James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.

1TB WD My Book Essential with lost password that using the

Customer Question

1TB WD My Book Essential with lost password XXXXX using the WD Smartware software.
How can I access the original data on the drive with formatting or erasing of any sort? Need to reset the password, but how?

Thanks
Category: Computer
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
There is no way to retrieve the data without the password, since the data is actually encrpyted using the password.
You can remove the partition from the disk, create a new partition and format it to regain use of the disk. Any data on the disk will be deleted.

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There has to be a way to reset the account in the drive's firmware. WD has not released any info on this. Must have access to the data on the drive. Formatting is not what I am looking for.
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Try this:

1. Turn off the device and disconnect all cables from the unit.
2. Insert a paperclip or narrow tipped pen into the recovery slot on the back of the
unit. Press and hold down the recovery button.
3. While continuing to hold down the recovery button, connect the power cable to
the back of the unit.
4. Hold the recovery button down until 10 seconds after the power/activity LED
lights on the front of the device, then release the button. The unit may take up to
three minutes to boot up completely.
Note: The default user name is XXXXX XXXXX the default password XXXXX 123456.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not a good answer, since you copied it from the whatever forum is called. Additionally, this solution does not apply for this drive. it works on NAS type of externals.
You got something else?
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
This is the USB type of drive?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, it is an external
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Okay, then it is as I told you. The password XXXXX the data, and there is no way to retrieve it without the password. There would not be much point in having a password XXXXX there was a way to get to the data without it, right?

I understand this is not a "happy" answer, but you won't find another one. You don't have to accept my answer if you are not happy.

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Trust, not quite always, but just about every time, there is a way around it. I was looking more for an answer from somebody who could have taken the smartware.exe and look at the commands code and reverse engineer the code. Unfortunately for me, do not understand the code, nor have time to learn it.

But thanks for the effort!
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
That wouldn't help either. The software encrypts the data using an non-reversible key, which is the password. It is a pretty standard feature in an encryption software - understanding how the algorithm works doesn't help you decrypt without the password.

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: It is a complete answer, however does not solve the problem..
It is a complete answer, however does not solve the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer does not solve my problem. Need somebody who actually understands assembly code WD HDDs work with..
Answer does not solve my problem. Need somebody who actually understands assembly code WD HDDs work with.