David L
David L, Systems Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft & Cisco Certified with over 20 years experience
13852270

my delete button does not work on emails but it does work on

Customer Question

my delete button does not work on emails but it does work on the internet
Category: Computer
Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

First, please provide more details so that I can better assist you.

What is the name of your email service provider?

Also, are you using web mail rather than an email program and if so what web browser are you using?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Outlook express is my emails Virgin

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Ok then in Outlook Express click File, Folders then Compact All Folders then restart Outlook Express and test to see if it works. If not then empty the deleted items folder, compact again and restart Outlook Express and retest.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have done what you suggested and it has made no diffrence
Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Ok then next click on the Deleted Items folder then click File then Folders then Compact. Then right click on the Deleted Items folder and select to empty the folder then in your Inbox delete items you do not need then back to the Deleted Items folder empty it again then compact again then restart Outlook Express and test again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have carried out all that you suggested and it has made no difference

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Next highlight (select) one email message at a time and press the Delete and Shift keys at the same time. This will permanently delete the message rather than send to the Deleted Items folder. If that works do it with several emails then Compact All Folders and then continue to delete some more to bring down the size of the Outlook Express. email storage file.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Why have I been charged £13 when the problem I have with my delete key is still the same not working on Emails. I have not clicked on Accept Answer so why?

Tom Ainsworth

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
The funds have not been paid out and are for the deposit made into your Just Answer account when the question was opened. So your money is still in your Just Answer account.

Next please let me know if you were able to follow the procedure above to resolve the issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have tried all the various ideas you suggested and it is still the same delete key not working on emails

Tom Ainsworth

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Ok then next follow the instructions at the link below to create a new Outlook Express Identity then verify the new identity works with your email and the delete key then import your messages from the old identity to the new identity and then verify that the new identity is working with the delete key:

Create New Identity

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My delete key still does not work on emails after your latest answer

Tom

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Ok then just to clarify, the delete key does not work with the new identity before importing any of the emails and other information?

If so then next follow the instructions at the link below to reinstall Outlook Express (by reinstalling Internet Explorer):

Reinstall Outlook Express
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes it worked

Tom

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Ok then since it works with the new identity the next step would e to move/import all your messages and contact information from the old identity to the new one essentially recreating the old identity without the damaged identity configuration files. To do this follow the Create New Identity instructions at the link below:

Create New Identity

and let me know if you need assistance with any of the steps.