Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

error No. 0x80040702 (failed to load DLL gameuxinstallhelper)

Customer Question

error No. 0x80040702 (failed to load DLL: gameuxinstallhelper) occurs when trying to install FSX on windows 7, after second disk inserted towards end of install which then finishes.

How can I resolve this problem and is it a common one?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer

When you click on the icon to start the installation process, please right click it instead and select "run as administrator"

This should then allow the loading of the DLL.

If you continue to have problems or need additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What do you mean when you refer to the icon, it is the windows installer that appears first after inserting disk one!
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for replying

When the windows installer comes up, cancel it please.

Then click on start, computer and go to the DVD / CD. Under the root of the CD you will see either setup.exe or a file with .msi

right click on this file and select "run as administrator" please

If you are still having problems, please let me know

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

your answer noted and tried, but could not see setup.exe or .msi in dialog box!

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
ok, so you went to computer and looked under the contents of the DVD? can you tell me what files (not folders) you did see please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry for delay, there are a lot of files to list, but i did try the setup file with no luck.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

ok, so you found the setup and it did the install and failed like usual?

Sorry need to be sure

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, started install again with disk one, it then quickly called for disk 2 but again came up with the same erroe message!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

ok, can you please create a shortcut to the setup file and put it on your desktop

Then right click on the shortcut and go to properties.

Choose compatibility and select Vista.

Also at the bottom check "run as administrator"

ok and save this and double click the shortcut to install please.

If you are still having problems, change the compatibility ti windows XP and try again.

Let me know if after this you are still having the error.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Have tried your last suggestions and run install again, twice!, but afraid I am still getting the error message. I never had any problems with previous versions of windows.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

ok, then I need you to copy the contents of both disks to two folders on your desktop (Disk 1 and Disk 2).

Remove the disks and run the installation from the copied file (remember to select "run as administrator"

Sorry, but Windows 7 can be "difficult" with some programs.

Please let me know if you have problems

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi again, despite your last suggestion of trying to install from desktop folders, I am still unable to load FSX and keep getting the same error, the Microsoft compatabilty tool does not seem to help either.

Any further thoughts on this issue please, as I am sure FSX is being used on Windows 7 by other users.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

ok, can you please do the following

Download the below program to your desktop

Click Me

1. Double-click the Msicuu2.exe package on your Desktop. Click Run if you are prompted to run or save the file.
  2. In the Windows Installer Clean Up Setup dialog box, click Next.
  3. Click I accept the License Agreement, and then click Next.
  4. Click Next to start the installation.
  5. When the installation is complete, click Finish.
  1. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Installer Clean Up.
  2. In the Installed Products list, remove any entries that are related toFSX.

When finished click exit

Restart the computer and install again "Run as Administrator"

Let me know how it goes please

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry for the delay in responding (network problem), your last answer enabled me to install FSX, but not to the right folders, however it will run but with problems. I may have to reinstall again to see if the path needs changing from that which came up, as any addons I have installed do not show in the main program.

I think I should have stuck with XP!

Best regards

Richard Hobbs

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

I do advise to do the installation again as the addons are most likely looking for the default folder location.

Let me know how it goes please