Molinari
Molinari, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified IT Guru since C-64 and Amiga, expert at grey areas....
16561526

I cannot respond to ads placed on Craigslist. When I try to

Customer Question

I cannot respond to ads placed on Craigslist. When I try to relply to the posting windows mail opens and when I send it, I get an error message talking about "smtpathearthlink.net" & "ssL" something and POP server, whatever. HELP!!! I want to throw my computer through a wall!!! Please help! Displays error code 550.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Computer Engineer replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using justanswer.com
I am here to assist you regarding your problem

Please tell me the exact error message with error code

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Error code is 550
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
error code is 550
Expert:  Molinari replied 6 years ago.
What program do you use to send email normally?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Earthlink "webmail"
Expert:  Molinari replied 6 years ago.
That's the problem, what is happening, is when you click on the craoglist link, it is looking fror an email program, since you use webmail and not a program, it doesn't know what to do....

What you can do as a work around is right click on the email link and choose copy shortcut, then go into the webmail, and in the send to part, right click on it and choose paste.

The other alternative is to use the windows mail program which is built in to vista...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have tried that several times (copy & paste), but it tells me that it is an illegal address. It cannot be this hard to respond to ads. How do other people do it?
Expert:  Molinari replied 6 years ago.
It should work, that's strange....
I checked and they say the same thing I told yu already....
http://www.craigslist.org/about/help/replying_to_posts

People usually use an email program to do it....
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider.

The rejected e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'Electrician Needed (Anderson/Knox/loudon)', Account: 'windows mail', Server: 'smtpauth.earthlink.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 Please configure your mail client to use authentication.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

This is exactly what I get as an error message. Does this help?

Expert:  Molinari replied 6 years ago.
Does it do that to all the mail or just craigslist?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have not tried to send other mail thru this program, but it does happen when I use Craigslist. (every time) Is there help for me or should I toss my computer into the deep, blue sea?
Expert:  Molinari replied 6 years ago.
And get it oily?
Don't give up yet!
Try a few other emailings to other places so we can make sure it's set up correctly....
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, i sent another e-mail to a friend and no error message. What next? Thank you for your patience by the way.
Expert:  Molinari replied 6 years ago.
How many different ads have you tried?

Try this one as a test, it's an ad of mine (my wife is making me sell these).
I just tried it with outlook.....

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/app/1771602688.html
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Okay I tried that does it work?

Expert:  Molinari replied 6 years ago.
It takes a few minutes for them to forward it....

Did you get any error messages?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no. no error messages this time.
Expert:  Molinari replied 6 years ago.
How old was the ad that gave the error?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

maybe a day or two.

The rejected e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'Electricians ', Account: 'windows mail', Server: 'smtpauth.earthlink.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 Please configure your mail client to use authentication.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Expert:  Molinari replied 6 years ago.
Ok, I looked it up, it's not you, it's them,

"550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable (e.g., mailbox not found, no access, or command rejected for policy reasons)".

It seems like craigslist is sloppy when it comes to letting the anonymous emails time out...

Give me a link to the ad so I can verify that's what's happening....
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Here you go.

[email protected]?subject=Electricians%20&body=%0A%0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fnashville.craigslist.org%2Ftrd%2F1757112682.html%0A

Expert:  Molinari replied 6 years ago.
Damn, it got blocked by our wonderful site....
Give me the address of the actual page of the ad instead of the email address....

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/trd/1757112682.html

Expert:  Molinari replied 6 years ago.
How long does it usually take before the error happens?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the error message happens right away. It acts like it is sending it, but it doesn't

Expert:  Molinari replied 6 years ago.
I seem to recall this happening to me a while back, but I don't know if I was still on earthlink at the time....

I'm starting to get a feeling it's on earthlink like they have a spam filter that isn't letting it through, I haven't got the message from craigslist yet, and the email I sent had no error....

Try this, you may not be up for it, but I'll throw it out there....

Open up a free gmail account, and see if you can get that to co-operate.

http://mail.google.com

First try the cut and paste from their web mail, then if that works, you might as well set it up on your windows mail program....
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well my computer woes continue. Trying to set-up G-mail account, and they won't send me the veryfication code to my phone.
Expert:  Molinari replied 6 years ago.
How about to the earthlink account?
To further the pain, youu can try with a free yahoo mail account....