Colin Vincent
Colin Vincent, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  City of Guilds 224, Kyocera, IBM, Novell certifications. 24 years IT experience.

my keyboard is Putting when I hit the @ key and vice versa.

my keyboard is Putting " when I hit the @ key and vice versa. How can I get it fixed?

Can you tell me which version of Windows you are using ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
windows 7 home premium. Just installed it 2 days ago, upgraded from vista. Keyboard was workinf fine before upgrading.

It sounds like you may have a non UK (maybe US) keyboard layout set in the regional settings. The US keyboard switches certain characters to new locations.

If you open the control panel from the program list and go to the regional and language settings and then keyboard and languages.

Make sure the keyboard is set for UK. Windows 7 defaults to US so that is what you may currently be on.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

tried that already without success

Is it set to Uk is the settings ?

Even though you changed it to Uk in control panel if US is still loaded also it may still be the active language.

On the taskbar there should be a language bar which describes the active language which should show Uk if the switch went ok.

I would also make sure the default input language is also set to uk in the same section as you set the keyboard.

You may need to reboot to see the changes.

Edited by Colin Vincent on 5/27/2010 at 11:17 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yeah, looking at it right now. Reads English (United Kingdom)-United Kingdom
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hey! if you are still here, I rebooted after changing the settings and it has resloved the problem.

Thanks for your help. I get a bit like a dog with a bone with little challenges like this and I'd hate to think how much time I've spent trying to sort this little niggle out.

Ha ha i was just typing have you tried a reboot.

You must have read my mind