?

Explain in as much detail as you can. Also you said you tried to download an antivirus but it wont allow you, describe that as well.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
did you get that message it just froze again
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
<p>i cant get the info through to you it wont let me when i hit send it goes to blank screen</p><p>double click and hit download freezes at the pop up stage only cancel highlighted when normally run save and cancel. </p>
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
attachments from email not opening. box comes up but nothing.

Ok, try this first. Goto http://www.malwarebytes.org, click the download button and save it to your desktop.

Reboot and enter safe mode by pressing F8 before the Loading Windows screen comes up, choose Safe Mode with Networking Support. You can try to download any program you need once in safe mode, since your network support will be loaded with windows.

Once your in, run it and see if it finds anything. If it doesnt let you install it in safe mode (which it may not), then you'll have to see if you can install it in windows.

It sounds like you might be infected with something, but we will figure this out!

Let me know how it goes, and let me know if you experience any odd problems in Safe Mode.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you will let you know
Ok, I will be waiting.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
wont let me do F8 safe mode. still freezing
Does it freeze once you have gotten into safe mode? Or at the F8 Menu?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
rebooted pressed F8 nothing happened loaded normal
When you reboot, keep hitting F8 rapidly, atleast 1-2x every second. There's only a very short period of time when pressing F8 that it will take you into safe mode, so you have to spam the key to get it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
in safe mode, will try to install

Ok good! Let me know if you have any problems during the process. Try to download, install, update, and do a full system scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, then reply back here with your results.

Also when your finished, it should open a log file in Notepad, please copy and paste that here as well.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
will do it still installing
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
in safe mode it wont let me run the spyware you said it opens the download window and freezes, tried to down loadthe mcaffee it instllls askes to reboot then nothing is there. it is on the start menu but when i click on it it says fix now and then asks me to pay again

you have something coming up thats asking you to pay? Is it a popup window, or is there a yellow baloon that comes up on the bottom right of your screen?

If there is, it should be mentioning a specific program, what is the program name its talking about?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i click start then mcaffee security scan plus, click run scan, it tells me comp ar risk. click fix it then it throughs me to mcafee website and asks me to choose package, choose the package i paid for then it asks for my card details as though it a new purchase

That means your subscription time is out on McAfee. If you have already paid for it, then there's a problem with your subscription, for that you would have to contact McAfee, but before we do that, lets try to get your computer working correctly first.

When you try to download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, your saying its freezing. Is the whole computer freezing or is it just the download window or your internet browser?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just the down load window, when it normally says open/save and cancel on the tabs only cancel is highlighted but unable to click on anything that window freezes, only able to close it by task manager

do you have another computer with an internet connection and a flash drive? I'm assuming you have at least another computer, thats where your talking to me.

If you do, download that program on the other computer, and rename the file (dont change the extension) so that if a virus is recognizing that filename, it will not be able to recognize it now.

Then transfer that file over to the other computer and run it. Ive had a few instances of this where i couldn't even run the exe file after it was installed, and to get around that, i went and renamed the mbam.exe filename to something else like check.exe and it worked, and removed the infections.

Give that a shot, let me know how it goes, if you have the necessary tools to do this.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
tried that yesterday sent it back from work as i only have one pc here, tried different attachements and downloads but none worked

ok, what i need you to do is open your task manager, easiest way is to right click an empty spot on your start bar, and select Task Manager from the pop up menu. Then go to your Processes tab and click the User Name column title to sort by user name. Once thats done, reply to me and list each of the file names in the Image Name column, the only ones i need will show your login name as the user name. If your in safe mode, the name will probably say administrator.

It seems like theres a program running that you cant see thats causing all this, so hopefully if there is, this will help us figure out which one, and you can close it so you can run your anti-virus programs and get rid of it!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ctfmon.exe, taskmgr.exe, mcagent.exe, explorer.exe, iexplore.exe