Ben M
Ben M, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Specialist 10 years of computer repair with 2 years of Tech Support Experience
22854261

How do I manually uninstall The Sims 3 and its expansion packs

How do I manually uninstall The Sims 3 and its expansion packs so I can reinstall them under Windows 7? Also I want to keep my custom contents.
Hello:

Thank You for contacting Just Answer.

First, you need to learn the difference between .package, .sim, and .sims3pack. Each of these are different file extensions that
custom content for The Sims 3 can come in. The easiest one to deal with is .sims3pack. To install this custom content, you simply double click it.
The process is automated, and you do not have to change any files. .sims3pack files are usually houses or community lots. .package files can be anything
from items to clothes, and .sim files are, well, Sims.

Create the required folders. You need to navigate to C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\. In this folder, right click and click
create new folder. Name the new folder Mods. Inside Mods, create a new folder named Packages. This is where any package files will go.
Go back to The Sims 3 root folder, and make a folder called SavedSims. This is where any .sim files will go.

Next, you need to make a configuration file that will tell The Sims 3 how to run the custom content. You have to put this file in The Sims 3
root folder, found at C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\. Right click somewhere blank, and click create new text document. Open the text
document, and copy and paste the following into it:

Priority 500
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*/*/.package

Save it as Resources.cfg (.cfg is the extension - make sure it is not .txt). You may need to rename it again, because it might save as
Resources.cfg.txt. Make sure the .txt is not there.

Now all you have to do is download the custom content.

Thank You,

Ben
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I want to manually uninstall the entire game The Sims 3, The Sims High End Loft Expansion pack amd the Sims 3 World Adventure expansion pack under Windows 7> Do I need to remove some files from the registry also?
Hello:

Ok, Go to start menu

All programs

Sims 3

open that folder

Uninstall Sims 3

You should not have to remove from the registry.

Thank You,

Ben
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried doing what you said and I got an error message Error Code: -5005 : 0x80070002
Error Information:
>Kernel\KernelMedia.cpp (95)
>SetupNew\setup.cpp (851)
PAPP:
PVENDOR:Electronic Arts (http://www.TheSims3.com)
PGUID:BA26FFA5-6D47-47DB-BE56-34C357B5F8CC
$15.0.0.498
@Windows Vista Service Pack 0 (7600)
IE Version: 8.0.7600.16385
Hello:

Ok, try to remove with Revo Uninstaller.

Here is the link:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Thank You,

Ben