James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.

I have a Sony Vaio VPCCW17FX laptop. The computer crashed and

I have a Sony Vaio VPCCW17FX laptop. The computer crashed and Sony sent me recovery disks. As I go through the process per the instructions I keep getting a warning "The capacity of the C:drive is too small and cannot be resized..." What do I do now?
Category: Computer
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
You will need to opt out of the Vaio contents if the disk is too small for the recovery. This should allow enough room for your Windows to be restored.

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not understand - how do I do that?
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Run the procedure again. When asked if you want to keep the contents, answer no.

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Got the same message
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a Windows XP CD?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no - but tis laptop has Windows 7
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Okay - do you have the Windows 7 operating system CD?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't think so - would that have come with the computer?
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it should have. Can you check?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not finding it - can I download it to another laptop? Isn't the ecovery disk supposed to re-install it?
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
It is supposed to install it, but it is failing because the partition on your disk is too small.
Are you getting any other options during the restore process?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the initial screen says to choose between "Start Vaio Recovery Center" and "Repair Windows 7" it also gives me the option of hitting F8 for more choices
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
And once you start the recovery center, do you get any more options, or just the question about whether you want to keep the value added content or not?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the first screen has 5 options:

Vaio hardwqare diagnostics

RestoreC: drive

Restore complete system

Rescue data

Wipe and erase data

BTW, they sent me 5 disks - the only one the computer seems to be able to read is disk 1. On the box that the disks came in it has the number XXXXXXXXX Interestingly, the 5 disks begin with the last 2 digits starting at 26 and going through 30 - I don't know if that means anything (unless they sent the wrong disk(s))

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
The disks are fine - only the first one is supposed to be bootable.

Are you expecting to get any data back from the drive, or is it okay if everything on it is wiped?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes it is ok to wipe
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Okay. So let's go for Wipe and Erase data. Once that's done, try the restore complete system again please.

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It says to select the hard disk drive to erase but it does not give me any options where it says"Internal hard disk drive list" - there is just a big blank white box
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Ah! So now we get to the bottom of the issue. I think your hard drive is dead, and this is why the recovery is failing. Tell me about what has transpired before - why did you even start going for a restore?

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Very strange. The laptop was working fine. It may not have been shut off properly in that the lid may have been closed without going through the shutdown process (I am not sure about this). In any event, the next day I went to use it and could not get anything but a black screen, a flashing dash in the upper left corner and the message "A disk read error occurred; Press ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Okay, so now I'm convinced. Your hard drive died, and this is why you got the disk read error, and also why you can't recover your system.
You need to get a new drive and replace the defective one, and then the system restore will work.

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks for your help. Last questions, if you know - is this type of failure typically a warranty covered issue? any idea waht causes this?
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Yes, if your computer is still under warranty, it should be covered and they should give you a new disk at no charge.

The disk drive is the most vulnerable piece of the computer, it spins 5400 times a second (or more). They do die quite easily, sometimes prematurely, like yours.

J.
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience: 20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.